• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 115 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

I said before the race, Porte will find some way to get sick, crash, get ill, get a bad day, anything. It's a crash this time. I hope he's ok but he's no GT material. It's just like Gesink, but on a better level, if you always run into something, you'll never win
I'm afraid he lacks something else: the will.

if one thing for sure, Porte always comes back strong after set back. He got so many bad luck in his GT career, but he always come back. And come back strong. In my book that's "a will"

Alexandre B. said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

I said before the race, Porte will find some way to get sick, crash, get ill, get a bad day, anything. It's a crash this time. I hope he's ok but he's no GT material. It's just like Gesink, but on a better level, if you always run into something, you'll never win

So a lack of will caused his crash ?

movingtarget said:
Alexandre B. said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

The will to win is unrelated with average technique.

Re:

Jelantik said:
I can't believe the luck of this guy. Man, I don't know how you can live with it. He suffered almost everything. It's too bad, really too bad. Now we can't see whether he can challenge Froome. Do you guys think he'll be back for Vuelta?

I think if the injuries are not too bad he will do the Vuelta. He hasn't even completed half the Tour so fatigue shouldn't be a factor and he looked good on the climb today as good as Froome and Aru.

Alexandre B. said:
movingtarget said:
Alexandre B. said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not surprised.

The will to win is unrelated with average technique.

Well why not say average technique then which has got nothing to do with will. Or why say anything at all when it was obviously an accident. The best bike handlers sometimes have accidents.

If he is healthy to contest the Vuelta then great, cos it did look likely to be a lot worse than that. Not sure the Vuelta is really ideally suited to his characteristics, but he's been good on the right kind of climb before - I always had him pegged as somebody best suited to the Tour though, although his mindset has seemed to become a lot more attacking in the last year or so than the many years when I thought nothing could be less inspiring than a race won by Richie. That said, we can expect no Nairo, no Valverde and only versions of Froome, Contador and co. that have the Tour in their legs, so maybe he will be buoyed by that if he is able to make it to the start line in Nîmes. He does have a tendency for something to go wrong over 3 weeks, otherwise let's face it he'd have a much better GT palmarès than he has by his age even excusing the late start as a pro, but nobody likes to see riders taken away in an ambulance.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
His crash looked nasty and that wasn't a technical corner, maybe it was lack of focus, maybe he got blocked, I don't know, but it looked like a rookie mistake.
That said, I hope that the injury isn't too bad and having him back to ride the Vuelta would be pretty good, get well soon Richie!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I hope he is ok. Yesterday, I predicted today today will be one of his misfortune days and he will lose the race... sorry guys but this is not just a bad luck. There is a pattern in his gt results.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
His crash looked nasty and that wasn't a technical corner, maybe it was lack of focus, maybe he got blocked, I don't know, but it looked like a rookie mistake.
That said, I hope that the injury isn't too bad and having him back to ride the Vuelta would be pretty good, get well soon Richie!

Martin said Porte locked up his back wheel and he also said the descent was slippery.

He wasn't gonna win it anyway, too busy doing dom duties for pal Froome. Also somebody should of told him to be more careful because he is not good at descending, it cost Martin time, wounds and a potential stage win. Hope he'll be OK and stick with one week races, there he is a factor.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
So..the doctors report is out..
Fractured collarbone and hip.
4-6 weeks off.
His season is over.
Chapeau to a great season!
I'd call that good news, all things considered. At first I thought he was unconscious then I thought he might end up paralyzed. Best wishes to him, and I hope to see him at his best level again next year.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

kingjr said:
silvergrenade said:
4-6 weeks off.
His season is over.
I'd call that good news, all things considered. At first I thought he was unconscious then I thought he might end up paralyzed. Best wishes to him, and I hope to see him at his best level again next year.
Indeed, when they showed him getting the neck brace on TV it looked terrible.

wouterkaas said:
kingjr said:
silvergrenade said:
4-6 weeks off.
His season is over.
Indeed, when they showed him getting the neck brace on TV it looked terrible.

No its not good news, its just not the worse new

del1962 said:

I don't want to be too emotional about this, but the way the crash happened is almost exactly like Wouter Weylandt died, he hit a barrier on the left during a fast descent and was hurdled to the right side of the road where he hit something head-first.

Weylandt's crash wasn't captured on camera in live tv, but for a short moment his dead body was, until the camera guy understood what we were seeing there (it was very obvious). This was immediately what I was thinking of when I saw that Porte crash, so I think it is good news that he got away with just a couple fractures.

Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
I feel bad for him.

He has the engine to win a GT. I wonder if he can seek out some kind of coaching or extra training for descents? It's clearly an issue for him. In the interview before the race started, he brought it up as a worry. So you know it was on his mind.

No, he hasn't got the engine.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
He wasn't gonna win it anyway, too busy doing dom duties for pal Froome. Also somebody should of told him to be more careful because he is not good at descending, it cost Martin time, wounds and a potential stage win. Hope he'll be OK and stick with one week races, there he is a factor.

It must be nerves, because you can't reel off the curve e like that unless you are already ***-ting. And that's what he misses to win the Tour.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

spalco said:
del1962 said:

I don't want to be too emotional about this, but the way the crash happened is almost exactly like Wouter Weylandt died, he hit a barrier on the left during a fast descent and was hurdled to the right side of the road where he hit something head-first.

Weylandt's crash wasn't captured on camera in live tv, but for a short moment his dead body was, until the camera guy understood what we were seeing there (it was very obvious). This was immediately what I was thinking of when I saw that Porte crash, so I think it is good news that he got away with just a couple fractures.
No... WW died because when he fell he hit directly with his head in the rocks.

TRENDING THREADS