• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
durianrider said:
The NRS is like the pro tour. As hard.

RP rides away from em just like Paris Nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ZgobjFM0c

For the people playing at home, this is fallacious. NRS is the highest level of cycling competition in Australia, but nowhere near protour.

The TdF, for example, has stages of 200+ km in a 3 week race.

The video displayed clearly shows 76km length stages, in up to 1 week length race. Longest NRS tour stage is around 120km. Climbs are nothing like Tour HC cols.

NRS is a number of steps below protour.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
For the people playing at home, this is fallacious. NRS is the highest level of cycling competition in Australia, but nowhere near protour.

The TdF, for example, has stages of 200+ km in a 3 week race.

The video displayed clearly shows 76km length stages, in up to 1 week length race. Longest NRS tour stage is around 120km. Climbs are nothing like Tour HC cols.

NRS is a number of steps below protour.

Right but in Durans mind offseason basemiles in Au = 2.HC therefore the NRS must be PT.

WTF? NRS is hard, yes but to say its WT level is ridiculous. To claim that 2-3 80 - 120 km stages and a bunch of crits is equivalent to a week long WT race is hilarious. When I was racing NRS my teammates and I got our backsides whipped every summer by the big boys. The gap was BIG. The NRS is roughly continental level, certainly the best guys in the NRS are capable of winning at that level.

Rides like Lapthorne and McDonalds national titles were rare exceptions. Von Hoff and Haas haven't exactly set the WT alight...

Sep 29, 2012
42x16ss said:
WTF? NRS is hard, yes but to say its WT level is ridiculous. To claim that 2-3 80 - 120 km stages and a bunch of crits is equivalent to a week long WT race is hilarious. When I was racing NRS my teammates and I got our backsides whipped every summer by the big boys. The gap was BIG. The NRS is roughly continental level, certainly the best guys in the NRS are capable of winning at that level.

Rides like Lapthorne and McDonalds national titles were rare exceptions. Von Hoff and Haas haven't exactly set the WT alight...

Mind you Hoff and Hass have only really been there a year.

Way OT, but Caleb Ewan is one to watch, IMO. Last race I read about (U23 in Europe) he had a stack, got up, got paced back to the bunch by his team, attacked the bunch, bridged up to the break away then won that bunch kick for the stage / race win.

:eek:

Dear Wiggo said:
Mind you Hoff and Hass have only really been there a year.

Way OT, but Caleb Ewan is one to watch, IMO. Last race I read about (U23 in Europe) he had a stack, got up, got paced back to the bunch by his team, attacked the bunch, bridged up to the break away then won that bunch kick for the stage / race win.

:eek:
Porte was a first year pro when he finished top 10 in the Giro ;) Haas and Von Hoff dominated the NRS in similar fashion to Richie, yet they are progressing far more gradually. I guess that may be due to the difference between Riis and your mate JV's "development" practices? It could also be possible that Porte wasn't truly pushed in the NRS.

Ewen is the goods. I've heard Brad McGee took him on a training ride up around West Head over the summer and threw up a couple of times trying to keep up on the hills :D

42x16ss said:
Porte was a first year pro when he finished top 10 in the Giro ;) Haas and Von Hoff dominated the NRS in similar fashion to Richie, yet they are progressing far more gradually. I guess that may be due to the difference between Riis and your mate JV's "development" practices? It could also be possible that Porte wasn't truly pushed in the NRS.

Ewen is the goods. I've heard Brad McGee took him on a training ride up around West Head over the summer and threw up a couple of times trying to keep up on the hills :D

Can't really compare the other two to Porte, his season in Italy would have fast tracked his progression immensely.

Sep 29, 2012
42x16ss said:

It's also possible that Porte had less ... shall we say .. assistance at NRS level. The other side of the progression coin, perhaps?

Dear Wiggo said:
It's also possible that Porte had less ... shall we say .. assistance at NRS level. The other side of the progression coin, perhaps?
Didn't think of that TBH. Praties/Genesys/Huon Salmon has been a bit of a production line in terms of talent - Porte, Haas, Von Hoff, Giacoppo, Earle (who I understand has been picked up by Sky)

They also have a solid budget and are easily the most organised of Australian domestic teams, along with Drapac Porsche.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
TylerDurden1 said:
He finished 7th overall in the Giro 2010. wore pink for 3 days.

He didn't get better all of a sudden, he was always a good rider ...
He probably could've finished top 10 overall in the tour if he rode for himself.

Got to agree. Strong performance in the tour of england a couple of years ago and the tour of romandie in 2011. He's still young(ish) and as most riders do until their early 30s, becoming stronger and riding with more intelligence.

Nothing unexpected in this year's performances.

thehog said:
For me Porte was more ridiculous than Froome.

After he pulled that turn I thought he'd drop and ride in slowly. He sort of freewheeled for 10 seconds then took off again. Incredible.

Take Froome and Porte out and it would have been a good stage.

Yea, Froome i kind of expected him to be good but i didn't expect Porte to ride home second.

TRENDING THREADS