• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Same odds to win the Tour as Froome now. When is the last time Froome wasn't the overwhelming favourite? I think in 2014 Contador was close but had worse odds

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Same odds to win the Tour as Froome now. When is the last time Froome wasn't the overwhelming favourite? I think in 2014 Contador was close but had worse odds

For the first time I'm actually not going to be annoyed that you mentioned the betting odds. :p
Kinda interesting....I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's interesting to see what people's faith is in.

How long can Porte hold this form ? He went deep today but with three weeks to the Tour it will be interesting. What is apparent is that he climbing better than anyone and his TT was his best for a while. Close loss today but I think he will still be confident of doing well in the Tour. Who would have thought Fuglsang would be the one to beat him ? What is apparent is that BMC have to do better in the Tour.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Froome and Wiggins in their best years, held peak from first race till the Tour. So no doubt Porte can do the same.

But still, he seems to suffer lapses that make me think he could well be the strongest but will not win.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:
Froome and Wiggins in their best years, held peak from first race till the Tour. So no doubt Porte can do the same.

But still, he seems to suffer lapses that make me think he could well be the strongest but will not win.

"Peak form" from first race till the Tour is an oxymoron. The peak is naturally from putting your body in a state one can not sustain for longer periods of time.

Re:

lenric said:
Even if Porte won today, I believe his biggest victory was when he caught and overtook Froome on the last climb.

I actually think Porte will be quite happy to have beaten Froome, Contador and Valverde. There will be some disappointment of course but the Tour is his main goal and after missing the podium last year he won't be lacking any motivation.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
lenric said:
Even if Porte won today, I believe his biggest victory was when he caught and overtook Froome on the last climb.

I actually think Porte will be quite happy to have beaten Froome, Contador and Valverde. There will be some disappointment of course but the Tour is his main goal and after missing the podium last year he won't be lacking any motivation.

I'm just glad that Porte is a great example of "there's life outside Sky". (hint: Landa). Porte today proofs that he can take matters on his own hand w/o his teammate. Sure he lost the race, but he was climbing strong and I hope he can stay away from bad luck. For once, I'd like to see what happen today @TDF, no more sky train sucks out the life of the race.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

Jelantik said:
movingtarget said:
lenric said:

I'm just glad that Porte is a great example of "there's life outside Sky". (hint: Landa). Porte today proofs that he can take matters on his own hand w/o his teammate. Sure he lost the race, but he was climbing strong and I hope he can stay away from bad luck. For once, I'd like to see what happen today @TDF, no more sky train sucks out the life of the race.

That would be great too see but it won't happen unless Froome drops out of contention (unlikely) . Also even without the Sky train there'd still probably be to many contenders playing it safe just to protect their podium or top 5/10 placement .

Richie Porte:

“I think I showed in the end that I’m going well and I’m on track for July. It’s bitterly disappointing to lose it by such a small margin but credit to Jakob Fulgsang. I think I was up against it from KM0 as it seems there were a few guys who preferred to see me lose the race and they lose their podium as well. I don’t know what you can really learn from a stage like that. I guess that’s racing but bring on July.”

Aimed at Froome?

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

“I think I showed in the end that I’m going well and I’m on track for July. It’s bitterly disappointing to lose it by such a small margin but credit to Jakob Fulgsang. I think I was up against it from KM0 as it seems there were a few guys who preferred to see me lose the race and they lose their podium as well. I don’t know what you can really learn from a stage like that. I guess that’s racing but bring on July.”

Aimed at Froome?

Well it turned out better for Porte than it did for Froome but I think Froome only cares about first place usually especially outside the grand tours.

Eventhough he didn't win the GC, I liked how he managed his efforts today. Very impressive climb considering that he had been isolated for quite some time before arriving on the last climb.
The only thing that worries me is that he seems seriously slow on the descents which makes him very vulnerable.

Re:

RattaKuningas said:
Eventhough he didn't win the GC, I liked how he managed his efforts today. Very impressive climb considering that he had been isolated for quite some time before arriving on the last climb.
The only thing that worries me is that he seems seriously slow on the descents which makes him very vulnerable.

Froome has descended like a madman the past two stages, the trouble was Froome made it across the gap but Richie didn't. Maybe Porte was catching his breath and actually was in a bit of trouble after that climb but he recovered well.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

Not sure how it can be aimed at Froome, Froome tried to win the race today rather than protect 2nd place, no doubt about that.

movingtarget said:
RattaKuningas said:

Froome has descended like a madman the past two stages, the trouble was Froome made it across the gap but Richie didn't. Maybe Porte was catching his breath and actually was in a bit of trouble after that climb but he recovered well.

Froome has been incredebly quick on the decents but Kwiatkowksi who started the descent behind Porte, having been dropped earlier, managed to bridge to Froome/Contador group while Porte lost time on the descent.

Inquitus said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

Not sure how it can be aimed at Froome, Froome tried to win the race today rather than protect 2nd place, no doubt about that.

I agree with you, but who else will he mean?

Poursuivant said:
Inquitus said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

I agree with you, but who else will he mean?

I don't know tbh.

I just watched the stage - The only reason Porte lost the race was misjudgment & tactical approach, since He was clearly the strongest-the way he climbed solo that last climb was outstanding - almost the whole length out of the saddle :surprised:

I hope Richie gets his best game in July to make an entertaining Tour. :)

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

Yes. But for no reason. Froome didn't do anything wrong today.
However, 2 days ago he did when he pushed Porte into the barriers.

hfer07 said:
I just watched the stage - The only reason Porte lost the race was misjudgment & tactical approach, since He was clearly the strongest-the way he climbed solo that last climb was outstanding - almost the whole length out of the saddle :surprised:

I hope Richie gets his best game in July to make an entertaining Tour. :)

This. As a Cadel fan I must say its good to have another Aussie being talked up.

Porte did similar at Romandie (rode last climb out of the saddle). Suggests he has very good legs right now. But I also hope he can hold this form. I am thinking other than Froome of course that Aru is a dark horse.

Also, maybe Porte learned some valuable tactical lessons today that will come in handy next month. Better June than July.

TRENDING THREADS