• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Re:

Jancouver said:
Wow, honestly, I didn't expect TLMRP to crack and lose this one. We all know he can't keep it together over three weeks but to lose Dauphine with a minute to spare is just pathetic.

Nice rides by birdsong and dannyboy.

I wouldn't say that Porte cracked but more so his team did. He never blew up, he just had to manage his effort with all the attacks so that he didn't crack. His complaints seemed more out of frustration than being upset with his rivals riding their own race. He can't really expect to anticipate having the assistance of his opponents.

I thought he had a cracking race yesterday. His team was nowhere to be seen and I wonder if Froome and his Tour team would have been able to handle yesterdays stage! Sour grapes with what he came out with, but it is a race and he should have expected attacks to come like they did. Life in a yellow jersey eh?

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't blame Porte for being upset with his good buddy and i'm surprised Froome went out of his way to screw his buddy to add a stage race which will do little for his resume .

Re:

red zone said:
I don't blame Porte for being upset with his good buddy and i'm surprised Froome went out of his way to screw his buddy to add a stage race which will do little for his resume .

Froome is racing for the win, there shouldn't be hard feelings about that. He's a racer and he wants to win, plus he's here to train full gas for the Tour, so this was a perfect opportunity. Porte took it personally, which he shouldn't do.

Re:

red zone said:
It didn't work anyway, not only did he (Froome) lose a race but he possibly lost a buddy. It just goes to show that he doesn't respect LRP as a rider and all that talk about Richie riding for Froome at last years Tour that LRP denied is absolutely true. Froome is the boss in their relationship, not a friend. There's a big difference that LRP finally is realizing. This should make the Tour much more exciting this year!

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
red zone said:

Froome is racing for the win, there shouldn't be hard feelings about that. He's a racer and he wants to win, plus he's here to train full gas for the Tour, so this was a perfect opportunity. Porte took it personally, which he shouldn't do.
I agree he came to win but he has bigger goals than to just a stage/gc win at a one week race . Sometimes it's beneficial to add some good will in the peloton and what this week showed the rest of the riders is if he doesn't give a damn about someone he considers a good buddy then their's no way he'd give a damn about them . Gifting a stage or helping another rider sometimes gets repaid down the road when Froome might find himself needing some assistance .

Irondan said:
red zone said:
It didn't work anyway, not only did he (Froome) lose a race but he possibly lost a buddy. It just goes to show that he doesn't respect LRP as a rider and all that talk about Richie riding for Froome at last years Tour that LRP denied is absolutely true. Froome is the boss in their relationship, not a friend. There's a big difference that LRP finally is realizing. This should make the Tour much more exciting this year!

As much as I dislike Froome, I think this is just bollocks. They are earning loads of money to WIN races, not to gift races to buddies. Froome did try to win the race which he is obliged to try, but wasn't strong enough to finnish it. Whether in the mix someone else lost his changes HAS to be meaningless for him unless riding in same team.

When the riders stop caring for their own success and gift wins to whoever they like most, I'll stop watching the sport as that is not competition anymore.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

Irondan said:
red zone said:

Porte should have realized this long ago , hopefully he does now .

bambino said:
Irondan said:
red zone said:

As much as I dislike Froome, I think this is just bollocks. They are earning loads of money to WIN races, not to gift races to buddies. Froome did try to win the race which he is obliged to try, but wasn't strong enough to finnish it. Whether in the mix someone else lost his changes HAS to be meaningless for him unless riding in same team.

When the riders stop caring for their own success and gift wins to whoever they like most, I'll stop watching the sport as that is not competition anymore.
You missed my point, completely. I'm certain that I don't need to be lectured on why riders show up to races. Try reading it again before you call bollocks on something that I didn't say anyway.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

bambino said:
Irondan said:
red zone said:

You act like gifting meaningless stage wins from elite riders is something new and there's many different levels to gauge success . There's also a difference between attacking Porte early and often yesterday to win the gc and trying to put him into the barriers to win a sprint which imo showed a lot of disrespect to someone you consider a good friend .

Irondan said:
red zone said:
Good point. Froome could fairly comfortably ride the stage conservatively and maintain second or at the very least third place, but he prefered blowing the race apart which ultimately didn't allow porte to take this. either way, it's almost always war on the road and froome was fully entitled to do what he wanted. BUT after yesterday's stage his alliance with richie is getting less likely. in all fairness, they anyway wouldn't be such big allies as before in the upcoming tour since porte is regarded such as an outstanding favourite ftw as froome himself.

Irondan said:
bambino said:
Irondan said:
red zone said:

You missed my point, completely. I'm certain that I don't need to be lectured on why riders show up to races. Try reading it again before you call bollocks on something that I didn't say anyway.

Sorry, error on quoting wrong message, was supposed to reply to red_zone message of Froome screwing Richie's win.

As for your comment, I don't think Froome really indeed cares a minute what Richie (or anyone else in that matter) thinks about him, nor I'm not sure he should either. And to be fair, he has got more than loads of *** about his riding style, sky train, marginal gains etc. to believe there are no real friends in the peloton for the no. 1 guy. That is the attitude Richie should adobt as well.

