• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 144 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
I look at Richie Porte, 30 professional wins, including lots of WT weeklong race wins. Key helper in Froome's early Tour wins. Obviously extremely talented and hard working for over a decade.

I look at you. Making posts like this.

You call Porte a loser....

Well you don't know anything about my life so...

Anyway regarding Porte, he is obviously very talented and that together with hardwork and the fact that not many GC riders care about those races explain those wins. However, I always get the impression that he underachieved and the mental part is to blame, that's why I said he has the mentality of a loser. Just to give a few examples.

In 2014 Froome crashed out of the Tour giving Porte a great opportunity to do a great GC result, polka dot jersey, stage wins and achieved none of these.

Last year after his crash in the Tour he did absolutely nothing in the Vuelta or Worlds. Just compare his post-Tour season with Nibali who also abandoned the Tour with a fracture and you can see the difference between a true champion and someone like Porte. Contador and Froome in 2014 are also two good examples.

This year he underachieves during the whole season including the Tour and instead of having a crack at the Vuelta, a race in which he never achieved a great result, he decides to do races in which he won't be a contender.

So although he isn't a loser in life, far from it, his mentality certainly hampered his chances of becoming a great champion.

Anyway regarding Porte, he is obviously very talented and that together with hardwork and the fact that not many GC riders care about those races explain those wins. However, I always get the impression that he underachieved and the mental part is to blame, that's why I said he has the mentality of a loser. Just to give a few examples.

In 2014 Froome crashed out of the Tour giving Porte a great opportunity to do a great GC result, polka dot jersey, stage wins and achieved none of these.

Last year after his crash in the Tour he did absolutely nothing in the Vuelta or Worlds. Just compare his post-Tour season with Nibali who also abandoned the Tour with a fracture and you can see the difference between a true champion and someone like Porte. Contador and Froome in 2014 are also two good examples.

This year he underachieves during the whole season including the Tour and instead of having a crack at the Vuelta, a race in which he never achieved a great result, he decides to do races in which he won't be a contender.

So although he isn't a loser in life, far from it, his mentality certainly hampered his chances of becoming a great champion.

That's pure BS!!! At least 98% of the peloton would be delighted with the wins he has, and I even don't like Porte at all!:rolleyes:

Porte has done well from his last two contracts - The 2016 TDF was the one that go away - And it wasn't the mechanical in the first week that was the blow but it was the crash on Mount Ventoux when Porte, Froome and Mollema were away - That stage finishes as it should and that's a podium for Porte.
Without the time loss caused by the mechanical in stage 2 he would have finished 2nd.

2014 hardly counts as he picked up a lung infection during the race and dropped down the GC. After the race it was reported he had developed pneumonia..........and this was part of the problem for Porte in grand tours, what he did in one week stage races he couldn't replicate in longer ones. If it wasn't crashes or poor positioning in the peloton it was illness. So far I'd put Pinot in the same category albeit with better results in grand tours but Pinot has only finished 50 % of the 12 GT's he has started. Cadel Evans finished every grand tour he started so along with talent; bike handling, tactics and recovery are just as important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15
Porte has done well from his last two contracts - The 2016 TDF was the one that go away - And it wasn't the mechanical in the first week that was the blow but it was the crash on Mount Ventoux when Porte, Froome and Mollema were away - That stage finishes as it should and that's a podium for Porte.

Agree. That was his chance for the podium right there. The Ventoux stage issues were out of his control and then the badly timed puncture but it sums up his grand tour history unfortunately. The years have simply got away from Porte. Too bad he wasn't a bit younger as this year his race was fairly uneventful although his one fall could have led to concussion and would would have meant he was DNF again ! Shame he missed those races in the spring as his climbing form in the Tour wasn't quite there.

Richie Porte is 53rd in the "all time" CQ Ranking. CQ rankings only go back to 1999, so the list is effectively a good indication of the relative strengths of riders in the last 20 years. Not many riders above him in the list spent as long as he did as a domestique.

He has been paid a lot in the last couple of years, but I really can't understand why he prompts such negativity.

Richie Porte is 53rd in the "all time" CQ Ranking. CQ rankings only go back to 1999, so the list is effectively a good indication of the relative strengths of riders in the last 20 years. Not many riders above him in the list spent as long as he did as a domestique.

He has been paid a lot in the last couple of years, but I really can't understand why he prompts such negativity.

I thought it was obvious. He promised more than he delivered at least in grand tours. No one disputes he was well paid.

He helped Froome trounce Contador thats what got him on the list of forums most hated.

Now confirmed for the Deutschland Tour. Will probably be completely invisible.

Why doesn't he do Tour of Britain ??
One day races are not his forte tbh

I dont know why he didn't go to the Vuelta ...He was training with Nicolas Roche & Steven Kruis___ for the weeks leading up to the Vuelta I thought hed be there ...If they, who both rode the Tour can go then why couldn't Richie ??

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS