• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jilbiker said:
I know we have trashed this topic either in another thread or in this but each time i look at RichieP's face I am just disgusted, it is clearly evident to me that this fellow is on artificial PED. I speak from experience having worked out (not used) with body builders, I have seen drugs change the body and especially the face. I can spot it a mile. Take for instance I know Will Smith juiced up to pound the muscles he has now. Some of these changes are minor, some major, all depends on what you use. Porte, I know that face from the Saxo days and the is a difference. I see him pounding at the front of the peloton and it just not right!

But you know it will eventually come out...5yrs, 10years, 15yrs (aka Lance)

Everyones face changes. And if its drastic it could be a sign of a crash, a fight, an illness or even surgery. No way you can tell if someone is doping from their face

The Hitch said:
Come on guys dont push this.

Race Radio has earned some respect around here and his opinion is valid.

Of course quiz RR and point out where you disagree with him. As some have said, if lienders was such an accident how comes team 100% attention to detail hired him.

Did Porte talk about Saxo, riis?

Did porte explain what he meant when he said to journos earlier this year that sky simply train harder than anyone else. How can he know that. Is it not extremely offensive to other riders to tell them they are not training as hard as him.

Maybe ask rr what he thinks on the rest of Sky. I remember he said some months ago that he is supsicious of wiggins as wiggos blood values in 2009 tour where similar to his dear friend and hero Lance Armstrong.

I certainly myself find a flaw in believing that because modern riders dont have the same "**** off" attitude to questions about doping as they did 10 years ago and actually answer questions directly these days, means they are clean. Wiggin's behaviour at the tour was in that regard quite remarkable and astonishing. Doping like all things evolves and dopers like all liars and criminals evolve. so new dopers, whether porte is one of them or not, will learn to be more open about the subject.

But to simply dismiss him the second he makes a point that contradicts your opinion is not only wrong and detrimental to your argument but astonishingly closed minded. Its something some (not all) of the sky fans are guilty of and any of you that do it are behaving no differently to the blind nationalistic fanboyism you claim to be opposed to.

People offering legitimate counterarguments is where a person learns to test their opinions to make sure they are right. Not close down and abuse the opponent.

Rrs comments have made me reconsider my opinion. Is Porte clean. Are sky clean. Could Bailsford be telling the truth. I still think the arguments against sky still greatly outweigh the arguments in their favour. It would make no sense to me that wiggins would behave the way he has done since he said "no doping doctors" in 2007 and be clean. but ill keep in mind that RR saw Porte as honest and open minded. Just like ill keep in mind what Walsh said about bailsford even though i see many flaws in that too. And aknowledge it as a point in skys and particularly porte's favour.

I agree with much of this post, which at least sees things from more than one entrenched position.
But I do think Hitch is placing too much emphasis on what riders say.
Personally, I think its best to hit the ignore button when they speak, and judge them by what they & their team does. I am thinking here about hiring & occasionally firing of murky staff & riders, open access, transparency, believable results
I also find it depressing when previous heros of the Clinic (race radio, Walsh etc) are attacked as soon as they deviate from the clinic-mantra.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Rrs comments have made me reconsider my opinion. Is Porte clean. Are sky clean. Could Bailsford be telling the truth.
Everything is possible Hitch, you know, in a perfect world people dont have to cheat to become the best. Walt Disney would agree with this, the brothers Grimm too.

Most athletes are born liars.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
coinneach said:
I agree with much of this post, which at least sees things from more than one entrenched position.
Personally, I think its best to hit the ignore button when they speak, and judge them by what they & their team does. I am thinking here about hiring & occasionally firing of murky staff & riders, open access, transparency, believable results
I also find it depressing when previous heros of the Clinic (race radio, Walsh etc) are attacked as soon as they deviate from the clinic-mantra.

Clinic mantra? Where has that been engraved?

The Hitch said:
Come on guys dont push this.

Race Radio has earned some respect around here and his opinion is valid.

