• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Great ride by Porte, he looks too strong, but i don´t know if he dind´t peak too soon, or if he´s able to be consistent in the all 3 weeks.

This time he lost because he dind´t have a team, and even in the tour i doubt he will have one strong enough.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
Inquitus said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

“I think I showed in the end that I’m going well and I’m on track for July. It’s bitterly disappointing to lose it by such a small margin but credit to Jakob Fulgsang. I think I was up against it from KM0 as it seems there were a few guys who preferred to see me lose the race and they lose their podium as well. I don’t know what you can really learn from a stage like that. I guess that’s racing but bring on July.”

Aimed at Froome?

Not sure how it can be aimed at Froome, Froome tried to win the race today rather than protect 2nd place, no doubt about that.

I agree with you, but who else will he mean?

I was thinking the same. The podium position before the start of the day was Froome, Porte and Fulgsang.

Jelantik said:
Poursuivant said:
Inquitus said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

“I think I showed in the end that I’m going well and I’m on track for July. It’s bitterly disappointing to lose it by such a small margin but credit to Jakob Fulgsang. I think I was up against it from KM0 as it seems there were a few guys who preferred to see me lose the race and they lose their podium as well. I don’t know what you can really learn from a stage like that. I guess that’s racing but bring on July.”

Aimed at Froome?

Not sure how it can be aimed at Froome, Froome tried to win the race today rather than protect 2nd place, no doubt about that.

I was thinking the same. The podium position before the start of the day was Froome, Porte and Fulgsang.
Strange thing to say.

But if he was not aiming at Froome then who else?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Escarabajo said:
Jelantik said:
Poursuivant said:
Inquitus said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

Strange thing to say.

But if he was not aiming at Froome then who else?

Probably this one explanation clear it up. Looks like it aims to everyone.

Here's comment from Dan Martin:
"Richie did one hell of a ride with everyone ganging up on him," said Martin in his ITV interview. "I wasn't attacking but everyone else seemed to be taking it in turns to attack him and then make him him work.

"It seemed people were willing to lose the Dauphiné to make Richie lose it. So it was a strange race. I just wish everyone would race so aggressively at the Tour, because nobody attacks like that at the Tour."

I wish they do this on the Tour to Froome... (ow.. wishful thinking)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Wow, honestly, I didn't expect TLMRP to crack and lose this one. We all know he can't keep it together over three weeks but to lose Dauphine with a minute to spare is just pathetic.

Nice rides by birdsong and dannyboy.

Re:

Jancouver said:
Wow, honestly, I didn't expect TLMRP to crack and lose this one. We all know he can't keep it together over three weeks but to lose Dauphine with a minute to spare is just pathetic.

Nice rides by birdsong and dannyboy.

The people who botched this were LRP's domestiques. If either of his two main support riders stick around until they are in theory capable of, Porte wins. Porte didn't handle being isolated very cleverly - and it could be a real problem that he doesn't have the tactical smarts of a Dumoulin in that situation - but he was super strong.

lenric said:
Poursuivant said:
Richie Porte:

Aimed at Froome?

Yes. But for no reason. Froome didn't do anything wrong today.
However, 2 days ago he did when he pushed Porte into the barriers.

Well for all the talk about Porte's tactics it was Froome that missed the podium not that he probably cares too much. Thing that Porte and Dumoulin have in common is a weak team in the mountains and it was good to see that Porte didn't panic and rode smart when he got isolated.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Disappointing performance yesterday. How will he ever hope to win the Tour like this?
Um, he was far and away the strongest rider, even if tactically inept and without support. He could win the Tour with a far stronger team - and with everyone else but Froome riding for their top-10, but it does indeed seem unlikely that Porte and BMC will hold it together for three weeks, especially if he grabs yellow early.

But I think Froome will be the first and only GC contender in yellow (after stage 5), so it's probably a moot point.

Well I guess BMC simply wasn't strong enough. Porte tactically inept? Hard to see what Porte on his own could have done differently.....wait for a teammate? With 6 rivals within 2min 15 seconds he had to mark all 6 wheels....and their teams. With a stronger team attacks would be nullified. Perhaps late in a three week Grand Tour gaps are unlikely to be so narrow spread across that many rivals. A stronger BMC at the Tour might help minimize the risks of another multi team ambush. There is also the stage 20 TT which would disadvantage most except Froome depending how Porte os recovering in the 3rd week. Definitely a big setback yesterday but there is still hope and better now than July especially of he can be even stronger.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Disappointing performance yesterday. How will he ever hope to win the Tour like this?
Um, he was far and away the strongest rider, even if tactically inept and without support. He could win the Tour with a far stronger team - and with everyone else but Froome riding for their top-10, but it does indeed seem unlikely that Porte and BMC will hold it together for three weeks, especially if he grabs yellow early.

But I think Froome will be the first and only GC contender in yellow (after stage 5), so it's probably a moot point.
Well, that's kinda the point. Even super peaking and being the far and away strongest rider, he still manages to lose a 1.15 minute lead to Jakob Fuglsang.

Hugo Koblet said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Well, that's kinda the point. Even super peaking and being the far and away strongest rider, he still manages to lose a 1.15 minute lead to Jakob Fuglsang.
Yeah, but as I implied, this was a prep race, not the Tour, where risk taking isn't exactly the in thing to do when you have a (minor) GC placing to protect.

If Porte somehow delivers and finishes 2nd after Froome maybe it's time for BMC to invest in some solid mountain support, as well. The team leader's tactical inaptness doesn't matter as much if he has support riders to fall back on..

And thirdly, Astana did clearly prep their two GC riders extremely well. I don't see the point in disparaging Fuglsang's victory, as if he was somehow not insanely strong. I even wonder if Mont du Chat and Plateau de Solaison suited him that much.

Quote from Porte from previous day
"There are guys who are around a minute off GC, and you just don’t know who is going to try and jump in the breakaway or attack. Tactically for us we’ve got a really good team, and I’m going to rely on them tomorrow. We’ll see who wants to gamble their GC because Jakob Fulgsang showed that he’s in super form, too, and I’m not sure he would rather podium.”
“Guys like Valverde and Froome are probably going to attack, but with the team I have here maybe I can take a bit of a back seat and let them do the groundwork like they did today and then I can try and finish it off.
All was predicted and known and the team was totally overestimated. The comment after the race sounds like sour grapes. Besides when he dropped Froome on the penultimate stage, he literally rubbed his nose in the dirt.
One Rule from Cadel's book of winning is if you have a weak team but a strong leader try to take the yellow on the last day.

gunara said:
SafeBet said:
Alexandre B. said:
Porte needed a Mollema yesterday. Someone content with a seventh place overall.
I think he will find plenty during the TdF.

So true, both of you.

Anyway, how would anyone compare Porte's Tour team with 2011 Evans' BMC? Different opponents, I know, no monster team back then, but some brave rides to contain

The difference is that Evans had multiple podiums before he eventually won and was much smarter tactically than Porte, and a much better bike handler and descender but the thing they do have in common is that they feel the stress. But I think Porte has improved in that area in the past 12 months. His frustration after the Dauphine was understandable as it looked like he had it wrapped up the day before. I think the teams are similar in that they were not strong in the mountains but good for the intermediate and flat stages. Hincapie was also a very good road captain for Evans. BMC were very well organized in that Tour.

TRENDING THREADS