• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Much better ride today which makes his negativity of recent days even harder to explain. Probably the best TT I have seen from him for a few years - and that includes 2016 when he finished 5th.

Who knows which Richie turns up tomorrow or if Trek does not screw up again. But he climbed well to La Planche Des Belles Filles. That was when he was most vulnerable with his late prep due to illness. Today suggests he should continue to improve. If he does he can claw his way back into the top 10 and who knows.

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Much better ride today which makes his negativity of recent days even harder to explain. Probably the best TT I have seen from him for a few years - and that includes 2016 when he finished 5th.

Who knows which Richie turns up tomorrow or if Trek does not screw up again. But he climbed well to La Planche Des Belles Filles. That was when he was most vulnerable with his late prep due to illness. Today suggests he should continue to improve. If he does he can claw his way back into the top 10 and who knows.

Yes a very good TT ride. That should give him confidence for the rest of the race. Next two stages are critical.

Re: Re:

perico said:
F_Cance said:
If not for the Crosswind Stage and the TTT he would be 3rd in GC. Can't have everything. At least he is still in the Tour.

Those are two pretty big ifs.

They are, but.... it does indicate that his form good, so at least for himself, he should be feeling confident. He may move up GC as others fall off. I don’t think a podium is impossible.

Its been an underwhelming performance from Richie, decent time-trial and no big time losses, but I expected a bit more

I noticed a comment that on the Tourmalet stage he felt the rest had gone to deep, so he should have been crushing them yesterday instead of hanging on to Thomas group, he must have thought the rest where going to blow up

He will probably be super strong in the alps now, but looking round to see where CF is :lol:

movingtarget said:
Scarponi said:
movingtarget said:
Top 10 still possible. Hope he can hold it together in the Alps.
It would be ironic if he scores his first top 10 and best result in the tour from a year where he has not performed at all compared to the years he came in off the back of early season races where he destroyed everyone.

Don't forget his fifth in 2016..........
Completely forgot

We are seeing the result of his delayed start due to early season illness. After he managed to finish with Bernal to La Planche Des Belles Filles I thought he might be fine but he obviously pushed himself well into the red to 5th in the TT but if you don't have the condition you don't recover fast enough.

Lack of underlying condition was evident the following day to the Tourmalet but then he did better the following day to Prat d'Albis.

Who knows he might scrape back into the top 10 which would still be a good result for him.

Scarponi said:
movingtarget said:
Scarponi said:
movingtarget said:
Top 10 still possible. Hope he can hold it together in the Alps.
It would be ironic if he scores his first top 10 and best result in the tour from a year where he has not performed at all compared to the years he came in off the back of early season races where he destroyed everyone.

Don't forget his fifth in 2016..........
Completely forgot

Yes many forget who don't follow him. I had almost given up on Richie by then but he proved in 2016 he could put it together for three weeks.

Plus that 5th was after he lost almost two minutes in stage 2 when he suffered a very untimely puncture six kilometres from the finish and then received a slow rear wheel change from the neutral service. The old Porte would have tossed in the towel. But he toiled and delivered in week 3. Fully deserved to podium.

He is basically the same age as Fuglsang who hasn't finished higher than 7th in 2013 but who gets a lot of love in here due to 1 week results.

movingtarget said:
roundabout said:
So probably not even a top-10 in the end. Illness or not, this was probably the end of his GT leading days.

35 next year with new talent coming through and already arrived it seems top 10's will be about his limit now at least in grand tours.

Agreed. My hopes raised when he finished with Bernal on stage 6. But he didn't improve enough and yesterday showed he was hanging on for his life. An unfulfilled talent in my view.

Cookster15 said:
movingtarget said:
roundabout said:
So probably not even a top-10 in the end. Illness or not, this was probably the end of his GT leading days.

35 next year with new talent coming through and already arrived it seems top 10's will be about his limit now at least in grand tours.

Agreed. My hopes raised when he finished with Bernal on stage 6. But he didn't improve enough and yesterday showed he was hanging on for his life. An unfulfilled talent in my view.

Reminds me a little of Michael Rodgers grand tour career, good TT rider, good in the mountains without being the best but many problems. Rodgers instead of persevering as a top 10 rider took the other route and became a very good domestique for the likes of Contador and Wiggins while also picking up some nice stage wins and was obviously well paid and in demand as a domestique.

TRENDING THREADS