• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rick Crawford

According to Leipheimer's testimony, combined with the identification thread, it seems that Rick Crawford was the first to put Leipheimer on a doping program. And on Wikipedia I find this:

"Crawford started his coaching career guiding a young Lance Armstrong through his first paces as a professional triathlete."

Could it be that he did the same for/to Lance? Was Lance introduced to EPO by Crawford? Or did Lance introduce EPO to Crawford? Did Vaughters know about this? Is this why Rick stopped as Director of Team Chipotle?

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Interesting article on front page bout RC today. Who was the shadow Fort Lewis rider supplied with test? My guess is Anthony Colby or maybe Dan Bowman who both went on to decent domestic careers after time at FLC. Just a guess though although I know these guys personally. Rick is a really bright guy, but is clearly still lying. He's also responsible for the rise to Tommy D at the same time; doubt that was clean. What about Todd Wells? Who else did this guy coach? His business was blowing up at the time as I recall.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
USA Cycling needs to die.

More confessions long after they would have been useful. Yada yada yada.

Another shred of evidence that this sport, at least in the US, is full of selfish ******bags who are fed by their own narcissism.

Take USA Cycling - there is no representative body is sport that has done LESS for its sport than USA Cycling (at least for road and track) which is why any american rider with any sense rides off-road or cross.

This is visible at all levels - state, regional, and national, where its always an in-crowd of jerks who don't really want the sport to grow because that would erode their power base. Contrast this with *any* *other* *youth* *sport* where you have development, coaches and parents who sacrifice endless hours to support youngsters.

USA Cycling needs to die.

Aapjes said:
According to Leipheimer's testimony, combined with the identification thread, it seems that Rick Crawford was the first to put Leipheimer on a doping program. And on Wikipedia I find this:

"Crawford started his coaching career guiding a young Lance Armstrong through his first paces as a professional triathlete."

Could it be that he did the same for/to Lance? Was Lance introduced to EPO by Crawford? Or did Lance introduce EPO to Crawford? Did Vaughters know about this? Is this why Rick stopped as Director of Team Chipotle?
I interpreted the CN article as Crawford turning a blind eye to what LA may have been doing. He didn't say that he wasn't doping, just that he wasn't the one providing him with products.

My guess is that it was the same with Danielson - by the time he was working with Crawford he knew his way around that side of things and Crawford only needed to coach.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
My guess is that it was the same with Danielson - by the time he was working with Crawford he knew his way around that side of things and Crawford only needed to coach.

Danielson, was terrible before he was working with Crawford! Guy could rarely finish a race. He was barely mid-pack at the NORBAs, then over the course of a year or so was transformed into a world class climber.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Rick Crawford coached Chris Wherry to the 2006 U.S. Pro Championship. Anyone remember raceclean.org? That blog had some tidbits on him.

Rip:30 said:
Danielson, was terrible before he was working with Crawford! Guy could rarely finish a race. He was barely mid-pack at the NORBAs, then over the course of a year or so was transformed into a world class climber.
Didn't realise that, wasn't following the US domestic scene at the time. I assumed that he already had exposure.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Do you think it was his awesome coaching skills, or medical skills?

IDK, probably some of both, just like with all these guys Ferrari Bruyneel, etc. To be fair TD always seemed to have some talent that showed through as a junior-but so did dozens of other guys. As an elite XC mtnbiker through age 23 he was mid pack, until working with RC at FLC where he won collegiate mtn bike nats at age 23 after a crap year on the pro circuit. Next year he somehow moved up rapidly to world class climber on the road at age 24. To me that's an unusual trajectory, but Rick seems perhaps unwilling to tell everything about his methods at least for now.

Rip:30 said:
IDK, probably some of both, just like with all these guys Ferrari Bruyneel, etc. To be fair TD always seemed to have some talent that showed through as a junior-but so did dozens of other guys. As an elite XC mtnbiker through age 23 he was mid pack, until working with RC at FLC where he won collegiate mtn bike nats at age 23 after a crap year on the pro circuit. Next year he somehow moved up rapidly to world class climber on the road at age 24. To me that's an unusual trajectory, but Rick seems perhaps unwilling to tell everything about his methods at least for now.

2003 looks pretty dodgy then.

