• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte Discussion Thread.

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In which year will Porte win the GT Treble?

• He will only manage the double

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Yeah agree, it was just a completely off-day. Prolly losing between 3 minutes to lil Richie, maybe less.
The gap prior to the TT was only 1:39. So even on his normal TT would have lost the podium spot to Porte anyway. But you should think about the energy Lopez expended in winning stage 17. That explains the off day.

Lopez wasn’t a better climber over all the mountain stages in last year’s TdF than Porte. In fact Porte distanced Lopez on occasions as well. eg Col du Grand Colombier.

Reactions: movingtarget
Amazing that Richie is the first Aussie to win the Dauphine since Phil Anderson! Phil is a legend and pioneer of Australian road cycling success in Europe so that is a huge stat Porte can be proud of.

Late in his career Porte is adding some impressive results to his palmeres. While we will always wonder what if, at least he can be very proud now he has shut up many doubters on his true abilities since last season.

Amazing that Richie is the first Aussie to win the Dauphine since Phil Anderson! Phil is a legend and pioneer of Australian road cycling success in Europe so that is a huge stat Porte can be proud of.

Late in his career Porte is adding some impressive results to his palmeres. While we will always wonder what if, at least he can be very proud now he has shut up many doubters on his true abilities since last season.
Anderson won some good races : Tour De Suisse, Tour De Romandie, Dauphine and two fifth places in the Tour as well as two Tour stage wins and two Giro stage wins plus the Amstel Gold race (1983),
Züri–Metzgete (1984) Frankfurt Grand Prix (1984, 1985) Paris–Tours (1986) Milano–Torino (1987). He certainly inspired the following generations of Aussie riders.

Porte can be proud of his career. Just a shame that his best grand tour years from a physical standpoint didn't pan out the way he hoped for. But that Tour podium last year certainly seemed to purge a lot of demons for him and obviously at 36 he can still win good races.

I think Richie looks in better form than 2020. The conundrum is if Thomas falters the gap conceded to Rog and Pog might already be too great for LRP. I think Porte will likely be riding for Carapaz at some point in the Tour. Carapaz has prepared specifically for the TdF, is in great form as we saw at TdS and is still youngish so should be at a higher level now than when he beat Nibali and Roglic at the 2019 Giro when he was still only 25.

Last edited:
I think Richie looks in better form than 2020. The conundrum is if Thomas falters the gap conceded to Rog and Pog might already be too great for LRP. I think Porte will likely be riding for Carapaz at some point in the Tour. Carapaz has prepared specifically for the TdF, is in great form as we saw at TdS and is still youngish so should be at a higher level now than when he beat Nibali and Roglic at the 2019 Giro when he was still only 25.
Carapaz can't beat Roglic and Pogacar going head to head and with two TTs I don't think. Ineos have to get tactical and use their team of GC riders to create doubts for the other teams. The only way Ineos can win the race I think it to sacrifice good riders and be aggressive in the mountains. Protecting riders until the third week won't work against the two Slovenians who are strong climbers and TT riders. And setting a high tempo and towing Roglic to the finish to lose the time bonuses won't work either. Which probably also means that Ineos will have to try and get a rider in the break constantly especially on the harder stages. I think one of the climbing domestiques will have to drop big time early in the race maybe so they become no threat in a break but could be invaluable if Ineos can isolate Pog or Rog.

So is it sure /confirmed he was caught by one of the crash?
Apparently Port and TGH caught up in the crash, yep:

Tao Geoghegan Hart and Richie Porte made it back to the peloton after the first crash sparked by a roadside fan holding a sign but were caught up in the second pile-up inside the final 10 kilometres and were unable to get back to the front of the race. Porte lost 2:16, with Geoghegan Hart finishing 5:33 down in a bigger chase group.

"Happy to get through it but gutted about Richie and Tao," Thomas said as he warmed down post-stage.

"It was a solid day, stressful with a few crashes. In the big crash at the end, I had no idea who was in it. It ended up with Richie being in it which wasn't great. I was just concentrating on staying on my bike, basically."