• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Jancouver said:
sienna said:
It seems Aru had a role in the crash - Richie didn't screw up by himself.

Yes he did. He picked that wheel and he should be able to react to whatever obstacle is in front of him. This "blame others" game is pathetic.

Porte isn't blaming anyone. He confirms what Dan Martin said, he locked up his back wheel, end of story. Not sure where the blaming others story is coming from.

Porte's problem is more mental. We saw that in the Dauphine and then again in the TT in Dusseldorf and now in stage 9 descent. He has a few years left and time is running out which makes him desperate and therefore prone to errors. He has proven climbing and TT skills but Froome knows his every weakness and exploits that at every opportunity. Tactically he is not great. on top of which his team is also not good for mountains. Also training for the TDU is probably not the best for winning the TDF

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I am gutted for Richei Porte...a really descent chap. one of the good guys
I really feared for him on the descent of the Mont Du Chat ...he was very nervous about it all and so it came to pass that our worse fears become self fulling prophecies

What is more the Tour will suffer from the lack of Porte...I truly believe he was the best climber. in the race ..better than Froome ...and I think Froome knows this...(though Froome is the better all rounder) ..He was the most comfortable going up the Chat yesterday

All those month of prep and training camps....alll gone
Will be hard to get back to this phenomenal level that Porte had this year....you don't get many chance to win the Tour

I think maybe next year he picks the GT based on the course that suits him best ...MTFs and TT ...rather than downhills..and have at least one GT to his palmares...Without team sky his chances are multiplied

Not sure how he can avoid downhills but I agree about the form. He climbed as well as anyone yesterday, I agree that he looked better than Froome. He should have backed off on the descent like he did in the Dauphine but he reckons the pace wasn't too fast, go figure. I also feel sorry for Martin who is riding well. The Tour will probably continue to have such finishes as Prudhomme is looking for attacking riding and exciting racing. Dumoulin and Quintana will probably do the Tour next year as well as Nibali, not sure about Aru. It's worth thinking about the Giro but BMC will probably expect their number one GC rider to do the Tour. But like Stephen K in the Giro, the opportunities to podium don't come around often and Porte is already 32 and at his peak.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Porte's problem is more mental. We saw that in the Dauphine and then again in the TT in Dusseldorf and now in stage 9 descent. He has a few years left and time is running out which makes him desperate and therefore prone to errors. He has proven climbing and TT skills but Froome knows his every weakness and exploits that at every opportunity. Tactically he is not great. on top of which his team is also not good for mountains. Also training for the TDU is probably not the best for winning the TDF

Not sure how any of those things lock up his back wheel. He was actually looking forward to getting into the climbs he said. If anything it's Froome looking for more time like he did last year attacking in crosswinds and on a descent. Bike handling is probably his major weakness and his team have made some curious tactical choices in this race. No doubt he doesn't have the confidence of someone like Froome and I guess you build that by winning grand tours. You have to be a bit desperate to win a GT, Bardet was taking plenty of risks. Evans was great on descents maybe he could help Porte out. Froome has definitely improved his bike handling in the past few years. Tactically Porte was fine yesterday, he tried a few attacks on the final climb and was well positioned on the descent. Valverde crashed on the same descent in the Dauphine and then crashed in the TT in the Tour and he's usually a very good bike handler. Split second misjudgement is all it takes.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:

Not sure how any of those things lock up his back wheel. He was actually looking forward to getting into the climbs he said. If anything it's Froome looking for more time like he did last year attacking in crosswinds and on a descent. Bike handling is probably his major weakness and his team have made some curious tactical choices in this race. No doubt he doesn't have the confidence of someone like Froome and I guess you build that by winning grand tours. You have to be a bit desperate to win a GT, Bardet was taking plenty of risks. Evans was great on descents maybe he could help Porte out. Froome has definitely improved his bike handling in the past few years. Tactically Porte was fine yesterday, he tried a few attacks on the final climb and was well positioned on the descent. Valverde crashed on the same descent in the Dauphine and then crashed in the TT in the Tour and he's usually a very good bike handler. Split second misjudgement is all it takes.

There are only two teams that seam to get it Sky and now AG2R. There is only one objective winning GC. not a stage win, not another jersey, nothing but the GC win for the chosen rider.

cantpedal said:
movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:

There are only two teams that seam to get it Sky and now AG2R. There is only one objective winning GC. not a stage win, not another jersey, nothing but the GC win for the chosen rider.

Em Ag2R have been in lots of breaks in the first week looking for stages...namely Bakelants, Frank, Vuillermoz on more than one stage ... And they are also going for the the white jersey ;)

May 20, 2013
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Angliru said:
movingtarget said:
rhubroma said:
Rollthedice said:
He wasn't gonna win it anyway, too busy doing dom duties for pal Froome. Also somebody should of told him to be more careful because he is not good at descending, it cost Martin time, wounds and a potential stage win. Hope he'll be OK and stick with one week races, there he is a factor.

It must be nerves, because you can't reel off the curve e like that unless you are already ***-ting. And that's what he misses to win the Tour.

