• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rider schedules and targets for 2022

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quintana will ride

Mallorca Challenge
Tour de la Provence
Paris-Nice
Catalunya

Tour de France as big target, but also hopes that his team will get a Wildcard for the Giro, that he could also ride there..

So he will spend January to April in Europe with the team.

But he said already 100% of his focus for 2022 is on TDF gc. Strange that he now wants a giro wildcard.

Whatever happens, I wish Nairoman and his team all the best and a strong season. He deserve it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So he will spend January to April in Europe with the team.

But he said already 100% of his focus for 2022 is on TDF gc. Strange that he now wants a giro wildcard.

Whatever happens, I wish Nairoman and his team all the best and a strong season. He deserve it.
Well I think it´s a bit of a dilemma for him. He has to say that he will ride and target the tour, otherwise Arkea´s wildcard for the tour gets in danger.

Deep inside I think that Quintana would like to target the giro more than the tour, because there he will have a better chance for a good placing..

Quintana will ride

Mallorca Challenge
Tour de la Provence
Paris-Nice
Catalunya

Tour de France as big target, but also hopes that his team will get a Wildcard for the Giro, that he could also ride there..

If what Diego Rosa has said is true the team did them dirty last year, they told them that riding the Giro was a sure thing, so he and a few others prepared for it only for them not to get a wildcard.

I am surprised to see Colbrelli going to the Giro instead of the Tour as he could be one of the main contenders for the green jersey there.
He is Italian. Giro stage 1 suits him, he can wear the maglia.

And going giro doesn't rule out tour. It's easier to do both if you're sprinter typre rider. Just depend on Bahrain, because they have a lot of strong riders contending selection

Copeland confirms Simon Yates will ride the Giro to win it in 2022. He might also do the Tour, depending on his shape, but only as a stage hunter.
Copeland also says they will test Sobrero in one week stage races.

The only good thing about that article is testing out Sobrero in one week stage races - They really need to shake up the program - I'll also add that of the six Aussie riders who returned home last year to do the mandatory 14 day quarantine only one performed up to expectations - So the excuse of not returning home doesn't pass the pub test.

Well I think it´s a bit of a dilemma for him. He has to say that he will ride and target the tour, otherwise Arkea´s wildcard for the tour gets in danger.

Deep inside I think that Quintana would like to target the giro more than the tour, because there he will have a better chance for a good placing..
Yeah with the very low ITT distance this years Giro route is his best chance to resurrect himself as a podium contender in Grand Tours.

It seems that Pidcock will ride the giro next year.

Before that he will target the spring classics like this year. He will not ride the tour or the vuelta afterwards and will instead also ride mountain bike races in autumn.

I think, it´s a good schedule for the beginning of the season, although it could be that he will not be in top condition at the giro anymore, if he already tries to be in top shape for the whole spring.

Astana:
Lutsenko to the Tour, MAL to the Giro, De la Cruz to the Giro as a domestique and to the Vuelta as a protected gc rider. No news about Nibali, but he says he already has a pretty good idea.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...-angel-lopez-alexey-lutsenko-david-de-la-cruz

Giro for MAL seems a good decision with very few TT kilometers at the giro. In top form he will be a podium contender there (if he doesnt´decide to make stupid things during the race) From this it follows, that Nibali will not be the sole leader at the giro this year. Earlier he said, that he wants to ride the giro and I think that he still wants to do that. So only co-leadership or free role will be available for him.

In the article the schedules for Lutsenko and De la Cruz are already pretty detailed:
Lutsenko: Tour de la Provence, Ruta del Sol, Andalucia, Ardennes Classics, Dauphine, Tour de France (perhaps Gravel Championship)
De la Cruz: Valencia, UAE, Paris-Nice, Giro (supporting role), Vuelta (as leader)

TRENDING THREADS