• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SeriousSam said:
You think Richie bluffed today and was close to collapsing? It didn't look like that at all but perhaps he's got as good a poker face as Quintana.

Actually, after sucking badly all year he'll destroy everyone ;) Not suspicious at all. Nope :rolleyes:

For some of the folks tripping over themselves thinking he can do really well, one has to wonder, do they understand the implications of doing really well.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
webvan said:
I think Richie was on his limit and like Horner said today, everyone climbs well on the first mountain finish and then things get sorted. These guys have enough training and ability to go into the red/pain to be able to battle through 1.8km...5.8km on Monday and it's going to be a different story.

Yeah things get sorted alright and 42 year old men come to the fore while everyone else weakens. Porte will be fine.

harchibald said:
Yeah things get sorted alright and 42 year old men come to the fore while everyone else weakens. Porte will be fine.

Just wait till he reloads on the rest day. Blast off baby, he'll be smiling while riding the peloton off his wheel. Of course, if he has a bad moment, like he sometimes does, he will be absolutely toasted. Time will tell.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Everyone remember WHY Porte got 7th at the Giro?

There is no doubt that Porte is a much better rider than he was then but over 3 weeks in the Tour, we will see. I think he is a chance to podium especially when you see who else is in contention. TJVG, Talansky Costa, VDB et al. Talansky will do better when he learns to handle a bike. The TT also looks like a good one for him. A lot of riders like Porte and Costa can win a Paris Nice or a TDS but that does not mean they can do the same in a GT.

movingtarget said:
There is no doubt that Porte is a much better rider than he was then but over 3 weeks in the Tour, we will see. I think he is a chance to podium especially when you see who else is in contention. TJVG, Talansky Costa, VDB et al. Talansky will do better when he learns to handle a bike. The TT also looks like a good one for him. A lot of riders like Porte and Costa can win a Paris Nice or a TDS but that does not mean they can do the same in a GT.

He will go well. Not sure how but he will.

2agl193.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
According to Gerraint Thomas, Richie is better suited to the longer passes....and Alberto and that are punchier riders and yesterdays stage was more suited to them....I look forward to Richie blowing the doors off everyone else on those big moutain passes.....:rolleyes:

thehog said:
He will go well. Not sure how but he will.

2agl193.jpg

3 wins in 3 years with 3 different riders is how! The British can grasp these sorts of numbers. SKY is under pressure from BT and without a soccer package they are perceived to be toast. Not sure the latter is actually true but the concern is there. On the road I was struck by just how British "SKY" is deemed to be by ordinary British people.

In any event, I sincerely hope Deputy Dawg delivers over the next week just for the sheer entertainment value.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
buckle said:
3 wins in 3 years with 3 different riders is how! The British can grasp these sorts of numbers. SKY is under pressure from BT and without a soccer package they are perceived to be toast. Not sure the latter is actually true but the concern is there. On the road I was struck by just how British "SKY" is deemed to be by ordinary British people.

In any event, I sincerely hope Deputy Dawg delivers over the next week just for the sheer entertainment value.

British cycling fans are questioning how British Sky are, especially now we have Brailsford talking about winning the Tour with a French rider. And if you think the cycling team is key to the organisations commercial future somehow, why don't they show the races?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
msjett said:
According to Gerraint Thomas, Richie is better suited to the longer passes....and Alberto and that are punchier riders and yesterdays stage was more suited to them....I look forward to Richie blowing the doors off everyone else on those big moutain passes.....:rolleyes:

He is right though, Porte isnt a very explosive rider so he did very good the other day on that short steep climb.

Richie to win le tour, you heard it here first ;)

JimmyFingers said:
British cycling fans are questioning how British Sky are, especially now we have Brailsford talking about winning the Tour with a French rider. And if you think the cycling team is key to the organisations commercial future somehow, why don't they show the races?

I guess it makes more sense to advertise on non-SKY channels. They have been pushing hard during the World Cup on ITV also. British broadcasting rights are a complex business because of OFCOM's listed and designated events clause. It's an interesting question though the subject of cycling TV rights. My understanding is that the Phil and Paul show is sold throughout the Anglo-Saxon World. In other words, Phil and Paul's words are what most of us hear first. It pays to keep them happy. There have been comments on these fora about business links between Lance and Ph & Pa - especially the latter.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I expect Porte to unplug his Power meter & do 4 hours ride prior to the stage:D

“He has quite a lot of experience of what it takes to win a GC without having done it. He has quite a lot of learning from that,” Dave Brailsford told journalists outside the Team Sky bus in Mulhouse.

“What we have experienced in the last few years is Chris riding with Bradley and learning a lot, then putting that to use himself. Then Richie has ridden for Froomey – and particularly last year, he rode ever so well for him – and you learn a lot from that."

Richie has looked so much at Froomes power meter, and he knows how much we have been juicing him up on Tenerife. He has learned quite a lot from that and is ready to do the same himself.

the sceptic said:
Richie has looked so much at Froomes power meter, and he knows how much we have been juicing him up on Tenerife. He has learned quite a lot from that and is ready to do the same himself.

Monday will tell us all we need to know about Porte. Let's see.

He should be about TVG level but if he is jousting with Contador I will stick my own fingers down my throat and throw up on myself.

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
thehog said:

He should be about TVG level but if he is jousting with Contador I will stick my own fingers down my throat and throw up on myself.

You'll be surprised. Dawg Jr. is preparing for the next Walsh biography.

21bjeyd.jpg

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

Well, RR has already assured us he is clean after looking him in the eye, so I wouldnt worry too much.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:

He's going to drop Nibali, perhaps even Contador.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
He's going to drop Nibali, perhaps even Contador.

Nibali will be a non factor by the end of this race. Contador and Porte will fight it out and one suspects given how they are there'll be no staring at the power metre to keep the effort level human. Should be fun to see the level they reach.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
the sceptic said:
Well I dont remember the exact wording but the wibe seemed to be "I met up with Porte to ask him the tough questions, and he didnt blink"

This :

Race Radio said:
I had lunch with Richie last week. I would be the last person a doper would want to hang out with.

I found him very open, direct, and confident. He was clearly very passionate about the sport and his team. I asked a lot of questions and he gave me very direct, non-evasive, answers. I have had the same discussion with dozens of riders over the years but few have been as direct as Richie.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
And this:

Miburo said:
Which questions? did you bring up leinders?

Race Radio said:
I absolutely brought up Leinders and he addressed it very directly. He did not toss him under the bus, pretend he did not know him, as is often the case with someone with something to hide. He said that Leinders was a good man, something I have heard often, and that he never suggested any doping.

I have always had the position that hiring Leinders was a mistake as it showed they had not done their due diligence.....But Leinders is not the guy you hire to run ultra-sophisticated modern doping program.

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Well I dont remember the exact wording but the wibe seemed to be "I met up with Porte to ask him the tough questions, and he didnt blink"

Neither did you know who.
Anyway, he's a very smart, crafty fellow ... and yes, he is.

TRENDING THREADS