• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
movingtarget said:
Porte kinda sounds resigned these days. Maybe the constant disappointments have been too much for him. Still I always think it's better to go into the Tour with some improvement left in the legs but with Porte it's going to have to be quite a bit at this stage. Maybe he's just trying to stay off the hype pages which isn't a bad thing.

If you say this after having heard him say something, it could just be his voice.

To me, he has always sounded resigned.

But I heard Chris Anker Sørensen saying that he had heard from sources that Porte did not care that much about cycling any longer, so he may actually be resigned this time.

No not his voice, more the words. The fighting words seem to be missing these days, a lot more uncertain.

Cookster15 said:
Robert5091 said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tou...rte-suffers-ill-timed-mechanical-on-mt-baldy/
A dropped chain hampered Trek-Segafredo leader Richie Porte's efforts to be among the select climbers racing for the stage 6 victory at the Tour of California in the last kilometre of the summit finish on Mt. Baldy on Friday.

The curse of the illegal gel continues ...

A dropped chain -> Illegal gel? Please explain?

LRP has had the curse since - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-penalised-20-seconds-for-illegal-feeding/

tobydawq said:
movingtarget said:
Porte kinda sounds resigned these days. Maybe the constant disappointments have been too much for him. Still I always think it's better to go into the Tour with some improvement left in the legs but with Porte it's going to have to be quite a bit at this stage. Maybe he's just trying to stay off the hype pages which isn't a bad thing.

If you say this after having heard him say something, it could just be his voice.

To me, he has always sounded resigned.

But I heard Chris Anker Sørensen saying that he had heard from sources that Porte did not care that much about cycling any longer, so he may actually be resigned this time.
Dont think thats true at all. Porte was good of the beginning of the year as usual and has been been plagued by misfortune as always. He is slowly getting back into shape again and his TT today suggests to me theres a long time to go still, but that he can be there in a month. Still, I don't see him having his best level from 2016-2018 simply due to age.

I also heard from Chris Anker that Porte needed to win today's TT, otherwise he couldn't win TdF.

Re:

yaco said:
Realistically this was the perfect ITT for Porte - His performance suggests he 's still off the mark - An inform Porte would have ridden TVG's time - He's got a way to go.

Will maybe be a top form in 3rd week of Tour...the hard part
Now with Froome gone and Dumoulin with injury it could be a good year for Porte at the Tour
Unfortunately his main threat is himself....If he can stay on his bike for the last week then he could do very well

What''s up with LRP? At this point he's either holding up to surprise everyone at the Tour, or he's not even close to be in a good shape at all. Now that Froome is gone, this is Porte's once in a lifetime opportunity to shine- otherwise he should start getting used to being domestique deluxe for NIbali when he arrives...

Re:

hfer07 said:
What''s up with LRP? At this point he's either holding up to surprise everyone at the Tour, or he's not even close to be in a good shape at all. Now that Froome is gone, this is Porte's once in a lifetime opportunity to shine- otherwise he should start getting used to being domestique deluxe for NIbali when he arrives...

He wasn't too far behind. Either he doesn't quite have it anymore, or he is doing a Nibali (being in the level of form that the shark is usually in about this far out from a GT). We will probably receive our answer on stage 6 of Le Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-tour-de-france-for-degenkolb-as-trek-segafredo-focus-on-richie-porte/
I cant believe that trek screwed threir chances of a stage win and put all their eggs on an uncertain Porte basket :surprised: . Or maybe its that policy of not taking riders not signed up for next year to the main event

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/no-tour-de-france-for-degenkolb-as-trek-segafredo-focus-on-richie-porte/
I cant believe that trek screwed threir chances of a stage win and put all their eggs on an uncertain Porte basket :surprised: . Or maybe its that policy of not taking riders not signed up for next year to the main event
The reporting standards of CN sink even further. According to CN, Degenkolb saved Trek's Tour effort last year after LRP crashed out. Seems that CN don't realise that he wasn't riding for Trek last year.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Yeah, sounds pretty bad, but it's probably because of him not resigning.
They are bringing Ciccone, so if Porte fails they have him to go stagehunting in the mountains alongside Mollema.

Re:

hfer07 said:
a baby came into his life, maybe took his mind off cycling a bit

Re:

movingtarget said:
Porte playing possum or still way off target ? Quintana looks as bad.

My guess is Porte still has some condition to find before the Tour. At least he isn't coming into the Tour too hot. But as usual with him he needs to stay on the bike for three weeks. A big ask. I have low confidence but would be nice to be surprised in his twilight year(s).

Yingge said:
IndianCyclist said:
The reporting standards of CN sink even further. According to CN, Degenkolb saved Trek's Tour effort last year after LRP crashed out. Seems that CN don't realise that he wasn't riding for Trek last year.

It's been removed since, but however they phrased it, and whether they forgot LRP was still with BMC 12 months ago, it's a not invalid point. Degenkolb's stage win did save Trek's tour last year. And it just happened to come on the day that Porte crashed out.

Richie’s nemesis coming up: the dreaded stage 9 that has ended his tour the last two years. Will he make it to the stage 10 start line unscathed?
I actually think Porte has kept his nose clean so far. Flying under the radar. His young teammate Giulio Ciccone even took the limelight with yellow. If he stays upright Porte should get better as the race draws on towards the 2nd half. He was thereabouts on stage 6 the first big test. Let’s see.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Richie’s nemesis coming up: the dreaded stage 9 that has ended his tour the last two years. Will he make it to the stage 10 start line unscathed?
I actually think Porte has kept his nose clean so far. Flying under the radar. His young teammate Giulio Ciccone even took the limelight with yellow. If he stays upright Porte should get better as the race draws on towards the 2nd half. He was thereabouts on stage 6 the first big test. Let’s see.

The early climbing stages seems to have settled the race down. The first week carnage was mostly avoided. Porte didn't need more time loss yesterday but neither did the others. The first MTF in the Pyrenees will provide answers for most of the GC riders. I'm still not 100 % sold on Pinot at this stage even though his race has gone perfectly so far.

TRENDING THREADS