• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

blackmamba said:
Ruudz0r said:
I think its way to soon to write him off. We can't see how injured he was or how much pain he had/has in his knee hip. It could be a mental thing especially with what happened with the wheel change and puncture but he could also just be injured. For me he also only had 1 bad day in the GTs (TdF 2013 stage 9), as last year he was sick (proven).
He started cycling late and turned pro late so even though he is already 30 he hadn't had much oppertunities to shine yet in GTs. I think Porte will at least podium a GT in his career, and he has a good chance in winning one.

Way to soon? What exactly has he showed you in GT's ? That he can be strong in 1 week races is not something you should use when the guy has never showned he can sustain his form for 3 weeks theres plenty of strong 1 week racers who is irrelevant in GT's cause its two entire different things and when the guy has never ever in his career showed his capable of doing it (in fact the opposite really) im just curious of what logic sense makes you think he can :rolleyes:

He finished top 10 in his first GT as a Neo that is insane, there are almost no guys who have done that. And yes he was in a break that gained time, but without that time he would still be in top 10. He is climbing much much better now then he was back then. Besides that he showed he can still be good in week 3 as he showed in the 3rd week of the 2013 TdF (Alpe D Huez stage, Le Grand Bornand stage and Le Semnoz (3 days in a row)).
He has started 1 GT as a leader now and he crashed out. As seen in the Grand Tour Game almost everyone put him in the top 3 before the Giro, he was never dropped on not being good enough at the start of this GT only when he was injured he got dropped and had a bad ITT. I dont understand how people turn 180 degrees after a crash...

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
It seems like there are two schools of thought when it comes to assessing a rider's GT potential. You guys focus a lot on results in GTs placing, ignoring how they came about or didn't come about. Others, like myself, look for signs that a rider is capable of time trialling and climbing at a high enough level. Those are the two crucial things you need to be a GC rider. The rest is a question of having a good enough team, luck, fortitude and recovery. Porte may or may not be lacking in fortitude and recovery. The jury is still out on that one. As for his climbing and especially time trialling, he's shown a higher ceiling than Aru has at this point.

If Contador weren't in the Giro and if Porte hadn't punctured and crashed (alternatively, if Sky had handled those situations incorrectly) I believe he would have won the Giro. This also assumes that Landa would have been leashed long enough, of course.

Dude i think like that too but the thing is richie has had the potential and tried for himself several times now and at one point you just gotte accept its not for him he doesnt have it in him the biggest sign of all is there year after year RECOVERY and sustaining his form for 3 weeks its the biggest sign out of everyone and year after year now when he got the chance hes proven its not for him. I was all aboard and curious a few years ago too cause we all saw sign in richie that he could be a GT rider but guess what he didnt and its that simple at this point!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Richie said:
I've won Paris-Nice and Catalunya this year, and had my big opportunity in the Giro, which didn't quite go to plan," he said. "But I'm ready, I'm in the prime of my career now the next few years, so I need to go and lead a team."

Lil Richie confirmed it. He's leaving Sky. He didn't say where he's going. Everyone assumes it's BMC.

But will he actually get to lead the team at the TdF with TJ riding so strongly? Thus far, Richie has shown greater ability as a climber and time triallist than TJ, but he's older and if TJ does the unthinkable and rides with the Big 4 at the Tour...

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Richie said:
I've won Paris-Nice and Catalunya this year, and had my big opportunity in the Giro, which didn't quite go to plan," he said. "But I'm ready, I'm in the prime of my career now the next few years, so I need to go and lead a team."

Lil Richie confirmed it. He's leaving Sky. He didn't say where he's going. Everyone assumes it's BMC.

But will he actually get to lead the team at the TdF with TJ riding so strongly? Thus far, Richie has shown greater ability as a climber and time triallist than TJ, but he's older and if TJ does the unthinkable and rides with the Big 4 at the Tour...

Giro+Vuelta are there for the taking plus a great amount of smaller races.He's still in his prime at 30.Also BMC played the dynamic duo card in Le Tour before.

DBotero said:
SeriousSam said:
Richie said:

Giro+Vuelta are there for the taking plus a great amount of smaller races.He's still in his prime at 30.Also BMC played the dynamic duo card in Le Tour before.
I'd say that that's the case at Sky too. He already led them at the Giro and 'a great amount of smaller races' too.
I'm thinking of Uran right now, who left Sky to lead his own team, particularly at the Tour, and only this year does he actually go there, while still not the outright leader. Well, he's GC leader, but they don't work just for him all day. At Sky, he had to work for Cavendish too at the 2012 Giro. He and Porte may move up in the GC hierarchy, but not really in the hierarchy within their team. Porte has been Sky's leader in every race so far (no not the Tour), so I'm not sure how he'll have so many more opportunities in another team, or BMC specifically, with Tejay aiming at the Tour.

Jancouver said:
[quote="
Porte is neither tall or athletic.

And here is a definition of Athleticism:

Athleticism is the quality of having the kind of strength and energy that makes a great athlete.

See the part the kind of strength?

We all know Porte is missing many of the strengths that make a great athlete.

Compared to other cyclists, Porte is actually athletic in regards to the fact that he can run and swim very well.
Furthermore, he is at least one of the top road 20 riders currently in the sport- out of millions of people in the world that ride their bike. In cycling he is the very definition of athletic.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
So Little Richie is leaving:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-confirms-he-will-leave-team-sky

I think BMC is a good choice,but i'm surprised that Orica didn't try to get him while there were contacts with Etixx.Maybe he was too expensive for the Aussies.

do you think this is just a PR stunt? I was just wondering if that's even possible. Maybe He is just fueling the speculation and the rumors so far? Or maybe it's true if we know what his ambition is. I was just watching his interview after TTT with sbs, "he said: this is his last year on the Tour".. then the commentator cached that and asked him. He replied.. that's the worst secret right now?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Vasilis said:
DBotero said:
SeriousSam said:
Richie said:

I'd say that that's the case at Sky too. He already led them at the Giro and 'a great amount of smaller races' too.
I'm thinking of Uran right now, who left Sky to lead his own team, particularly at the Tour, and only this year does he actually go there, while still not the outright leader. Well, he's GC leader, but they don't work just for him all day. At Sky, he had to work for Cavendish too at the 2012 Giro. He and Porte may move up in the GC hierarchy, but not really in the hierarchy within their team. Porte has been Sky's leader in every race so far (no not the Tour), so I'm not sure how he'll have so many more opportunities in another team, or BMC specifically, with Tejay aiming at the Tour.

I really think that Porte climbs better than TJ. And he is a great ITT. Don't know if TJ ever going to win the tour. But Porte has been up there winning races more than TJ. What's week long races TJ have won? other than TOC in USA where no one significantly goes there? Porte has chances more to win GT than TJ does. IMHO.

Richie Porte moving means either Sky doesn't want to keep Porte, or Porte wants leadership in the Tour de France.

I don't get the move to BMC unless Porte is accepting co-leadership with TJVG or BMC has decided to relegate TJVG.
Maybe more likely it will be another team Porte ends up with.

Re:

wwabbit said:
Richie Porte moving means either Sky doesn't want to keep Porte, or Porte wants leadership in the Tour de France.

I don't get the move to BMC unless Porte is accepting co-leadership with TJVG or BMC has decided to relegate TJVG.
Maybe more likely it will be another team Porte ends up with.

Probably a little of him wanting a Tour shot, which lets face it he won't be getting with Froome in this form. Also Sky having a couple of big signings in the wings for next year.

Vasilis said:
DBotero said:
SeriousSam said:
Richie said:

It was crazy when people as Wiggins, Froome, Urán and Porte were in the same team... as well as people as Rogers, and later Henao, all those 4 had to lead a team, Wiggins didnt want but at least Urán did and Porte now...

SKY has still an impresive team, but it is not real leaders working except Porte now.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Little Smurf to BMC does make a lot of sense as TJ and Rohan need some climbing support and Rohan does not have to waste his time doing the mandatory TDU race.

And if he thinks that he is joining BMC to be a GT leader, he must be delusional ... but again nothing can surprise me with this guy anymore.

Re:

Jancouver said:
Little Smurf to BMC does make a lot of sense as TJ and Rohan need some climbing support and Rohan does not have to waste his time doing the mandatory TDU race.

And if he thinks that he is joining BMC to be a GT leader, he must be delusional ... but again nothing can surprise me with this guy anymore.

Well unless TJVG is going to do a Hansen and ride all three GTs it's obvious Porte would be team leader at one of them. Porte won't be riding for Dennis who is nowhere near Porte's level as a stage race rider. Dennis is like Martin, a really good TT rider that goes okay in the shorter stage races when they are not too hilly. Not to say he can't improve though.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
He has no chance leading at the Tour. The team has invested itself around TJ and he is an overall good 3-week long racer. This year's Tour route is just ill-suited for TJ but he's still way better than Porte ever will be, to whom has peaked. TJ has not.

Probably will be relegated as leader for low-key events such as the TDU and TOC.

Re:

orangerider said:
He has no chance leading at the Tour. The team has invested itself around TJ and he is an overall good 3-week long racer. This year's Tour route is just ill-suited for TJ but he's still way better than Porte ever will be, to whom has peaked. TJ has not.

Probably will be relegated as leader for low-key events such as the TDU and TOC.

You see him as a potential GT winner then? :p

I still hope that Porte goes to Greenedge. And given that team's focus on flat and lumpy stages, I think it would be great if Richie just rode the Giro and Vuelta. Go into the Giro a little more low key. No need to win Paris-Nice this time around, make no grand predictions, and most definitely no motorhome.

In short, become a ninja.