• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riders with style, class, souplesse

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
barmaher said:
I don't particularly like the personality of these two cyclists, but I don't think you can deny that they are among the most stylish on a bike in the past 30 years.

Fabian Cancellara

0142506450085.jpg

Check this video out -----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA03vSHPBJo
The way he takes the corners is breathtaking.
And for panache, check out this sprint ------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJNLMYpr2TM

And Stephen Roche

This guy was one of the most effortless cyclists in the 80s. But he could also absolutely bury himself if there was a prize on the line.
roche1.jpg

Is it my imagination or is he much leaner now than back then? (Cancellara)

Le farfadet de la lande Bretonne, Jean Robic.
1952,%20Jean%20Robic,%20Mount%20Ventoux.jpg

Robic_1948tdf.jpg

He was astute at exploiting rules. He collected lead filled drinking bottles at the top of major climbs because his lightness led to his descending mountains slower than he wanted. When the organisers forbade filling bottles with solids, he filled his with mercury instead. He bragged of his talent, once dismissing Gino Bartali and saying of the other leading Italian that he had " a Fausto Coppi in each leg"—meaning he was twice as good.

A fellow professional, André Mahé, said in Procycling in 2007 that Robic's personality and self-importance was such that he would stand in the doorway of a restaurant until all the diners had noticed him and then announce:

"Oui! C'est moi—Robic!"

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You kids...

red_flanders said:
Souplesse is the perfect storm of Looking Pro; harmony between grace and power, casual and deliberate. It speaks of the entire organism, the perfectly manicured machine together with the perfectly refined position and technique of its rider.

May I present:

be91d40b9dd216f59c1b278cabcc4f54.wix_mp_1024

major-on-the-boards.jpg

consani.jpg

Paris2.jpg

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
BetancurAttack-620x412.jpg

Betancur looks just effortless, even more than Schleck IMO. Just needs to have some form.
wanted to post this, but I was worried about humor and stuff...
He looks really smooth when climbing

btw I dont think Merckx style was special, not really nice

When the topic starter asks about souplesse (panache is something very different in my opinion), and riders are mentioned like Vinokourov, Froome, Dan Martin, etc., then it's clear that it's not clear what souplesse is all about. It isn't about winning, it isn't about character, it's about making bike riding look easy, it's about cyclists that always look comfortable on a bike, that seemingly effortlessly fly by. Such riders never 'grind', they never huff and puff. On the contrary, they sometimes give the impression they're not giving it their all, that they could try harder.

VDB is a good example I think, others like Andy Schleck too (though I don't know much about the older riders). Basso in his younger days was this as well. Perhaps Tony Martin fits the bill too, like he was riding in that TdF stage he won: he made it seem easy.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
BigMac said:
Le farfadet de la lande Bretonne, Jean Robic.
1952,%20Jean%20Robic,%20Mount%20Ventoux.jpg

Robic_1948tdf.jpg

After recording the 2008 Tour de France to show my mom the race as it rode through her home town in Brittany, she started to reminisce of the good old days growing up and her love of the Tour de France. She was particularly focused on Jean Robic. I think it was a combination of his being Breton and him winning the first race after the war.

barmaher said:
I don't particularly like the personality of these two cyclists, but I don't think you can deny that they are among the most stylish on a bike in the past 30 years.

Fabian Cancellara

0142506450085.jpg

Just a shame he doesn't use that particular style more often. Looks very smooth!

T-Nielsen said:
He does not dance on the pedals as much as he is paddling like a duck.

Like him alot though. :D

He just looks like he's in pain!

jens_attacks said:
because of the helmets, i think no rider from the last 10 years should be posted here. a little respect guys for people like bugno,pantani,vdb,koblet,anquetil. that was class
now they all have plastic on head

for example, class, imagine how cool it would kittel look and be remembered:

images

how is he really looking on the bike:

07b7ca50-902d-4429-ae3f-286cb9f4b2a1-460x276.jpeg

bleargh

This isn't about their hairdos. It's about how they're sitting on the bikes with a few examples of people sitting plainly horribly, because people around here are somewhat silly.
You could sit elegantly on the bike with a bag over your head. I wouldn't recommend it though...

T-Nielsen said:
I always thought Laurent Jalabert had a beautiful style. Smooth and natural. Nothing looked forced or uncomfortable.
Yes!

His attack on this classic Vuelta 95 finish - yup, the Bert Dietz stage - looks fabulous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv3GSZM-4JQ (about 6.20 into the clip)

His Fleche Wallonne win in 1997 is a favorite of mine too. One acceleration and then he dances away from Luc Leblanc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uWU_XP8NCw (about 1.01.30)

The great thing about JaJa was that he just looked classy. He could be attacking, he could be dropped like a stone - he looked great no matter what.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Jagartrott said:
When the topic starter asks about souplesse (panache is something very different in my opinion), and riders are mentioned like Vinokourov, Froome, Dan Martin, etc., then it's clear that it's not clear what souplesse is all about. It isn't about winning, it isn't about character, it's about making bike riding look easy, it's about cyclists that always look comfortable on a bike, that seemingly effortlessly fly by. Such riders never 'grind', they never huff and puff. On the contrary, they sometimes give the impression they're not giving it their all, that they could try harder.

VDB is a good example I think, others like Andy Schleck too (though I don't know much about the older riders). Basso in his younger days was this as well. Perhaps Tony Martin fits the bill too, like he was riding in that TdF stage he won: he made it seem easy.

Exactly. Most of the mentioned active riders are not good examples.

IMHO, souplesse riders are Pozzato, Boonen, Millar.

Richard Virenque - Le heartthrob.

If you asked the french housewives of the 90´ies it was few who would denied they throwed flowers at this man alongside the French roads during the July scroll. Often criticised of fellow companions (in all kinds of jerseys) as well as historys greats of lacking a total understanding of what racing for the overall meant. But Richard loved polka dots.

Style: Panache all over the place. Had no problem to sacrifice whatever GC ambitions there was just for the sake of (insert random kilometers) swagging up front with the polka shirt on French prime time tele - for the ladies. Not the most stylish going uphill but one could grew accustomed and fearless descender whom no doubt would give Nibali a run for his money.

Notable plus: Made his bones without a plastic thingy on the head, but in a stylish Festina-cap.

tumblr_m6wyzwHPiE1qdw1kro1_r1_1280.jpg

There are some controversial picks above!

Souplesse to me is almost an oxymoron; it is simultaneously giving everything yet being calm, relaxed and in control; it is a both power and elegance; it is both brute force and restraint.

Without commenting on the older guys as I've not seen them ride, Pantani, VdB, JaJa, Moncoutié, Schleck are IMHO the best of this thread.

Jagartrott said:

Agree with all that. Except Tony Martin. He drools.

TRENDING THREADS