• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
webvan said:
Can't see anything particularly suspicious, Porte is in the shape of his life, riding at 100% confidence, and the opposition is not that great in the first place. Some accusers here should get a life...

A couple of questions if you would indulge me,

1) When did this form start(just before Paris-Nice?) and how long will it last for?

2) Has he ridden with this 'confidence' before if so, why wasn't he getting these results?

3) If it was a different rider, maybe one you didn't like or a team you didn't like, would you have just posted the above?

webvan said:
Can't see anything particularly suspicious, Porte is in the shape of his life, riding at 100% confidence, and the opposition is not that great in the first place. Some accusers here should get a life...

That, or they could try and gauge the credibility of a performance based on a riders history, previous results, proven ability (or lack thereof) in certain disciplines... one or the other.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
A couple of questions if you would indulge me,

1) When did this form start(just before Paris-Nice?) and how long will it last for?

2) Has he ridden with this 'confidence' before if so, why wasn't he getting these results?

3) If it was a different rider, maybe one you didn't like or a team you didn't like, would you have just posted the above?

Of course webvan would of!

We all know how much of a chump Alberto Contador is. Heck Porte was the real talent at Saxo back in 2010 and 2011. Now he doesn't have to tow the line his confidence has grown leaps and bounds. It's perfectly natural for him to be finishing right next to a poser like Contador. Perfectly normal.:rolleyes:

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Of course webvan would of!

We all know how much of a chump Alberto Contador is. Heck Porte was the real talent at Saxo back in 2010 and 2011. Now he doesn't have to tow the line his confidence has grown leaps and bounds. It's perfectly natural for him to be finishing right next to a poser like Contador. Perfectly normal.:rolleyes:

If only Porte was spanish or italian, he could have gone on the juice as well and win grand tours, but since he has superior morals he had to stay in the gruppetto with his 5.9w/kg.

Luckily everyone stopped doping in 2012 so maybe Porte can still win some of the grand tours he was robbed of.

happytramp said:
That, or they could try and gauge the credibility of a performance based on a riders history, previous results, proven ability (or lack thereof) in certain disciplines... one or the other.
That's what I did when I called Dopestrong the day of the 1999 prologue, "not normal", not sure many here can make that claim ? Point is, some stuff is obvious, and then you have people wasting their time looking for stuff that just isn't there because they don't like what they see for whatever obscure reasons. I would suggest that you watch the training video in Corsica posted by the RatShack team last week, it explains a few things as to why Sky might be dominating...

@Galic Ho -
This message is hidden because Galic Ho is on your ignore list
thanks to your previous antics you can now can save your breath, thanks.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
That's the scary part. Porte beating Samu and Anton. Another face palm moment for Team Sky in the believable stakes. Now I don't mind Henao...but come on. All the Roosters seem to want their go in the Sky hen house.

Tone it down Sky. It's way too obvious ATM.:D

Well, to be fair it's been a while since Anton has been that good (although he has been showing better form lately), and Samu is getting old. Beating Contador on the other hand is what throws up the bigger red flag (yet another), for me at least.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Simply a case oif fighting fire with fire when the needs demands, a way of puncturing certain prejudice and sensibilities, and exposing the partisan nature of this discussion: no-one is objective, no-one.

The ACC investigation is not insignificant, and the fact that ASADA are doing a seperate investigation does not preclude cycling won't be implicated as well.

So your basic premise (from your first post) is Ritchie Porte is now a star because he is doping under an Australian run doping program, which presumably he started before he joined Sky?

Is that it? If so, that makes absolutely no sense.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Well, to be fair it's been a while since Anton has been that good (although he has been showing better form lately), and Samu is getting old. Beating Contador on the other hand is what throws up the bigger red flag (yet another), for me at least.

Samu had a big crash last year. Was out for months. Come to think of it, Anton when he was looking like major GC material had a bad crash in the Vuelta which he was leading. So an Euskatel bad habit, but still these guys are pure climbing pedigree. Ask anyone from the 2011 Giro if after the Zoncolan stage they'd ever think Richie would beat Igor head to head on a steep climb. Nobody would say yes. Nobody would even think Porte would be in shape to be in the front group.

Porte hasn't beaten Contador yet, but if he finishes anywhere near him on a major climb and/or a time trial, then I say raise the threat level to Defcon 1 because he is borderline going full nuclear. Porte had a solid chrono in the 2011 Tour, behind Contador. Came 5th 1:30 off Tony Martin and 83 seconds behind Evans, 25 off Contador and only 7 seconds faster than Samu. Now Contador was 3rd that day and almost a full minute off Evans. Richie's last few days prior had been less than desirable, but he was in his second consecutive GT as a super domestique for Alberto. Suffice to say he'd not been going as hard as Contador had been on the previous Alpine stages but his form now makes his 2011 efforts seem like they are from his bad twin brother.

