Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

  • He will only manage the double

    Votes: 5 100.0%

  • Total voters
    5
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
SeriousSam said:
Not for the podium, no, but in a Tour that offers little opportunity to make individual strength count, losing 30 seconds to Froome today is a very bad day if you want to win the Tour.

We'll see immediately once it goes uphill whether Porte is the best climber. If he isn't, the only reasonable scenario in which Froome doesn't win the Tour is if he crashes.
Yeah, especially considering Porte put 37 seconds into Froome just a couple of weeks ago in a slightly longer and hillier TT. I'd be disappointed personally if I were Porte.
That TT was run on dry roads. Strenght was all that was important. Today was about how much risk you were willing to take. Porte could have done the same time as Froome. But that would also increase the chance of falling. Froome didn't seem to care...
 
Clearly Porte doesn't take big risks. That's ok, he survived and can concentrate on the rest of the race. There is a long way to go. Stage 5 is where he can start to make amends. Froome gambled today and his numbers came up. Props to him.
 
No surprise, Porte is a pretty horrible bike-handler. Remember his ITT in Paris-Nice?

I can't see him winning this race. He is in the same situation as Contador and Quintana now that Valverde is done: they all need to be significantly stronger than Froome uphill to win the race. With teams very inferior to what Sky possesses.
 
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Not a good start. Not catastrophic, but not good. Porte shouldn't be finishing a TT behind Yates and barely ahead of Dan Martin. It's also not particularly great news for him that Roche hit the deck.
He was obviously timid in the wet. Knowing the problems with crashes / bad luck he's had in past years and the expectations this year not that surprising. But yes still disappointing he didn't do better. He still did better than Aru, Contador and Bardet so could have been worse. Also means he is less likely to take yellow in stage 5 PDBF which will save his team. Unfortunately it also means a boring race is more likely with Froome and Thomas defending yellow and riders like Porte more likely to sit on wheels until the 3rd week.
 
Re: Re:

bajbar said:
Brullnux said:
SeriousSam said:
Not for the podium, no, but in a Tour that offers little opportunity to make individual strength count, losing 30 seconds to Froome today is a very bad day if you want to win the Tour.

We'll see immediately once it goes uphill whether Porte is the best climber. If he isn't, the only reasonable scenario in which Froome doesn't win the Tour is if he crashes.
Yeah, especially considering Porte put 37 seconds into Froome just a couple of weeks ago in a slightly longer and hillier TT. I'd be disappointed personally if I were Porte.
That TT was run on dry roads. Strenght was all that was important. Today was about how much risk you were willing to take. Porte could have done the same time as Froome. But that would also increase the chance of falling. Froome didn't seem to care...
My point was that this was a day that Porte could have and should have expected to gain time on Froome, but he has ended up 35 seconds back. The conditions were poor but it isn't a good start; I completely understand the reasons why he took it very conservatively, but it remains to be seen whether he'll regret it later on. Also if he is scared now on a flat and not very technical TT, I fear for him on the descent of Mont Du Chat if it's wet. He is starting to look like Wiggins Mark 2.
 
Re:

Netserk said:
Unfortunately, his weak team will probably mean that he'll ride the Sky train for most of PdBF before he launches. If he could dictate the tempo, I think he would be able to distance Froomey.
You mean fortunately :D . No yellow jersey. So no team requirement to work in the front and then get exhausted by the third week and so no ambush like the Dauphine
 
Re: Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Netserk said:
Unfortunately, his weak team will probably mean that he'll ride the Sky train for most of PdBF before he launches. If he could dictate the tempo, I think he would be able to distance Froomey.
You mean fortunately :D . No yellow jersey. So no team requirement to work in the front and then get exhausted by the third week and so no ambush like the Dauphine
Porte is probably more nervous in Yellow than without it. The safety first approach means that Porte probably still has the past on his mind. Getting through the first week without incidents can only be a win for Porte.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Porte did say at the press conference that he was aiming for the podium...which I thought was strange thing to say when other BMC riders and staff said they were riding for yellow
Maybe he knows once he gave up 30 seconds to Froome, it's possibly too difficult to dislodge Froome from yellow especially with the strength of Sky's team. Probably, he is mentally conceded so he adjusted his outlook and go for podium instead?
 
Re:

Robert5091 said:
LRP needs to "team up" with other GC contenders to ambush Sky, otherwise it'll be one long ride with his BFF Dawg to Paris.
The race is likely over. Froome actually didn't take too many risks in the corners so his power output must be insane. Plus Kiry, G, and Kwiato count for three riders ...each. Good luck trying to ambush Sky in a flat or transitional stage.
 
