• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 136 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Netserk said:
Evans, really? He wasn't dominant in any race that year, unlike Porte. Surreal if you think this is comparable to what Porte is showing this week:

ilwmnI9.png

And remember, Porte has been flying since *January*.

Porte hasn't been that dominant in his wins. TDU meh ! Romandie wins on the final stage TT against Yates ! Paris- Nice he wins one stage by 21 seconds after GC was no longer possible. Dauphine was of a case of Froome, Valverde and Contador being off their best. Fuglsang won the race ! No better than what Evans and Wiggins have done really with a couple of stages where he out climbed his opposition which he has done before. This is pretty much normal Porte for one week races, it's what happens from now on that matters. Wiggins won three stage races before the Tour and Evans won against a high quality Tirreno field also at Romandie and a podium in the Dauphine and all three of them won courtesy of consistency and good TTs and Porte did well on two mountain stages which is not uncommon for him anyway. Froome is the one who has been off his game but he looked better towards the end of the Dauphine. Valverde had a busy early season and Contador is nearing retirement and it's never easy to predict what he is going to do. The big question for Porte is how long he can hold his current form ? I don't hear many people discussing the form of 32 year old Fuglsang and his unusual success, be interesting to see what he does in the Tour.

Re: Re:

Cookster15 said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Benotti69 said:
Does the ASO prefer another antipodean winner of Le Tour?

ASO might find Sky too toxic at present.

Could be LRPs year.
my thoughts too
but LPR is holding form for 6 months now
so something may misfire on the way to the Champs-Élysées

How long did Evans hold form in 2011? How long did Wiggins hold form in 2012? Yes he might well misfire but if Porte can hold this form next month there are plenty of precedents. It is unlikely Porte tapered for the Dauphine so he could actually be a little stronger next month. Benotti might be right ;)
Don't forget the best of them, Chris Froome himself in 2013 ... Won Oman, the MTF in Tirreno, Criterium International, Romandie, Dauphine and the Tour. All in pretty dominant fashion. Porte even came second in two of those races.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Richie Porte telling medics he was "ok". A broken pelvis and broken collarbone is ok. Wonder what kind of PEDs means you cant feel a broken pelvis and collarbone!!!!

May 26, 2010
Visit site

MarkvW said:
Benotti69 said:
Richie Porte telling medics he was "ok". A broken pelvis and broken collarbone is ok. Wonder what kind of PEDs means you cant feel a broken pelvis and collarbone!!!!

It's very good he's not paralyzed. That was one serious crash.

I am not happy he is hurt, just find it weird he told medics he was "ok" when it clearly proved he wasn't.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

I think this is going a bit too far. I am not necessarily doubting him being doped, but suggesting he's not feeling any pain (which is very debatable to begin with) because of PED's is a head scratcher for me. Maybe he was feeling a TON of pain but wanted to downplay it. Or he wasn't feeling pain because of adrenaline. Or he was massively disappointed to end his tour so his head was preoccupied with that. Or something else.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

Oh come on. Sifting through the tea leaves of what a guy says when he's just smacked headfirst into the side of a mountain at 70 km/h to insinuate doping is a new low.

Besides, if you've ever been properly hurt you'd know adrenaline is a ridiculous thing. I crashed once and went headfirst over the bike and landed on my elbow. I got straight back on and only pulled over after a km or so. I wouldn't have even gone to hospital except a taxi driver saw me walking with the bike hunched over holding my arm and basically made me go. Turned out I'd broken the end off my ulna and two chunks off my humerus in a clean y-fracture. So the three bones of my arm had become six independent chunks. But it took me a full minute to even feel sore.

BullsFan22 said:
Benotti69 said:

I think this is going a bit too far. I am not necessarily doubting him being doped, but suggesting he's not feeling any pain (which is very debatable to begin with) because of PED's is a head scratcher for me. Maybe he was feeling a TON of pain but wanted to downplay it. Or he wasn't feeling pain because of adrenaline. Or he was massively disappointed to end his tour so his head was preoccupied with that. Or something else.

CLASSIC S-H-O-C-K

Benotti69 said:
MarkvW said:
Benotti69 said:

I am not happy he is hurt, just find it weird he told medics he was "ok" when it clearly proved he wasn't.

Clearly you haven't ridden a bike nor crashed. I've seen guys ride home after a serious smash up on pure adrenaline to find out the next day they have broken ribs and wrist. I smashed up my face once, it looked fine. Kept on riding, next day, two massive black eyes.

Benotti69 said:
MarkvW said:
Benotti69 said:

Well clearly this just proves he's a liar who lies about everything.

Is this really for real? I mean, come on, you have never had a spill and told people you were fine even though you hurt all over? Ever?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sure to the above. I have never ridden my bike in the Le Tour crashed and told medics i am fine.....FRO.

Maybe part of the make up of these guys is a la Tom Simpson, "put me back on my bike"....

I called Richie a liar? Really for real? I mean really? For real?

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

boltzmann said:
Richie Porte has gained 20 kg (45 pounds) after the crash. If he's back as a tour contender in 2018, I think he's officially on the juice. Everyone that's tried to lose significant amount of weight on a short time at the same time as trying to increase power, knows that's impossible without some extra help.
If it's even remotely true then he's done. That much weight comes with hormonal changes that will take a very long time to bring back to race shape. He's 32 which means he's at his potential peak or just past it. Combined with his injuries, I'm guessing he'll have a miserable season or maybe two before he quits.

John Swanson

ScienceIsCool said:
boltzmann said:
Richie Porte has gained 20 kg (45 pounds) after the crash. If he's back as a tour contender in 2018, I think he's officially on the juice. Everyone that's tried to lose significant amount of weight on a short time at the same time as trying to increase power, knows that's impossible without some extra help.
If it's even remotely true then he's done. That much weight comes with hormonal changes that will take a very long time to bring back to race shape. He's 32 which means he's at his potential peak or just past it. Combined with his injuries, I'm guessing he'll have a miserable season or maybe two before he quits.

John Swanson
Porte’s probably exaggerating, he’s posted photos of himself training. His wife also gave birth this week too.

The original article from Herald Sun (which feltet.dk is quoting) states that he went from 59 to 68 (-ish) kgs - not 78, as was stated in the feltet.dk article. That makes it somewhat more believeable, I guess.

"Porte put on more than 10kg inside a month, but makes no apologies in the belief it’s not just the legs that benefit from a break.

“I got out to 68kg, probably even more to be honest. I left the Tour at just under 59kg,” he said.

For aanyone interested; http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/aussie-tour-de-france-contender-richie-porte-says-hes-more-hungry-than-ever-as-he-recovers-from-terrifying-crash/news-story/906bb8b0d78130c830e5d53f6d0a3784

TRENDING THREADS