• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
SeriousSam said:
Past eras:

1999-2005: Armstrong
2007-2011: Contador
2012-2016: Froome
The froome era started in 2013.
2012 Tour IMO. Froome had shown at the Vuelta that he possibly was Sky's best and definitely confirmed it the following July.
But he lost to contador in 2012 vuelta. So only in 2013, he established himself as the number one gt rider

Tonton said:
portugal11 said:
SeriousSam said:
Past eras:

The froome era started in 2013.
2012 Tour IMO. Froome had shown at the Vuelta that he possibly was Sky's best and definitely confirmed it the following July.
2012. Contador won a GT, Froome didn't. Obviously it was Wiggins' year but if you have to pick between Froome and Conti, the choice should be obvious.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
He demonstrated at the Tour that he was the strongest GT rider in 2012. Whoever is strongest at the Tour is usually a very guide guide as to who the strongest GT rider that year is. The years 2008, 2011 and 2014 are exceptions.

I think after 2013, 2014 and 2015 Porte was lacking confidence in his own ability to last three weeks - I too had given up on him. That easily explains why he was conservative in the 2016 Tour as his first goal was to ride strong for three weeks. Also, unlike 2015 he also didn't crack mentally last year after his unlucky setbacks and continued to ride strong to the end. For me the only doubt Porte didn't put to rest in the 2016 Tour was his underwhelming TT. But he seems to have plugged that hole now after his outstanding TT in this Dauphine. I hope he can deliver at least a podium would be good to see for a guy who has been knocking on the door for a while now.

DFA123 said:
phanatic said:
SeriousSam said:
Past eras:

I feel like 2012-13 were dominated by Team Sky more than Froome (and 2014 wasn't at all). Isn't that why this is in the Porte thread?
Froome would have won the 2013 Tour even if he was riding for Sojasun.
Wel that's a bit of gamble isn't it? His beste domestique drops off and he's left with a 50 man peloton to drop, I question that he puts the same time into his opponents on the mountain stages. Probably would be a bit closer.

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
phanatic said:
SeriousSam said:
Past eras:

I feel like 2012-13 were dominated by Team Sky more than Froome (and 2014 wasn't at all). Isn't that why this is in the Porte thread?
Froome would have won the 2013 Tour even if he was riding for Sojasun.
Wel that's a bit of gamble isn't it? His beste domestique drops off and he's left with a 50 man peloton to drop, I question that he puts the same time into his opponents on the mountain stages. Probably would be a bit closer.
Yeah, perhaps would be a bit closer, but he'd still win comfortably I think. He was easily the best climber in the race, and was also the best TTist of the GC contenders by a huge distance.

Similar thing to with Armstrong really. He had the great team, but was probably the one rider in the race who didn't actually need it to win.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
BMC should seriously think about shifting TJ's program around to put him the TDF. Even if he is unreliable to some extent I think he'll be ok if he doesn't have to ride every day.

TRENDING THREADS