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Robert5091 said:
LRP needs to "team up" with other GC contenders to ambush Sky, otherwise it'll be one long ride with his BFF Dawg to Paris.
Froome actually didn't take too many risks in the corners so his power output must be insane
Do you have any evidence Froome was equally as timid as Porte? Hint: Video is not a good guide. You may be right but I'd prefer to wait for stage 5 and we will have a better indication if Froome has pulled a rabbit out of his hat. At this moment I think it more likely this is normal forum hype.
 
Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Robert5091 said:
LRP needs to "team up" with other GC contenders to ambush Sky, otherwise it'll be one long ride with his BFF Dawg to Paris.
Froome actually didn't take too many risks in the corners so his power output must be insane
Do you have any evidence Froome was equally as timid as Porte?
I didn't make that claim.
 
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
Netserk said:
Unfortunately, his weak team will probably mean that he'll ride the Sky train for most of PdBF before he launches. If he could dictate the tempo, I think he would be able to distance Froomey.
You mean fortunately :D . No yellow jersey. So no team requirement to work in the front and then get exhausted by the third week and so no ambush like the Dauphine
Porte is probably more nervous in Yellow than without it. The safety first approach means that Porte probably still has the past on his mind. Getting through the first week without incidents can only be a win for Porte.
The safety first approach won't though win the TDF.
 
Re: Re:

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Cookster15 said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Robert5091 said:
LRP needs to "team up" with other GC contenders to ambush Sky, otherwise it'll be one long ride with his BFF Dawg to Paris.
Froome actually didn't take too many risks in the corners so his power output must be insane
Do you have any evidence Froome was equally as timid as Porte?
I didn't make that claim.
Maybe, but if Froome was less timid than Porte then the power output difference is not known so we should wait until stage 5 rather than make bold confident claims about the race is likely over and Froome's monster power after one rainy wet and dangerous short TT.

Today was not indicative of much except Porte hasn't lost the timidity he showed descending Mont du Chat in the Dauphine.
 
Re: Re:

bambino said:
movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:
Netserk said:
Unfortunately, his weak team will probably mean that he'll ride the Sky train for most of PdBF before he launches. If he could dictate the tempo, I think he would be able to distance Froomey.
You mean fortunately :D . No yellow jersey. So no team requirement to work in the front and then get exhausted by the third week and so no ambush like the Dauphine
Porte is probably more nervous in Yellow than without it. The safety first approach means that Porte probably still has the past on his mind. Getting through the first week without incidents can only be a win for Porte.
The safety first approach won't though win the TDF.
No but if other riders have incidents and Porte doesn't it could help. No one expects Porte to suddenly become Contador version 1 so the only way Porte can win is to be consistent, do better in the second TT and out climb Froome. Simple !
 
So, it looks like Richie crashed too.
Took a hard one on his right knee.

Froome, Bardet, Porte..Crashed
Valverde, Ion ..Crashed out.

Crashed playing a major role in the GC battle. Not good
 
Re:

silvergrenade said:
So, it looks like Richie crashed too.
Took a hard one on his right knee.

Froome, Bardet, Porte..Crashed
Valverde, Ion ..Crashed out.

Crashed playing a major role in the GC battle. Not good
It is a miracle Bertie hasn't crashed yet... fingers crossed it stays this way!
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
silvergrenade said:
So, it looks like Richie crashed too.
Took a hard one on his right knee.

Froome, Bardet, Porte..Crashed
Valverde, Ion ..Crashed out.

Crashed playing a major role in the GC battle. Not good
Nothing extraordinary here. It's the same every year.
A massive exaggeration from someone brandishing an image of their idol as an avatar picture.

Bardet looked fine.

So did half the riders who went down.

Porte was not shown at all. He was fine.

Froome, said posters idol, was actually not looking great.

Until a full news report or the teams make statements, I'll go on what clearly was shown...Froome, down and looking like he needed some help.

Anyone remember 2014?

That boy needs to stay upright. He was the first rider to run into the Katusha rider who went down.

What about Porte?

Haven't heard a peep on social media or news reports alluding to any knee concern. It's Froome who looked wobbly.
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Re:

rick james said:
Froome was fine, he was just on a bike that wasn't his after the crash, he'll be fine, we will get Porte V Froome soon enough
What a load of BS.

HE is the defending champion.

They took a bike, off the team car, for him!!

They are really incompetent if they didn't give him a spare setup for him.

Go Rick Roll yourself and then, please use your brain and say intelligently things. Sky "Marignal Gains and Fancy Extras Galore" don't not put a spare bike on for their numero uno rider and they most certainly do not fail to give him his spare when he asks for it.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts