• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
from my perspective richie has all the qualities to win the giro/vuelta but every time he has a go hes been very unlucky over the past few years. richie hasn't demonstrated the ability to get over bad luck in grand tours and that's the basic problem for him. in terms of riding skills, porte is amazingly strong. only an extraordinary rider can deliver such perfomances like ax 3 domain or pierre-saint-martin

Froome praising Richie after today stage:
“Anyone who watched the stage saw the work that Richie did yesterday,” Froome said. “Having Richie riding for me and neutralising attacks by Contador and [Vincenzo] Nibali, that’s massive and a privilege, and not many have that.
“In 2013 Richie played a massive role on a daily basis in my win. He feels he’s getting stronger. He’s played a massive part in setting up my stage win at La Pierre-Saint-Martin and I seem him playing a massive role in the Alps.”

Asked about racing against Porte in 2016:“I’m not really too sure about that,” Froome said. :confused: “I’m not really supposed to comment on transfers until after August so I’m afraid I’m going to have to leave that one.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-froome-expects-attacks-on-the-road-to-mende

"There’s also a powerful, not-to-be-missed interview with Team Sky’s Richie Porte, who was punched by a spectator in the Pyrenees. The Australian talks about the abuse he and his team-mates are having to put up with. “To be quite honest with you it’s getting to the point where some of the journalists who are whipping up the rubbish that they are need to be accountable for our safety a little bit as well,” said Porte. “Do I deserve to be booed? Does Chris Froome deserve all this? I don’t think so. Maybe in ten years’ time they’re going to see that these victories are legitimate. It’s a disgrace how some of these people carry on.”"

https://audioboom.com/boos/3383022-stage-13-van-avermaet-pips-sagan-on-the-line

Re:

TMP402 said:
"There’s also a powerful, not-to-be-missed interview with Team Sky’s Richie Porte, who was punched by a spectator in the Pyrenees. The Australian talks about the abuse he and his team-mates are having to put up with. “To be quite honest with you it’s getting to the point where some of the journalists who are whipping up the rubbish that they are need to be accountable for our safety a little bit as well,” said Porte. “Do I deserve to be booed? Does Chris Froome deserve all this? I don’t think so. Maybe in ten years’ time they’re going to see that these victories are legitimate. It’s a disgrace how some of these people carry on.”"

I remember reading about Merckx being punched in the stomach while competing in the Giro, it actually ruined his race as he was already struggling and to be punched hard when he he was on the limit ! It's a disgrace of course and the police need to start getting involved with such idiots. Lot's of people don't like Sky for various reasons but that sort of behaviour should not be tolerated. I remember Contador lashing out at an idiot on the Alpe a few years ago who was running alongside him. I am constantly surprised that the road runners don't cause more accidents although I saw one go under a motorbike a few years back.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
TMP402 said:

I remember reading about Merckx being punched in the stomach while competing in the Giro, it actually ruined his race as he was already struggling and to be punched hard when he he was on the limit ! It's a disgrace of course and the police need to start getting involved with such idiots. Lot's of people don't like Sky for various reasons but that sort of behaviour should not be tolerated. I remember Contador lashing out at an idiot on the Alpe a few years ago who was running alongside him. I am constantly surprised that the road runners don't cause more accidents although I saw one go under a motorbike a few years back.
Mercks was punched in the Tour when he was in the yellow jersey in 1975; he lost it two days later never to wear it again. Two years before he was directly asked not to participate in the race.

movingtarget said:
TMP402 said:

It was during the '75 TdF. First time that cameras were used on motorcycles. The perpetrator was later arrested. I'm no fan of Sky, but no one should have to endure physical or verbal abuse like that. Cycling is hard enough as it is. Those guys deserve respect. When you see JCP getting back on his bike and finishing the stage yesterday, respect. Some may have suspicions about Froome and Sky, et caetera, but no one should have to put up with that. No one.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree Tonton. Fans need to stay back and let them race without interference. The riders should be able to race without having to worry about what the fans might do.

And is it just me, or have the fans been getting worse the past few years?

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Afrank said:
I completely agree Tonton. Fans need to stay back and let them race without interference. The riders should be able to race without having to worry about what the fans might do.

And is it just me, or have the fans been getting worse the past few years?

Should be yes, however they don't get the protection they deserve.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
The other day Porte was bragging how he confronted a fan who called him a doper and the fan got scared and Porte twitted that he was a coward.
Best not to boast your a tough guy and then complain if you get the beating not that you deserved but that you needed :D

I was wondering why today rohan dennis is the one that got punched by a fan? that drunken fan probably can't see the difference between porte and dennis :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Jelantik said:
ray j willings said:
The other day Porte was bragging how he confronted a fan who called him a doper and the fan got scared and Porte twitted that he was a coward.
Best not to boast your a tough guy and then complain if you get the beating not that you deserved but that you needed :D

I was wondering why today rohan dennis is the one that got punched by a fan? that drunken fan probably can't see the difference between porte and dennis :D

Maybe its best for safety and tedium that Sky withdraw

Re:

ray j willings said:

He stopped and confronted them and he wasn't bragging, he was reporting what happened. I suppose if the rider was not a Sky rider he would be called a hero.

movingtarget said:
ray j willings said:

He stopped and confronted them and he wasn't bragging, he was reporting what happened. I suppose if the rider was not a Sky rider he would be called a hero.

amen brother

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

movingtarget said:
ray j willings said:

He reported it to the twitter police did he :D

ray j willings said:
Jelantik said:
ray j willings said:

Only after they give Froome the yellow, the rest can have a race for 2nd :D

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
ray j willings said:
Jelantik said:
ray j willings said:

Only after they give Froome the yellow, the rest can have a race for 2nd :D

Its in the Bible ,,,quote

" 3 men in Black with blue bits , shall elevate themselves Sky [ how did they know, spooky ] ward towards and up toith and beyond thy majestic mountains of the kingdoms of le france and leave mere mortal men and the one called Quintana crying in the bus of many travels.
Despite the chucking of Urine at the one called "chaos theory limbs" [ that's what it says] and the one called smugface taking a well deserved beating for his smugness Thy men in black with blue bits shall ye not be undone on their mighty quest to rule the kingdom of le france"

No mention of Brailsford :D

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
LRP said:
Obviously, the last three weeks have really taken a toll on him [Chris Froome], and truth be known, I don’t think he’s really been that healthy either. It’s testament to how hard he is mentally, and it’s a little bit worrying knowing that next year I’ll be taking him on.”

So Froome was sick and won anyway, remarkable.

But more importantly, Porte seems to be certain he'll be taking him on next year. that is, Porte think he's gonna leader a team at the Tour de France.

Sickly TJ relegated to domestique duties? Well he served Cadel so well, no reason he cannot also serve LRP.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
LRP said:
Obviously, the last three weeks have really taken a toll on him [Chris Froome], and truth be known, I don’t think he’s really been that healthy either. It’s testament to how hard he is mentally, and it’s a little bit worrying knowing that next year I’ll be taking him on.”

So Froome was sick and won anyway, remarkable.

But more importantly, Porte seems to be certain he'll be taking him on next year. that is, Porte think he's gonna leader a team at the Tour de France.

Sickly TJ relegated to domestique duties? Well he served Cadel so well, no reason he cannot also serve LRP.

Link to interview where he siad this?

Richie is the best,gave his all again today :D I'm really disappointed to see him leave,he was always an integral part of Froome success giving him full support every time,huge respect.Can't wait to see Froome against Richie on the road next TDF.

TRENDING THREADS