Zam_Olyas said:
Hearing his name always reminded me of this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Maybe he was singing "never gonna give you up,
never gonna let you down ....we know the game and we're gonna play it
and if you ask me how I'm feeling
don't tell me you're too blind to see"

Rick Crawford is caught in USADA's RD "confession" spiel.

I wanna see action. Broad action. Quickly.

I dunno.

Maybe Rick has told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

But to jump from no involvement with PEDs to running EPO across the border, and then never having any further involvement, seems like a stretch.

To have no involvement with other PEDs with two athletes known to have enjoyed a cornucopia also seems a bit of a stretch. Both of these guys tested positive for other drugs. And, in Bottle's case, this was very early on in his career indicating extensive PED involvement for years before the Crawford smuggling.

That in O'Bee's case there was a positive Testosterone test the same year that Crawford admits to smuggling EPO stretches things a bit more.

Then, to have only had involvement with one drug and two athletes, when all had obvious associations with Lance as well as with other teammates - and where at least one of the two was later known to be have extensively discussed numerous PEDs for an extended timeframe with his teammates (including Ellis Toussier, Kirk Ditterich, gold medalist Marty Nothstein, Nathan O'Neill, etc.) - gives a further stretch.

There hasn't been this much stretching since Reed Richards got bombarded with cosmic radiation and turned into Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four.

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Scott Mercier had Crawford's number and he seems pretty peed off about it.

Even when people have nowt left to lose they still wont disclose the whole truth.

Things that don't make any sense:

- Border runs for only 2 guys? No plans to expand the business? And you pretty much knew they would leave you if they signed for a Euro team. And O'Bee never could have had all that much $$$ to pay. You take all that risk for a piece of his crit primes?

- Danielson undergoing his miraculous transformation while Crawford is doping Levi and O'bee. But TD....clean all the way! Okkkk

- Ft Lewis College going from regular old college cycling team to unstoppable national powerhouse also during this time.

- Blood spinners and crazy supplements, but not the peds you brought back from Mexico?

From the other Crawford thread:

Shonny Vanlandingham and Jamie Whitmore earned XTERRA world championships under Crawford’s tutelage.
Willow Koerber credits Crawford for rescuing her career and taking her to the top of the world MTB rankings.
Tom Danielson continues to improve under Crawford’s watchful care.
Olympic Biathlon twins Lanny and Tracy Barnes are now working directly with Crawford.
Obee mentioned as doped by Crawford in the other thread.
-from Tom Danielson's USADA affidavit 15. My collegiate cycling coach was Rick Crawford. So, now the question is was he dealing as a collegiate cycling coach? Suddenly TD's affadavit is more strategic lies of omission.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=1088945&postcount=12

The old thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=19450

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
From the other Crawford thread:

Shonny Vanlandingham and Jamie Whitmore earned XTERRA world championships under Crawford’s tutelage.
Willow Koerber credits Crawford for rescuing her career and taking her to the top of the world MTB rankings.
Tom Danielson continues to improve under Crawford’s watchful care.
Olympic Biathlon twins Lanny and Tracy Barnes are now working directly with Crawford.
Obee mentioned as doped by Crawford in the other thread.
-from Tom Danielson's USADA affidavit 15. My collegiate cycling coach was Rick Crawford. So, now the question is was he dealing as a collegiate cycling coach? Suddenly TD's affadavit is more strategic lies of omission.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=1088945&postcount=12

The old thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=19450

A couple of "I know one when I see one" dopers in that list, certainly.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Sorry. The politically correct description is 'ozone treatment'.

Dave.
yeah, where is doc Anthony(anthony innit?) Galea? Tiger Woods doc

Dr Anthony Galea he is one'a yours isnt he? one, wunna, won?

Tiger Woods doc crossing borders with his bag full of hgh, from Vancouver or Quebec or Toronto or Waterloo. dodgey as Ferrari.

But its Tiger, and not A-Rod in Flo-rida. So Tiger gets a pass to whack a golf ball.

No wonder all his tendons in his knees go kaput.
serves himself right

Tiger, less the pit bull junkyard, and more the meta into vanity fair.
TIGER-WOODS-SHIRTLESS-VANITY-FAIR.jpg

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
As recently as a few weeks ago Rick was working at Tom Danielson's training camp in Tucson. That raises a few flags. There are a lot of other people who don't a have a doping past who could do Rick's job if all he is doing is helping the campers.