• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 143 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Rogers was apparently a very good road captain, and a major reason why the Sky 2012 Tour team was still probably the best line up they have fielded at the Tour, despite having a much lower budget than now. Of course, Porte was part of that team too but I don't think he has the same road captain qualities that Rogers had.

Re:

dastott said:
Rogers was apparently a very good road captain, and a major reason why the Sky 2012 Tour team was still probably the best line up they have fielded at the Tour, despite having a much lower budget than now. Of course, Porte was part of that team too but I don't think he has the same road captain qualities that Rogers had.

No of course. I meant physical capabilities.

Re:

barmaher said:
Porte reached a way higher level of climbing than Rogers ever did.

Agreed for 5 or 6 years Porte has had one of the top 3 best climbing performances of the year. Seems he always went to hard around Paris Nice time but did not have the luck and killer instinct to attack in GTs. He had nailed just one podium around 2015/6 I am sure he would have raced differently.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
barmaher said:

Yes I suppose and Rodgers had the edge in the TT but their grand tour results were quite similar. But the climbing was mainly better in shorter stage races not GTs. Don't think Porte ever won a mountain stage in a GT ?

Porte has indeed never won a stage in a Grand Tour (which Bernal hasn't either, for that matter).

So it finally seems over for Richie now, no illusions of any Tour podium no more. Too bad the crashed out in 2017 and 2018 to a lesser extent.

Curious to see what he makes of himself now. Maybe the Giro, but most likely the usual stuff. Just gotta peak for those one week stage races now.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
So it finally seems over for Richie now, no illusions of any Tour podium no more. Too bad the crashed out in 2017 and 2018 to a lesser extent.

Curious to see what he makes of himself now. Maybe the Giro, but most likely the usual stuff. Just gotta peak for those one week stage races now.

Agree. 2017 in particular the biggest lost opportunity in the form he was in. We knew after 2016 he could last three weeks. Yes, maybe hilly 1 week stage races - early in season PN which has done well before or T-A ?

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
movingtarget said:
barmaher said:

Yes I suppose and Rodgers had the edge in the TT but their grand tour results were quite similar. But the climbing was mainly better in shorter stage races not GTs. Don't think Porte ever won a mountain stage in a GT ?

Porte has indeed never won a stage in a Grand Tour (which Bernal hasn't either, for that matter).

That's genuinely shocking. On his day, he was capable of competing with Froome at his peak

I'm sure he'll win one in the twilight of his career

Basically cant do anything for the rest of the season skipping a mountanious race like Utah and obviously the Vuelta as well.

Poor one day racer as well.

Waste of a season again, basically.

Bizarro. Surely he isn't doing the Worlds. Don't think he would be picked anyway. Even the two Canadian races and Lombardy would be something without being a chance to win. He must be riding for someone else. Never really understood his choices re the calendar. The early starts in Australia when his main aims are in April and July.....................would like to see him do the Giro but he won't I don't think.

I can understand why he wouldn't want to ride 2 gts in a row, but there is no excuse for not riding some shorter stage races that feature a decent amount of climbing like the Tour of Utah. He has no real chance to be a major factor in Lombardia, but a race like Milano-Torino that is really linear could be something for him.
Instead you have him doing a stupid Everest challenge after finishing the Tour, the team is probably not too happy with his season.

I can understand why he wouldn't want to ride 2 gts in a row, but there is no excuse for not riding some shorter stage races that feature a decent amount of climbing like the Tour of Utah. He has no real chance to be a major factor in Lombardia, but a race like Milano-Torino that is really linear could be something for him.
Instead you have him doing a stupid Everest challenge after finishing the Tour, the team is probably not too happy with his season.

Maybe this is a sign that his career is winding down. His contract is up at the end of next season and he will be 36 the following year. Can't really see him wanting to go back to domestique duties like Roche or Pozzo. Ciccone might be team leading in 2021 or maybe someone new to the team. Nibali is basically in the same boat but at a higher level of course.

He's in Trek though. So nonsensical decisions are to be expected since last couple of years... ;)

Porte is a bit of a puzzling rider, I agree, but many, many talented riders who were pegged as GT winners haven't done so. I really though he'd win one with BMC, tbh. Now...I don't know. You could look at a guy like Bardet, or, honestly, even Landa, who just haven't been able to put it together yet, and may never.

I doubt he has the "mentality of a loser" -- I'd say he's mismanaged his career a little bit, and has had some bad luck with crashes (or perhaps is missing some bike handling skills) and with BMC disbanding.

Reactions: claude cat

TRENDING THREADS