Of course quiz RR and point out where you disagree with him. As some have said, if lienders was such an accident how comes team 100% attention to detail hired him.

Did Porte talk about Saxo, riis?

Did porte explain what he meant when he said to journos earlier this year that sky simply train harder than anyone else. How can he know that. Is it not extremely offensive to other riders to tell them they are not training as hard as him.

Maybe ask rr what he thinks on the rest of Sky. I remember he said some months ago that he is supsicious of wiggins as wiggos blood values in 2009 tour where similar to his dear friend and hero Lance Armstrong.

I certainly myself find a flaw in believing that because modern riders dont have the same "**** off" attitude to questions about doping as they did 10 years ago and actually answer questions directly these days, means they are clean. Wiggin's behaviour at the tour was in that regard quite remarkable and astonishing. Doping like all things evolves and dopers like all liars and criminals evolve. so new dopers, whether porte is one of them or not, will learn to be more open about the subject.

But to simply dismiss him the second he makes a point that contradicts your opinion is not only wrong and detrimental to your argument but astonishingly closed minded. Its something some (not all) of the sky fans are guilty of and any of you that do it are behaving no differently to the blind nationalistic fanboyism you claim to be opposed to.

People offering legitimate counterarguments is where a person learns to test their opinions to make sure they are right. Not close down and abuse the opponent.

Rrs comments have made me reconsider my opinion. Is Porte clean. Are sky clean. Could Bailsford be telling the truth. I still think the arguments against sky still greatly outweigh the arguments in their favour. It would make no sense to me that wiggins would behave the way he has done since he said "no doping doctors" in 2007 and be clean. but ill keep in mind that RR saw Porte as honest and open minded. Just like ill keep in mind what Walsh said about bailsford even though i see many flaws in that too. And aknowledge it as a point in skys and particularly porte's favour.

I know what you're saying. Sometimes I'm like "no chance, they couldn't possible be doping teamwide, it's too risky"

Then I watch Chris Froome and say "hang on a minute!".

Porte is a nice guy. I agree that RR interpretation of their lunch together.

However Porte has said the complete opposite to MA.

Sky are killing everyone. Perhaps they could share their blood profiles to put our minds at ease? Didn't think so.

Nothing's changed.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Bronstein said:
Sky never wanted to know anything about Leinders. That is why they let Peters 'interview' him. Blind Freddy would known that it was very likely that Leinders was involved in doping at Rabobank. To claim that Sky's hiring of Leinders can be put down to a lack of due diligence is laughable.

Hey man it's RR, his word is gospel didn't you know?

I will note that RR did not say he believed Porte. Nor did RR state Porte is clean or Sky is clean.

Everybody knows what the Rabo boys have said about Leinders. Seems like a 'nice' guy, but then again some of the Postal docs were as well. Didn't stop them doping riders nor being hired solely for their doping expertise.

I wonder how charming Porte was? After all, charm can be very deceitful.

Galic Ho said:

I will note that RR did not say he believed Porte. Nor did RR state Porte is clean or Sky is clean.

Everybody knows what the Rabo boys have said about Leinders. Seems like a 'nice' guy, but then again some of the Postal docs were as well. Didn't stop them doping riders nor being hired solely for their doping expertise.

That is why i said

Zam_Olyas said:
RaceRadio's opinion on Sky/Froome/Wiggins would be nice to know. just saying.

but i forgot to include The Tassie tree hugger.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
That is why i said

RR never gives an opinion per se. Just some raw details mixed in with an interjection to colour things up. RR is open to being questioned to obtain truthful understanding as much as the next person. Just because someone gets one thing right more or less, does not mean they get EVERYTHING right.

Questioning is ALWAYS permitted. It must be.

but i forgot to include The Tassie tree hugger.

Tree hugger, cousin lover. Yeah that describes Tasmania.:p

Galic Ho said:
RR never gives an opinion per se. Just some raw details mixed in with an interjection to colour things up. RR is open to being questioned to obtain truthful understanding as much as the next person. Just because someone gets one thing right more or less, does not mean they get EVERYTHING right.

