• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Richie Porte what do we know about him?

We know he isnt exactly the sharpest rider in the peloton.

We also know that his plans to race the Giro were called out months ago. Now been confirmed.

This is like a nightmare. I cannot imagine anything worse. I hope Nibali sticks to riding in Italy for the remainder of his career. ****** the Tour.

The greatest race in the world managed to avoid being sullied by Wiggins this year, but this? Can Italy dodge two bullets in a row? Buy yourself a Ferrari and find out! :p

Oh and this latest news ensures we'll have plenty fodder and joke material for well into next year. Which speaking of, I have thought there was something going on between Porte and Froome. Bumping into one another...wink wink wink. Keep it off the road boys. The man love is a little TOO obvious!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
lives in monaco

I wonder whether he was involved with the Scarponi money laundering scheme Ferrari ran?

Nah, why would he be? You pay no taxes in Monaco! Does he share a flat with the Dawg and the squeeze?

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Carstenbf said:
Tell you what's wrong with Richie ..

He rode for MY team for two seasons. Decent TT'er. Decent Dom. Lucky breakaway Maglia Rosa.

Enter team SKY. New cycling prodigy. Serious stage race contender.

Natural progression? What do I know. I do however get a sudden onset of nausea whenever the camera finds him.

I watched Porte in final stage of the 2010 Vuelta ciclista a Madrid (3-day stage race), which came through my home village at the base of the final climb (Morcuera) - He was in the break with more than a minute at the village, the finish is 9km and 700m higher. He got caught and dropped within 3km, and nothing steeper than 7% gradient - a lot around 3-5% in the lower slopes.

He staggered in some NINE minutes down by the top, 6km after getting caught.....

Now we see see him dropping known dopers, who are also riders with a pedigree and palmares way better than Porte's ever was or will be! :eek:

GreasyMonkey said:
I watched Porte in final stage of the 2010 Vuelta ciclista a Madrid (3-day stage race), which came through my home village at the base of the final climb (Morcuera) - He was in the break with more than a minute at the village, the finish is 9km and 700m higher. He got caught and dropped within 3km, and nothing steeper than 7% gradient - a lot around 3-5% in the lower slopes.

He staggered in some NINE minutes down by the top, 6km after getting caught.....

Now we see see him dropping known dopers, who are also riders with a pedigree and palmares way better than Porte's ever was or will be! :eek:

Tell me about! And he's become all very agressive about his form.

What he did on Ax-3 was insane. He put in a turn and dropped 3 GT winners then Froome took off. He looked about and then rode away from everyone else! Caught Quintana. Waited and then took off again.

That night in front of journalists he told others teams not to attack because he'll catch them all.

Next day he had his faux jour sans. ASO told Sky to tone it down.

Next up he set Walsh upon the fans getting tanked on d'Huez.

Richie has become a total knob.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Tell me about! And he's become all very agressive about his form.

What he did on Ax-3 was insane. He put in a turn and dropped 3 GT winners then Froome took off. He looked about and then rode away from everyone else! Caught Quintana. Waited and then took off again.

That night in front of journalists he told others teams not to attack because he'll catch them all.

Next day he had his faux jour sans. ASO told Sky to tone it down.

Next up he set Walsh upon the fans getting tanked on d'Huez.

Richie has become a total knob.
dont think it was a faux jour sans. the hit sky, and hit them early, and before the tv coverage. it was porte left to close everything for froome. if he could have hidden in the peloton, he would have been fine. they were not expecting that.

obviously they forgot to do their marginal gains warmup.

ofcourse froome and porte are chemical creations

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
In a sport where the pro riders don't seen to have a very high average IQ, Porte stands out as a rider who is as thick as two short planks.

What did you expect from a bunch of Tasmanian's who procreate by rolling around in the hay with their cousins? :D

I can't help but have a good laugh at Porte all the time. He's a laugh a minute.

BTW who read his blog? Ripper, was it really as bad as you said on the latest article concerning Porte's Giro aspirations?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I was trying to find some of his old results. The best I could do was a Noosa triathlon from 2004, he wasn't a superstar triathlete I can guarantee that.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
I was trying to find some of his old results. The best I could do was a Noosa triathlon from 2004, he wasn't a superstar triathlete I can guarantee that.

Got a link for these results or will a quick google search bring them up?

If he wasn't even top level, elite as a junior, then he is nothing more than a pin cushion afterwards. The talent is ALWAYS there.

But like Durianrider said, maybe down in Tassie they don't measure the witches hats properly in the Coles carpark for their club level tri events and someone forgot to tell Richie that when he went to Noosa.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Got a link for these results or will a quick google search bring them up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lr8Y765ZfI (3rd Stage of Vuelta ciclismo a Madrid, 2010).

Ritchie took the points in the sprint at Bustarviejo, near the top of Alto Fuente Collado, and the mountain points for this Cat 3 climb (http://www.sitiodeciclismo.net/ritfiche.php?ritid=157697&wedstrijdvoorloopid=11107#first)

After that attack and a run of 10km down the valley to Miraflores and turning up Puerta Morcuera (9km, Cat 1 climb), he then finished 9:09 behind the winner.....

