• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
As much as I feel bad for Porte today (as he's having an off day), his performance also shows the absolut bull**** around here about the speculations of his doping.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
As much as I feel bad for Porte today (as he's having an off day), his performance also shows the absolut bull**** around here about the speculations of his doping.

More like is playing the role of the good team rider. I can just imagine the debrief last night, 'Look lads, there is no way they are going to fall for another Sky 1 / 2 in the Tour. Sorry Richie, but tomorrow you go down in the second round, we have to make this look at least a little believable."

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
As far as I've seen, he's looked in no trouble at all, in complete control. He's deliberately losing all this time. Quite recently the camera was showing him and Hesjedal- Ryder was fighting with his bike (pardon the Liggetism), his shoulders were rolling, he was out of his saddle and looked wasted. Little Richie on the other hand. Head still. Shoulders still. Sitting down. Looking like he was in no difficulty at all.

Are we forgetting that Quintana bust his *** as hard, if not more so than Porte yesterday, and today he's been brilliant?

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:

DB had a word to him last night: stop showing off and lose time tomorrow!
Seriously, when Garmin's Dan Martin is now leading the race, surely Porte should not have done as bad considering he was fresh and beating up everyone else bar Froome yesterday.

The commentators said he is just "relax".

May 27, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:

sniff sniff...tear.....reminds me of the good ole' days of the Armstrong trolls...good times, good times.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Robert21 said:
More like is playing the role of the good team rider. I can just imagine the debrief last night, 'Look lads, there is no way they are going to fall for another Sky 1 / 2 in the Tour. Sorry Richie, but tomorrow you go down in the second round, we have to make this look at least a little believable."

Arhh...the ultimate conspiracy - cover all bases. Just when there is some undue attention for possible doping, direct a GC contender to take a dive. All too convenient to come up witj for my liking. Keep digging, you will see China soon.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Arhh...the ultimate conspiracy - cover all bases. Just when there is some undue attention for possible doping, direct a GC contender to take a dive. All too convenient to come up witj for my liking. Keep digging, you will see China soon.

But we won't see Porte's fugly face on the podium, so regardless of the reason. today was a good day.

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Arhh...the ultimate conspiracy - cover all bases. Just when there is some undue attention for possible doping, direct a GC contender to take a dive.

If that second place were so important he might have at least made some sort of effort to defend it. Just look at Voeckler on the Galibier last year. Doping or not that is what a rider looks like when trying to defend a high GC place. They do not ride along as though it were a cafe run, as Porte seems to have done today.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Robert21 said:
If that second place were so important he might have at least made some sort of effort to defend it. Just look at Voeckler on the Galibier last year. Doping or not that is what a rider looks like when trying to defend a high GC place. They do not ride along as though it were a cafe run, as Porte seems to have done today.

Let me just play in this sand pit for a sec - the team directs Porte to lose 10 mins, so he can put in doping enhanced performanes later in the Tour to help Froome and there is hardly any bad coverage given to him considering his overall position?

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Robert21 said:

Saving up for the ITT - he will tear it to pieces along with some of the Alpes stages, and get back onto the third step......

Brailsfraud got the message from Prudhomme to tone it down, need to stop the full genius amongst your donkeys-

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:

We get it. Australians don't dope. Neither did Evans when he was seeing Ferrari or when he came 8th in the 05 Tour against 30 or more super doped up riders. Gotcha.

Robert21 said:

You mean two years ago but yeah.... I sort of miss the 2011 tour...or I am not allowed to say that?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
whittashau said:
We get it. Australians don't dope. Neither did Evans when he was seeing Ferrari or when he came 8th in the 05 Tour against 30 or more super doped up riders. Gotcha.

Show me where he's tested positive or been implicated by another rider or official? Yeah didn't think so. As for seeing Ferrari, it is widely known it was a one-off test, so good luck there as well.

Just remember you can believe what you want to believe, especially if it makes you sleep better at night. ;)

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
darwin553 said:
I thought it was pretty clear from the list of results I posted who I was referring to.

You said second in the Vuelta but didn't list Froome!

You sound like old Liggett tonight with his 'Richie Froome.' Come on, you've at least gotta try and keep a straight face whilst making this stuff up! :D

darwin553 said:

We get it. You aren't convinced. Dial the conspiracy theories way back for a minute.

1: It's a team sport. Throughout the history of the sport podiums have been called by DS's.
2: Imagine Froome Dog's power declines somewhere within the realm of a Contador by week three. A fresh(er) Porte will be vital in that scenario. I don't think that's going to happen, but it could.
3. We know the race organizer is active in managing the race's drama.

He'll be back for the TT. Either that, or that was the most spectacular PED induced flame-out since cortisol injections.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Show me where he's tested positive or been implicated by another rider or official? Yeah didn't think so. As for seeing Ferrari, it is widely known it was a one-off test, so good luck there as well.

Just remember you can believe what you want to believe, especially if it makes you sleep better at night. ;)

Man, If you want to live with your eyes closed than all power to you. Seriously though, if you even looked at the top 50 of the 05 Tour and saw all the riders Evans beat and how many of them were doped to the gills than you would have no question in your mind about what he was doing back then. I honestly believe he's probably not up to much nowadays, but back then to compete at the top like he did....there was only one answer.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Let me just play in this sand pit for a sec - the team directs Porte to lose 10 mins, so he can put in doping enhanced performanes later in the Tour to help Froome and there is hardly any bad coverage given to him considering his overall position?

Very plausible indeed. It looked like Porte was riding down to the coffee shop to pick up his Latte. Looks and smells a little fishy to me.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Alphabet said:
As far as I've seen, he's looked in no trouble at all, in complete control. He's deliberately losing all this time. Quite recently the camera was showing him and Hesjedal- Ryder was fighting with his bike (pardon the Liggetism), his shoulders were rolling, he was out of his saddle and looked wasted. Little Richie on the other hand. Head still. Shoulders still. Sitting down. Looking like he was in no difficulty at all.

Are we forgetting that Quintana bust his *** as hard, if not more so than Porte yesterday, and today he's been brilliant?

That's it in a nutshell. Every time the camera went to Porte, he looked like he was taking a stroll in the park. No effort at all. Losing time deliberately so as to not draw suspicion on Froome! Whatever. Didn't look legit at all. But it'll fool some.
boladelmundo said:
DB had a word to him last night: stop showing off and lose time tomorrow!
Seriously, when Garmin's Dan Martin is now leading the race, surely Porte should not have done as bad considering he was fresh and beating up everyone else bar Froome yesterday.

The commentators said he is just "relax".

Can you imagine it now if Froome crashes? I think a lot of words were said to all of team Sky by many big wigs in cycling. Froome still had the measure of several Quintana attacks. As long as he stays upright, Sky got back to looking like they suck every other day, yeah, then the ASO and UCI can sell this. Even if Froome is still going ape$hit on every climb above every other GC rider.

TRENDING THREADS