So slower climbing, more time to recoup for the chrono and yet, still slower even though it was his specialty. Skip forward 18 months. I'd wager he'd beat Contador in both now and yet some people think he's legit. Ok....;)

the sceptic said:
If only Porte was spanish or italian, he could have gone on the juice as well and win grand tours, but since he has superior morals he had to stay in the gruppetto with his 5.9w/kg.

Luckily everyone stopped doping in 2012 so maybe Porte can still win some of the grand tours he was robbed of.

I was reading his stats on Wikipedia. He's basically my build, well lighter, but yeah, same deal. I'm 2 years older. Maybe I should have become a pro bike rider in my early 20s! Rock up to the ball late, get noticed locally, struggle to get to Europe, then with a chance hand find that I'd really just been training wrong all along and Sky and team GB would show my Aussie noggin the right way. The marginal gains way. Then when I'd go home to Tassie and when the cousins come a knockin I could tell them how cool I was because I ride for Sky and can now beat that bad man who I used to ride with who dopes mucho grando...Spanish style!:D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
Contador punctured in the last 20 km.

Ok. I did watch the link to the footage. Stage at least looked nice. But still that climb is uber steep. 20% at the end and Porte was there! Henao gapping everyone including Contador...yeah that ain't normal. Look at where Contador's domestique Kreuziger finished. 30 seconds down. Porte's domestique dropped the best climber in the world and won the stage on a 20% gradient.

Sure that happens every day...if your name is Joaquin Rodriguez. Only guy I've seen do it to Contador pre 2012 Sky and he still had Alberto attached to his wheel.

Whilst I don't want this to appear a SKY defense, surely you can see that it is a different Contador than pre-ban?

Galic Ho said:
Ok. I did watch the link to the footage. Stage at least looked nice. But still that climb is uber steep. 20% at the end and Porte was there! Henao gapping everyone including Contador...yeah that ain't normal. Look at where Contador's domestique Kreuziger finished. 30 seconds down. Porte's domestique dropped the best climber in the world and won the stage on a 20% gradient.

Sure that happens every day...if your name is Joaquin Rodriguez. Only guy I've seen do it to Contador pre 2012 Sky and he still had Alberto attached to his wheel.

ljpoyz said:
Whilst I don't want this to appear a SKY defense, surely you can see that it is a different Contador than pre-ban?

everything is relative, sure Alberto seems to be lacking but that doesn't change the fact that both Richieborg and the Dog improved drastically. Actually, I think they could beat Alberto in his best ever form :eek:

I understand everything is relative, just wish everything was taken into account during the debate... Giro 2011 TDF 2010 etc Alberto would smoke the fools, but it isn't that Contador, not even close in my opinion (Yet, his form drop since the drug ban says we are seeing a closer to "normal" AC).

LaFlorecita said:
everything is relative, sure Alberto seems to be lacking but that doesn't change the fact that both Richieborg and the Dog improved drastically. Actually, I think they could beat Alberto in his best ever form :eek:

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
What I do not understand is, if Contador was doping during the 2011 Giro, why would he stop now? Nothing has changed, the consequences of getting caught are the same now as they were then. And if he was not doping then, is he really worse now, or are the others getting better? What do the numbers say?

Baltazar said:
What I do not understand is, if Contador was doping during the 2011 Giro, why would he stop now? Nothing has changed, the consequences of getting caught are the same now as they were then. And if he was not doping then, is he really worse now, or are the others getting better? What do the numbers say?

Well, he won the Vuelta "clean". It could be that he's only charging up for the big races since his ban.

ljpoyz said:
I understand everything is relative, just wish everything was taken into account during the debate... Giro 2011 TDF 2010 etc Alberto would smoke the fools, but it isn't that Contador, not even close in my opinion (Yet, his form drop since the drug ban says we are seeing a closer to "normal" AC).

Or that all are clean and velasco is not that really talented than froome,porte et al :eek: ;)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
One step? 3 years ago they couldn't place a rider in the Top 30. Now the entire team are worthy GT contenders! :rolleyes:

They could field two teams.

Im not sure if you are aware but thats how sporting teams work they buy players work hard and improve until hopefully they reach the top .Sky riding clean riding winning riding

TRENDING THREADS