• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider nicknames

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ak-zaaf said:
bitossi: the crazy heart

Yeah, the guy who suffered from extrasystoles. Great champion, I like him.

Kevin Pauwels: De stille van Kalmthout (The Silent of Kalmthout)
Zdenek Stybar: Styby
Radomir Simunek: Simunka

(Sven Nys: The Cannibal of Baal, but for me there'll allways be only one Cannibal)

Some oldies:

Cyriel Van Houwaert: De Leeuw van Vlaanderen (Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, please - Given by Karel van Wynendaele)
Rik Van Steenbergen: The Boss (same as for Van Houwaert - his nickname during the Six-Days)
Felice Gimondi : The Phenix
Francesco Moser : The Sheriff
Edwig Van Hooydonck: Eddy Bosberg - De Lange van Wuustwezel
Joseph Bruyère: The White Blackbird (given by Théo Mathy - Le merle blanc, in French)
Stephen Roche: The Easter Bell
Briek Schotte: The Last of the Flandrians (in his later days)
Frans Verbeeck: The Flying Milkman
Raymond Impanis : The Baker of Berg
Hennie Stamsnijder (& his kids): Stammie
Berten van Damme: The Lion of Laarne
Gino Bartali: The Lion of Tuscany (among others)
Fiorenzo Magni: The Colossus of Monza (renamed The Tuscan of Flanders after his hattrick)
Walter Godefroot and Gaston Rebry: The Bulldog of Flanders
Raphaël Géminiani: The Old Rifle
Lucien van Impe: The Marmoset of the Tops
Federico Bahamontes: The Eagle of Toledo
Stan Ockers : The Sly
Herman van Springel: Buster Keaton
Michel Pollentier: Fly thighs (or Peer Pollentier:D)

Poulidor is the eternal second? He finished 3rd more often than 2nd. :rolleyes:

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Echoes said:
Some oldies:

Francesco Moser : The Sheriff
Fiorenzo Magni: The Colossus of Monza (renamed The Tuscan of Flanders after his hattrick)

As you guys seems to like to write in the homecountry nicks;

Francesco Moser : Lo Sceriffo
Fiorenzo Magni : Il Leone delle Fiandre (this is how he is called in Italy)

Cancellara = Spartacus

Also Cookie Monster :)

Michael Boogerd: Piranha (remember the teeth?), Boogieman
Jan Ullrich: Ulle, Kaiser, El Gordo
Vino & Kashechkin: Blood Brothers
Kashechkin: Cash
Levi Leipheimer: Baby Lance
(OK, I invented this one, but they really look alike)

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Ciapucci called himself El Diablo, but he had another one from the peloton and I cannot seem to find it on the interwebs or access that ROM in my brain. It was a negative reference for the idiotic way he attacked just about anywhere...speed bumps, feed zones, neutralized starts, you name it.

Anyone remember?

The Gadfly I think. Defined as:

1. A persistent irritating critic; a nuisance.
2. One that acts as a provocative stimulus; a goad.
3. Any of various flies, especially of the family Tabanidae, that bite or annoy livestock and other animals.

Michele said:
As you guys seems to like to write in the homecountry nicks;

I tried to mention them in English, though.

42x16ss said:
2nd in the Tour behind Merckx, third in the classics behind Merckx and De Vlaeminck

Poulidor's most important 2nd places:

4 Days of Dunkirk 1962
Tour of France 1964 (but screwed over by Anquetil, his teammates and allied, should have won)
Milan Sanremo 1964
Tour of France 1965
Tour of Spain 1965
Paris-Nice 1966 (but again screwed over by Anquetil and his teammates, should have won)
Paris-Nice 1969
Nations GP 1969
Walloon Arrow 1972 (because De Vlaeminck preferred watching a football match between Mechelen and Antwerp)
Tour of France 1974
Worlds 1974
Paris-Tours (Tours-Versailles) 1976

12 second places

3rd places:

Worlds 1961
Tour of France 1962
Paris-Tours 1963
Worlds 1964
Nations GP 1965
Tour of France 1966
Worlds 1966 (Thanks Aimar and Anquetil)
Lombardy 1966
Lombardy 1967
Liège Bastogne Liège 1968
4 Days of Dunkirk 1968
Tour of France 1969
Tour of France 1972
Tour of France 1976

14 third places.