Considering he was in the team that was defending the leader's jersey, one would have expected MUCH more from him, based on the 2013 TdF performances.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
What we can now know about the tassie tree hugger is he will probably win a GT next year...all things being remain the same.

I've already touched on this. Under no circumstances is Richie Porte to be allowed to defile the Giro.

I don't care what has to be done...just stop him. If I have to head to Italy and do something myself, so be it. ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
What did you expect from a bunch of Tasmanian's who procreate by rolling around in the hay with their cousins? :D

I can't help but have a good laugh at Porte all the time. He's a laugh a minute.

BTW who read his blog? Ripper, was it really as bad as you said on the latest article concerning Porte's Giro aspirations?
huon salmon.

oily fish fish oils for cognitive function. makes a single digit IQ into a MIT physics major

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I've already touched on this. Under no circumstances is Richie Porte to be allowed to defile the Giro.

I don't care what has to be done...just stop him. If I have to head to Italy and do something myself, so be it. ;)
touched, defile, hmmm, sounds like richie is a jesuit preist

second coming of jesus post cancer jesus?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
GreasyMonkey said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lr8Y765ZfI (3rd Stage of Vuelta ciclismo a Madrid, 2010).

Ritchie took the points in the sprint at Bustarviejo, near the top of Alto Fuente Collado, and the mountain points for this Cat 3 climb (http://www.sitiodeciclismo.net/ritfiche.php?ritid=157697&wedstrijdvoorloopid=11107#first)

After that attack and a run of 10km down the valley to Miraflores and turning up Puerta Morcuera (9km, Cat 1 climb), he then finished 9:09 behind the winner.....

Considering he was in the team that was defending the leader's jersey, one would have expected MUCH more from him, based on the 2013 TdF performances.

I was reading that the other day.

Porte in 2010 was believable. 2012 arrives and the jump in performance is overkill.

Granted, he had a solid chrono in 2010. I will be fair regarding that. The rest? How do you have a gap on the chasers of a few minutes and then end up so far back it isn't funny. On a 7% (I think that is what I read the other day) 9km climb, given your 2012 form, you'd have it in the bag. Porte in 2010 loses so many minutes it isn't funny.

Nothing to see here people. Move along. Move along! :p

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I was reading that the other day.

Porte in 2010 was believable. 2012 arrives and the jump in performance is overkill.

Granted, he had a solid chrono in 2010. I will be fair regarding that. The rest? How do you have a gap on the chasers of a few minutes and then end up so far back it isn't funny. On a 7% (I think that is what I read the other day) 9km climb, given your 2012 form, you'd have it in the bag. Porte in 2010 loses so many minutes it isn't funny.

Nothing to see here people. Move along. Move along! :p
A-grader from Adelaide.

Chris Jongewaard. Mathew Rex

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
huon salmon.

oily fish fish oils for cognitive function. makes a single digit IQ into a MIT physics major

Hahaha. They should have run that during their TdF ads. I didn't watch a lot of the Tour, but that particular ad was painful.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Hahaha. They should have run that during their TdF ads. I didn't watch a lot of the Tour, but that particular ad was painful.
actually, i protest.

the domestiques lugging 2 feet salmon on their back, its one of those ads, the "so bad, its actually good".

on the richter scale of soooo bad, its pretty fricken bad. therefore, in my view, is good

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
touched, defile, hmmm, sounds like richie is a jesuit preist

second coming of jesus post cancer jesus?

I dunno. Maybe when he puts that improved IQ thanks to Huon Salmon to use, finds a way to clone the extinct Tasmanian Tiger and thus performs a miracle, he can claim that title.

Richie had a better palmares to Froome before Sky. They won't need to amend much to sell him as a GT rider. Heck, SBS in Australia will sell it for them. Poor Cadel is aging, naturally a new candidate to barrack for will arrive. Simple for them to sell...point to the 2010 Giro and hope people don't remember how it was raced and thus, a 7th or 8th on GC...whatever it was...won't matter. The EVIDENCE, or what they need to hear to believe will be there.

But another badzilla story would be AWESOME! Certainly fit the mold used by so many.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
actually, i protest.

the domestiques lugging 2 feet salmon on their back, its one of those ads, the "so bad, its actually good".

on the richter scale of soooo bad, its pretty fricken bad. therefore, in my view, is good

Okay. Was funny the first two times. Then it was just sad. They sounded pretty damn serious in the ad.

Maybe Richie would like a personal sponsor for next year. Strap a fish to his back and have him ride after his BFF Froome up some col in Europe talking about how he did the hard yards just like the fishermen do and how it's now his turn to reap the rewards.

Strike out at the sentimental heart of the average viewer. People will buy that. BTW any Sky advertisers...I want royalties if you borrow this idea. I know the folk Down Under would believe it. Enough of them anyway.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Galic Ho said:
Jongewaard did gaol time for running someone over didn't he?

Banned from the Olympics too because of it.

There's a great vid from a relatively recent Aussie MTB champs where Jongewaard grabs someone's handlebars and crashes them so he can get past.

Something tells me his subsequent interview was true, and he would do anything to get somewhere in cycling. Anything.

TRENDING THREADS