Questioning is ALWAYS permitted. It must be.

Tree hugger, cousin lover. Yeah that describes Tasmania.:p

Of course it won't mean he is right, i just want to know his opinion. I got the tassie tree hugger quote from your earlier post in 2012. :D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Everyones face changes. And if its drastic it could be a sign of a crash, a fight, an illness or even surgery. No way you can tell if someone is doping from their face
no,
indeed you can

when riders start to exhibit minor physiognomy of acromegaly. teeth being skewed, jaw lengthening, forehead growing, entire head growing, brow being more sharp/prominent, nose widening, frontal bossing on the brow.

just like jilbiker said

blackcat said:
no,
indeed you can

when riders start to exhibit minor physiognomy of acromegaly. teeth being skewed, jaw lengthening, forehead growing, entire head growing, brow being more sharp/prominent, nose widening, frontal bossing on the brow.

just like jilbiker said

You can tell a recreational drug user from their eyes...something like that eh?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
coinneach said:
The Clinic 12, just became The Clinic 11.

RIP The Clinic 12

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
You can tell a recreational drug user from their eyes...something like that eh?
we are talking hormones that make bones grow.

ask jonny vee:
http://ftp.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=features/2005/vaughters_1999
agents like human growth hormone and testosterone offer comparatively "minute" improvements. "The users can have their balls shrivel up and their foreheads grow larger and whatever and good luck to them, but it's the oxygen vector drugs that are really powerful."

jonny vee wins
blackcat piggybacks

hgh ftw

Galic Ho said:

I like Race Radio.

But I will tease him.

When Wiggins said he loved Lance, Race told us Wiggins was only joking.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=9295&highlight=Rogers

If Race believes Porte is clean then good.

But it's not enough these days to just say you're clean.

Sky really did need to start releasing blood profiles or something.

Froome is becoming a total joke. Even RR would have to admit Froome is highly suspicious.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Porte will do the Giro by all accounts. They won't have deluded plans for him on doing the double. The Giro will keep him onside for the time being next season although I wouldn't be too sure long after that. He did only sign a one-year extension.

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I follow TheRaceRadio on twitter and I think he deserves our trust for backing Richie Porte as a clean rider. With TheRaceRadio's history of standing against the doper Armstrong, there is no way he would give Porte free PR if he thought he was in any way dirty.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
No way you can tell if someone is doping from their face

bettiniphoto_0143443_1_full_670.jpg

gooner said:
Porte will do the Giro by all accounts. They won't have deluded plans for him on doing the double. The Giro will keep him onside for the time being next season although I wouldn't be too sure long after that. He did only sign a one-year extension.

Froome will probably go for the treble in 2015 and will meet Porte in July who will be at BMC after winning the 2014 Giro.

1 (this year), none next year because Johan & Trek will buy out his contract to support Horner's attempt at a triple. It's all about finances. Then on BMC he will ride in support of TVG & Evans for a year. Then he will finally get another chance as team leader with Garmin but much to the dismay of JV those darned pesky chiggers will be back gnawing on his guts and he will never be the same again.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Zero Tolerance said:
I follow TheRaceRadio on twitter and I think he deserves our trust for backing Richie Porte as a clean rider. With TheRaceRadio's history of standing against the doper Armstrong, there is no way he would give Porte free PR if he thought he was in any way dirty.
I don't think RR ever said that Porte was clean? More that he was willing to engage on the topic in a direct way which many riders, typically, do not.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I had lunch with Richie last week. I would be the last person a doper would want to hang out with.

I found him very open, direct, and confident. He was clearly very passionate about the sport and his team. I asked a lot of questions and he gave me very direct, non-evasive, answers. I have had the same discussion with dozens of riders over the years but few have been as direct as Richie.

Do you think he has changed much over the last three of four years?