At some point cooler heads will prevail and Porte will realize that Fuglslang snatched the Dauphine with a thermonuclear performance up the final climb.

Porte managed his efforts over the course of the penultimate and final climbs and got himself back into the virtual yellow but lost time in the last few km.

I still think Porte was upset at Froome.

Reminds me a little bit of Dumoulin at the Giro when he was pissed at Nibali and Quintana for not helping him chase other riders. LOL. Dumoulin was more direct in expressing himself. With Porte is worse because they were bodies. Big mistake. Froome is racing to win and was waiting for another attack. Even as professionals that are paid to win, these riders sometimes fuel their performances based on emotions. Weird but it works for a lot of them.

red zone said:
bambino said:
Irondan said:
red zone said:

You act like gifting meaningless stage wins from elite riders is something new and there's many different levels to gauge success . There's also a difference between attacking Porte early and often yesterday to win the gc and trying to put him into the barriers to win a sprint which imo showed a lot of disrespect to someone you consider a good friend .

And you act like knowing Dauphine was meaningless for Froome and Sky although quite a few others has already pointed out Froome had a chance to make Dauphine history and I'm sure the team want's to win as many races as there are available realistically to win.

The sprint was dirty and I saw (+commented) that as well. I just can't really judge a guy who wants to win with all possible means without braking rules.

Read Froome's comments after the race where he said:

“I’ve been in that situation myself a lot of times,” Froome said. “That’s when the weight of having the yellow jersey really falls on your shoulders. It feels as though the whole world is out to get you. That’s bike racing.

That's a stinging rebuttal of Portes ability to handle the pressure, he is basically saying that he bottled it. I think Froome is the boss in this relationship and yesterday was Froome putting Porte back in his place. Porte has to learn to expect this as he should not be expecting any favours from Froome when they are riding for different teams. I think Ports has genuflected to Froome on several occasions since he left Sky but and probably thought Froome betrayed him yesterday. Porte needs to develop a more ruthless streak though if he is to stand a chance of winning the tour in July. Physically he is the best rider but there are doubts about his temperament and the strength of his team

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
At some point cooler heads will prevail and Porte will realize that Fuglslang snatched the Dauphine with a thermonuclear performance up the final climb.

Porte managed his efforts over the course of the penultimate and final climbs and got himself back into the virtual yellow but lost time in the last few km.

or maybe Porte will still feel betrayed by a buddy he turned himself inside out for to win and feels his effort/loyalty wasn't repaid

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Porte lost the Dauphine when Kwiatkowski sailed by him on the descent, no other way to put it. He follows his lines and links up with that group, there is no problem. He arrives with Fuglsang at the foot of the climb and probably beats him and the rest to take his 2nd stage and a dominating win in the CDD.

Froome had nothing to do with that, it was his *** descending that cost him. And it's going to cost him massively now that he has essentially announced weeks before the Tour "I'm a *** descender, attack me and get a minute".

red zone said:
DanielSong39 said:

or maybe Porte will still feel betrayed by a buddy he turned himself inside out for to win and feels his effort/loyalty wasn't repaid

Well maybe Richie should then sit down and think for a while whether there was any differences with these occasions, i.e they both had chances to win the whole thing or not.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site

bambino said:
red zone said:
DanielSong39 said:

Well maybe Richie should then sit down and think for a while whether there was any differences with these occasions, i.e they both had chances to win the whole thing or not.

I think Porte has finally realized his buddy dosen't give a damn about him and will offer him no more assistance regardless of whether he's also in a position to win the GC . Froome may be able to justify yesterdays stage tactics but there's no excuse for how he rode the sprint other than showing he has a total lack of respect for a friend .

also i'm not trying to say Froome was wrong in trying to win , i'm just pointing out that i can understand why Porte is upset

Re:

ontheroad said:
Read Froome's comments after the race where he said:

“I’ve been in that situation myself a lot of times,” Froome said. “That’s when the weight of having the yellow jersey really falls on your shoulders. It feels as though the whole world is out to get you. That’s bike racing.

That's a stinging rebuttal of Portes ability to handle the pressure, he is basically saying that he bottled it. I think Froome is the boss in this relationship and yesterday was Froome putting Porte back in his place. Porte has to learn to expect this as he should not be expecting any favours from Froome when they are riding for different teams. I think Ports has genuflected to Froome on several occasions since he left Sky but and probably thought Froome betrayed him yesterday. Porte needs to develop a more ruthless streak though if he is to stand a chance of winning the tour in July. Physically he is the best rider but there are doubts about his temperament and the strength of his team

Most of the time having the strongest team around him, other time's he's just completely failed when on his own- Formigal and Catalunya this year being the two prime examples.

The old Aussie mateship / loyalty thing... perhaps runs deep with a person like Porte. But in the steephill interview he also said (after saying some teams wanted him to lose etc) - that he'd remember that in July - (or something similar, forget the actual words). Lesson learned, hopefully - for his AND the race's sake! Fingers crossed! Apart from him personally, the race will only benefit if he doesn't ally with Froome anymore. And neither should he.

TRENDING THREADS