• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Unfortunately, I think what we are seeing is an arms race spurred on by Sky's ridiculous achievements in stage races in the past year.

Sooner or later, those guys who said "I really am going to give clean cycling a chance" are going to say "I am sick of coming in 29th on good form."

Quintana just said "Oh yea, well check this out."

At least USPS left stage races during the season to the Peloton. All lance/USPS wanted was TDF. These skyborgs want complete assimilation, thats a bit greedy right? It will bite them where it hurts.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
webvan said:
Nah...that will have to wait until he joins Sky in the meantime the "pitch and fork crowd" will contuinue to suspect ol' Richie of the worst.

And the handbag swingers will continue to whistle a happy tune while walking through a slum.

jilbiker said:
At least USPS left stage races during the season to the Peloton. All lance/USPS wanted was TDF. These skyborgs want complete assimilation, thats a bit greedy right? It will bite them where it hurts.

If Sky are doping, then they can't do the Armstrong thing under the biopassport. Need to be good all year round so that the Tour values aren't as suspicious.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If Sky are doping, then they can't do the Armstrong thing under the biopassport. Need to be good all year round so that the Tour values aren't as suspicious.

Who checks the bio passport ? Is it updated after every test ? Are the tour values published ?

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Wow not a good result for Porte. He forgot to warm down yesterday? Forgot his pillow in the hotel? Didn't wash his hands properly?

Hey LaFlorecita, look over there it's a bandwagon, quick jump on it.......oh sorry you already have. Sorry my bad.:rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Unfortunately, I think what we are seeing is an arms race spurred on by Sky's ridiculous achievements in stage races in the past year.

Sooner or later, those guys who said "I really am going to give clean cycling a chance" are going to say "I am sick of coming in 29th on good form."

Quintana just said "Oh yea, well check this out."

Can't lay the blame at Sky's door, given cycling's history. They walked into a clean sprt did they? Indeed, considering the general narrative of Sky's doping is that, after 2010's poor season, they hired Leinders so they could compete with a doped peloton. Who's to blame for that?

Who exactly said 'I'm goingto give clean cycling a chance' btw?

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps this is all a bit overstated?

Richie had shown signs of being able both to climb like Froome and to TT like Wiggins, which would have been pretty ridiculous.

However, it looks like he can't really do either, although he is a good all-rounder.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
icefire said:
What are the chances that Porte slowed down on purpose so Sky goes a bit out of the radar in these 1-week races? We'll have to wait see in Giro and Tour, I guess.

Yes its true he has just ridden through wind ,rain ,snow and freezing temps for a week and then threw his last chance to win a race this season .Those 20 seconds he threw will now make all the differance to the way Sky are viewed .Also its nothing to do with the fact he was beaten by a rider who nearly beat the world champion or the fact the course wasnt best suited to him

So obvious

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Unzue & Valverde took the challenge very personal-so the rest of the Pro- Teams would & will indeed catch up, because of the ridiculous modus operandi that SKY is setting across the calender, which is winning everything. Sorry but this matter is only SKY to blame for dragging cycling back to 99.

I also blame them for my brussels not growing last year

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The irony of performance as proof is both winning and not can be used, it's a matter of spin and opinion. Too many times after a race we se people unhappy with the result calling the victors dopers, and now with Sky they're soft-pedalling to lose.

In conditions like that it is as much mental strength as athletic ability that gets you through and wins you the race. Cold, wet, wind, hilly, a race for those with mental toughness.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
I'm sorry, I missed the part where I said it was.

Originally Posted by JimmyFingers
Generally 'not a good result' can be called a 'bad result' as well

Not good = bad

So you weren't being condescending to LaFlo, who isn't a native English speaker, with your English lesson?