He rode the same descent a month before and rode it without incident albeit slower than Froome.

The degree of pressure isn't comparable.

Well that's debatable the way Froome was bombing down the descent in the Dauphine. Porte was probably better off sitting on the back or just off the back as other riders have done who have similar issues with such descents. He actually did that in the Dauphine and caught up at the bottom when the road started to flatten out. Poor Dan Martin probably wishes he did but Martin also said the road was slippery.

I remember in the SBS commentary during the Dauphine they made the comment that Richie was smart to hang back a little on the descent because then he could see the line Froome was taking and that made it easier to follow. Fugalsang hung back and like Richie in the Dauphine caught up with the others at the bottom didn't he? To be honest I was too traumatised after seeing Richie crash that I could hardly take in those last moments of the stage.

cantpedal said:
movingtarget said:
IndianCyclist said:

Not every team has that luxury but BMC seem to send mixed messages not that it had an effect on Porte up to when he left the race.

Disappointing to see him crash out. He was looking really good and I was wondering if he was finally going to ride a grand tour without having a bad day. Until now I only saw him as a week long stage racer, but I thought he might have turned the corner. Guess we will find out at the vuelta

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Want Porte to target the Giro and Vuelta in 2018. He can perform well in those races.

Giro is tougher than the TDF. Not in terms of depth of course, but variable conditions and more dangerous descents, variable stages.

offbyone said:
Disappointing to see him crash out. He was looking really good and I was wondering if he was finally going to ride a grand tour without having a bad day. Until now I only saw him as a week long stage racer, but I thought he might have turned the corner. Guess we will find out at the vuelta

Can't imagine he'd be back for the Vuelta. He won't be on a bike for weeks after this.

offbyone said:

I don't think he will ride the Vuelta, but good to see him reasonably healthy, all things considered.

Lupi33x said:
yaco said:
Want Porte to target the Giro and Vuelta in 2018. He can perform well in those races.

Giro is tougher than the TDF. Not in terms of depth of course, but variable conditions and more dangerous descents, variable stages.

Given that the Vuelta tends to have about 9 uphill finishers as opposed to only one downhill one, that GT would be the ideal choice for Porte to focus on next year. However, it's almost certain that no team would allow a rider at that level to specifically target the Vuelta in a season, even if he won Paris-Nice, Romandie and Swiss before it.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

gregrowlerson said:
Lupi33x said:
yaco said:

Given that the Vuelta tends to have about 9 uphill finishers as opposed to only one downhill one, that GT would be the ideal choice for Porte to focus on next year. However, it's almost certain that no team would allow a rider at that level to specifically target the Vuelta in a season, even if he won Paris-Nice, Romandie and Swiss before it.

Would be ideal if he could get there this year if the pelvis heals on time.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

memyselfandI said:
Sadly time may be running out for Porte, because it's important to get GT or GT's per year and now he's forced to skip Vuelta too that could have been optimal for next years TdF.

is he confirmed unavailable for 2017 Vuelta?

gregrowlerson said:
Lupi33x said:
yaco said:

I think he will follow the same program next year as it worked so well this year but the TDU might be a question mark. A bit of a later start to the season and even missing the Australian Road Titles wouldn't be a bad thing. He could could even ride support in one or two of the hilly classics later in the season like he did for Sky. Apart from possible changes to the early season races I think he will follow the same prep into the Tour next year. I would be surprised if BMC went to the Giro with Porte. I think next year it will be TJVG and Dennis again for the Giro unless the Tour has a TTT then they won't have any choice but to take Dennis and send another domestique to the Giro. Hermans might even end up in the Tour team as well.

movingtarget said:
gregrowlerson said:
Lupi33x said:
yaco said:

I think he will follow the same program next year as it worked so well this year but the TDU might be a question mark. A bit of a later start to the season and even missing the Australian Road Titles wouldn't be a bad thing. He could could even ride support in one or two of the hilly classics later in the season like he did for Sky. Apart from possible changes to the early season races I think he will follow the same prep into the Tour next year. I would be surprised if BMC went to the Giro with Porte. I think next year it will be TJVG and Dennis again for the Giro unless the Tour has a TTT then they won't have any choice but to take Dennis and send another domestique to the Giro. Hermans might even end up in the Tour team as well.

Porte crashed badly and was injured probably worse at the Olympics last year (later than the Tour) and he still managed to win TDU...so I don't think that is an issue

I think Porte should target the Worlds in Norway...he could do a great ride there...parcours suit

I think he will stay with wining formula next year ...and BMC will hopefully dedicate more climbers to Tour team....Hermans and may be buy one or 2

sienna said:
Jancouver said:
sienna said:
It seems Aru had a role in the crash - Richie didn't screw up by himself.

Yes he did. He picked that wheel and he should be able to react to whatever obstacle is in front of him. This "blame others" game is pathetic.
So he was riding too fast?

Have you seen the video clip floating around of Richie talking about the crash from his hospital bed??

TRENDING THREADS