• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 111 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Porte did not lead out GVA ....he found himself at the front and he went for it...it ddin't work out but who knows he could have got a few seconds. This is how BMC (and others ) need to ride as there are few opportunities on the mountains or elsewhere to take time back on SKY...If this was the 3rd last stage of the Tour we'd expect Porte to go for it...why not now ...I think it was a good showing.. naysayers be damned

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Publicus said:
Galic Ho said:
movingtarget said:
To keep it simple Richie banged his knee and Froome took some skin off his butt. McEwen said in the Australian commentary that Porte didn't go down at all but Richie says otherwise ! Bardet also banged his knee. A typical week one crash in the Tour except that Contador avoided it !

A link to a race report, social media account or something that confirms this would help.

We'll hear about it tonight from the SBS crew if it's true.

Check BMC's website. There's a quote from LRP about his knee.

Yeah SBS did a piece on their website in the early hours of the morning.

BMC, have actually matured immensely over 2016.

Last year on stage 2, a similar stage to stage 3 this year, they...well it didn't go well at all.

Porte did really well. Doesn't appear to have lost any of his climbing power from Romandie and the Dauphine based on the sharp incline.

They rode well for Greg as well. He has a nice kick...and a 4th is exactly what I thought the team needed to do.

Give Greg his chances when they can really count and seeing Richie support him (I can call it that...he was in front setting pace) should help the team later on when Porte needs Greg's help.

BMC rode really well.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site

dirkprovin said:
HelloDolly said:
Good showing today by Porte and BMC ....they mean business

Somewhat of an overstatement. Porte had a dig and created a bit of a gap but was unable to make the move "stick". He didn't hurt himself to the extent that he lost any time to the bulk of his rivals. Essentially situation unchanged.

BMC prob slightly disappointed that GVA couldn't make anything of the finish.

Contrast with last year.

That's a 180 degree turn around from the horrible situation they were in on the similar stage last year.

No time lost. Porte actually got to take a dig and test his legs...they seem okay.

Plus Greg got a position. Sure, he finished 4th, but beating Sagan and Matthews today was a big ask.

When Dan Martin is there, that's not an easy stage to win. Had Valverde have not crashed, it's speculation, but based on his superior capacity at form relative to Dan Martin, would he not have beaten Sagan or pushed him?

Good result for BMC. Good result for Sunweb and Bora to.

Check 2015 and Sagan...finishing second through to 4th/5th consistently, means you're up there and trying. That's where form is shown. Consistency. Plus it makes racing interesting rather than a procession to Paris.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Froome was then asked if Porte was the favourite to take yellow on stage 5. The BMC Racing rider is over 30 seconds off Froome and 47 down on Thomas.

"He'd have to make up 35 seconds on me, and over 45 seconds on Geraint. That's going to take some doing on a 6km climb."

Show them, Richard

According to Contador there was a pretty strong headwind and when he saw the gap closing behind Porte he decided to hold back. BMC did a very good job positioning GVA and Porte. But the stage was never going to be won by the GC men. Martin of course was up there because he has the punch like Valverde. Obviously nothing wrong with Porte's knee.

HelloDolly said:
LaFlorecita said:
I for one want to see Richie stick it to Big Mouth Froome and Sky tomorrow, of course with Alberto just behind.

I think with both Froome & Thomas up there and both able to hang on to yellow Porte, Contador & Quintana need to work together to get time back on SKY
I agree but tomorrow isn't the right stage to work together
Just a drag race to the finish

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I for one want to see Richie stick it to Big Mouth Froome and Sky tomorrow, of course with Alberto just behind.

Yeah, but if that happens atleast Froome will have the balls to say that he didnt have the legs to stay with Porte.
If Bertie loses time, well, Big Excuses Bertie will start crying saying he wants to reach the 3rd week fresher and claw back 10 mins to Froome then. :lol: :lol:

Tomorrow could produce small gaps. If it's to Froome's advantage, I can imagine many "The TdF is Over" posts, which will not be true. On the other hand, it will be the opportunity for Ritchie, or Bertie to even take back the loss time and build up the suspense. Porte can win la PDBF,or be the best GC guy if the BOD sticks.

Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
To me, it's clear that Richie thought the stage was too easy and he feared Froomes monster kick with 2kms to go. So not losing any serious time to Froome is probably a win for BMC today. There will be harder stages to come and Richie can TT. It's still game on.

Porte thought he could win today, thats why his team chased the brake