• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Nice performance of Porte today. To sad it's premature. Come TdF and Porte will do as usual.

At the same time, Valverde flying on ITT is a mockery for anti doping. Better now allegedly clean than on 06, Cycling is a complete farce.

Re:

Felice Gimondi said:
Nice performance of Porte today. To sad it's premature. Come TdF and Porte will do as usual.

At the same time, Valverde flying on ITT is a mockery for anti doping. Better now allegedly clean than on 06, Cycling is a complete farce.
m

We didn't see Porte's "usual" bad day in last year's Tour. The way he is riding this season a bad day is looking even less likely. He is kind of thin so maybe his biggest risk is getting sick in the 3rd week of the Tour.

Porte is arguably the only rider physically who can live with a 2012-2016 level Froome. But for bad luck he would have finished 2nd in last years tour but he is always prone to losing time in unusual fashion in a 3 week tour. He also lacks the ruthlessness of Froome.

However he does seem to have ramped it up again another level this season and he is probably favourite to win the Dauphine and definitely a contender for the tour now. I do not trust his ability to last the 3 weeks though, podium possibly but not the most likely winner.....at least not yet.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
Felice Gimondi said:

m

We didn't see Porte's "usual" bad day in last year's Tour. The way he is riding this season a bad day is looking even less likely. He is kind of thin so maybe his biggest risk is getting sick in the 3rd week of the Tour.

Fair enough, but he still has to cope with being the single captain and that may be to much. Riding in shadows or equal of someone else tends to be easier.

TourOfSardinia said:
Benotti69 said:
Does the ASO prefer another antipodean winner of Le Tour?

ASO might find Sky too toxic at present.

Could be LRPs year.
my thoughts too
but LPR is holding form for 6 months now
so something may misfire on the way to the Champs-Élysées

How long did Evans hold form in 2011? How long did Wiggins hold form in 2012? Yes he might well misfire but if Porte can hold this form next month there are plenty of precedents. It is unlikely Porte tapered for the Dauphine so he could actually be a little stronger next month. Benotti might be right ;)

Evans, really? He wasn't dominant in any race that year, unlike Porte. Surreal if you think this is comparable to what Porte is showing this week:

ilwmnI9.png

And remember, Porte has been flying since *January*.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
He hasn't raced much though. Warm up race in Australia and PN, Romandie and now the Dauphine. That he's been the strongest climber in each of those is indicative of a very high base level

I'm sure he hasn't even done any intensity training yet. Just slowly building towards a super peak at the Tour.

Re:

Netserk said:
Evans, really? He wasn't dominant in any race that year, unlike Porte. Surreal if you think this is comparable to what Porte is showing this week:

ilwmnI9.png

Nobody is top form at TDU in January so that doesn't count for much. I was thinking of TA (March) and Romandie (April) that Evans won. Yes at the Dauphine Evans was a little lower. Who knows maybe Porte has burnt his candles too early. But I agree Evans was not "dominant" like we see now. Porte logically would be better this season with uninterrupted prep and more confidence after how he rode in last years Tour. There is also Wiggins in 2012 I thought he would fall over in the Tour never happened. We will soon see.

Cookster15 said:
Netserk said:

ilwmnI9.png

Nobody is top form at TDU in January so that doesn't count for much.
I was thinking of TA (March) and Romandie (April) that Evans won. Yes at the Dauphine Evans was a little lower. Who knows maybe Porte has burnt his candles too early. But I agree Evans was not "dominant" like we see now. Porte logically would be better this season with uninterrupted prep and more confidence after how he rode in last years Tour. There is also Wiggins in 2012 I thought he would fall over in the Tour never happened. We will soon see.
Lol, he was supersonic there. He flew away from the others and made YUUUUGE gaps on quite small climbs. Out of this world.

http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/01/full-nuclear-porte-on-willunga-hill.html

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/822699358382657536

Netserk said:
Cookster15 said:
Netserk said:

ilwmnI9.png

Nobody is top form at TDU in January so that doesn't count for much.
I was thinking of TA (March) and Romandie (April) that Evans won. Yes at the Dauphine Evans was a little lower. Who knows maybe Porte has burnt his candles too early. But I agree Evans was not "dominant" like we see now. Porte logically would be better this season with uninterrupted prep and more confidence after how he rode in last years Tour. There is also Wiggins in 2012 I thought he would fall over in the Tour never happened. We will soon see.
Lol, he was supersonic there. He flew away from the others and made YUUUUGE gaps on quite small climbs. Out of this world.

http://www.climbing-records.com/2017/01/full-nuclear-porte-on-willunga-hill.html

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/822699358382657536

Thanks for the links :surprised: . I do note he was only 7 seconds slower on Willunga last year and rode a strong Tour in July. I think based upon what we are seeing now there is still a strong case he hasn't burnt his matches too early especially as his racing days are down. Yes I am wary but we will see.

Unlike this year, he had a relatively mediocre spring last year. He has definitely raised his game, so I don't think one should compare him with last year. I think he'll be better in the Tour this July than last year, right up there, which to get to the point really is suspicious. If he delivers in July, this is a mutant season.

TRENDING THREADS