Poulidor is thus the eternal 3rd, not second. :rolleyes:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Mine Spanish isn't great, but I think "El Chaba" is a slang term that means something akin to some sort of wild cat, or animal, or "wild one". Can anyone help?

One of his grandfathers was known in his pueblo as 'el chabacano'. Chabacano is a word with several meanings, none of them possitive: tasteless, coarse or rude. No slang and no link to animals.

Chaba is just a short form. He preferred to write it with 'v' instead of 'b' (these letters sound the same in Spanish) to avoid negative connotations. This is the way it is written in the street he has with his name in his pueblo, where the cycling school and sports foundation dating from 1984 is placed.

http://www.elbarraco.org/deportes/deportes.html

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Some german nicks (or at least nicks that i've heard at least once)

Jan Ullrich - Ulle, Der Kaiser
Erik Zabel - Ete
Heinrich Haussler - Heini, Heino
Linus Gerdemann - Linux
Alessandro Petacchi - Ale Jet
Andreas Klöden - Klödi, Hilde
Jens Voigt - Voigte
Lance Armstrong - Tourminator
Franco Pellizotti - Pellizottel ("zottel" means something like scraggly in german)
Andy Schleck - Baby Schleck
Ivan Basso - Babyface
Alberto Contador - Knallberto ("knall" means "bang" or some other loud noise, so i guess the origin is the pistolero-thing)

Chris Sutton is called CJ or Sutto like his dad and uncle
Baden Cooke is Cookie
Graham Brown is Brownie

Generally for Aussie riders just shorted their surname and add an 'O' or an 'IE', keeps things simple.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
speaking of Aussies - 6 pages in and as yet no:

pocket rocket - Robbie McEwen
dodger - Mick Rogers
skippy - Phil Anderson (Kennf1 had the hide to call him "kangaroo"!)
stuey/one lap wonder/freckles/spotted leopard - O'Grady

mind you it took 6 pages to get der Kaiser and Ete up so perhaps the German fans are really deserting cycling - and we haven't got to beloved patriot Greipel yet!

Hey! Newb just popping in to post some more cool nicknames (sorry if I'm breaking any rules...)

Chris Anker Sørensen: The Ox (Calf) from Hammel!
Jacob Fuglsang: Fuglen (something I read Chris Anker refer to him as on his blog, fuglen means "the bird". Fuglsang means "birdsong" but I've pretty much decided just to call him Birdie...)

And... the coolest!

Tony Martin: Panzerwagen Tony!

RedheadDane said:
Tony Martin: Panzerwagen Tony!

That is cool.. "The Panzerwagen"... nice.

Continuing the war theme, The Messerschmitt and The Spitfire would also be good. I vote Peter Kennaugh as The Spitfire. Any good, young, and ideally tall/strong Germans coming through who can be Das Messerschmitt? A young Ullrich would have been ideal.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:

dodger - Mick Rogers

mind you it took 6 pages to get der Kaiser and Ete up so perhaps the German fans are really deserting cycling - and we haven't got to beloved patriot Greipel yet!
spotted leopard what the.......?

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:

Continuing the war theme, The Messerschmitt and The Spitfire would also be good. I vote Peter Kennaugh as The Spitfire. Any good, young, and ideally tall/strong Germans coming through who can be Das Messerschmitt? A young Ullrich would have been ideal.

I saw somewhere Jen "das Moped" Voigt - OK hardly gonna win a war with one of them but then Jensi himself is a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:

dodger - Mick Rogers

Andre "The Gorilla" Greipel.

Roland Rat said:

Yup Panzerwagen definitely is cool! According to Brian Holm it's something they call him (Tony) because he just keeps going!

And please don't call riders Messerschmitt! It sounds an awfull lot like Messerschmidt, a Danish polician...

TRENDING THREADS