• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lenric said:
Ryo, I like you. You seem to be a cool guy, however, too much sucking on Uran.

Let's ignore the fact that Evans started his career in pro cycling later than Uran. I'll even take in consideration that Uran's career started in 2008. Just for the sake of the argument.

Uran did good things in Vuelta a Catalunya, Giro di Lombardia and 2 podiums in il Giro. Oh, and let's not forget the 2nd place at 2012's Olympic games. Probably some Romandie here and a little of success at Liége there.

Now, for Evans. I'll look into the first 7 years of his career (as I did with Uran), so I'm considering starting from 2004 and ending in 2011.
So... we have victories at Romandie, podiums in some classics, World Champion, Pro Tour champion, loads of podiums at GTs and he won le Tour in 2011.

Do I still need to continue? 'Cause I'm starting to think that you're trying to troll me... and in that case, I will laugh lol
Two things in life are infinite and I'm ever more sure of the latter.

I must be infinitely daft and thus unable to comprehend how a man can lead a Giro de Italia before starting his career. Next to that riding in the Olympics nearly a decade before begging said career is child's play. Evans surely is unquestionably the greatest cyclist of all time for pulling that off, and this discussion is therefore well and truly over. Anyone defending Uran's palmares against that must be trolling.

I don't know if you're daft or not, I sincerely hope you're not, otherwise it would be bad for you... What you seem to have is the skill to misinterpret what is clearly written. Since I lack that skill, I'll try my best effort to repeat again what I meant: when Evans started his pro cycling career, he was older than Uran was when he (Uran, just to be clear. Your skill to misinterpret seems to be of infinite proportions, as you pointed out) started his pro cycling career.

I guess I made it even clearer than it was.

PS: good quote from Einstein. I'm sure he'd find out some universe where Uran would be the best cyclist.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
ILovecycling said:
lenric said:
A cold here, some cheating behavior from Quintana there and a little snow once upon a time. Great rider, but far from being one of the best.
Not as good as Evans was, but they're kinda alike.

Let's see if he can reach 4th place in this year's Giro.
Quintana not good as Evans :confused: , that has to be some very bad joke :eek:

No it isn't, he's not as good as Evans, yet...
If you are talking about Nairo Quintana, then I dont know how you could ever figured this out.Of course he is better than Evans.Evans would never drop Froome or Contador (ohh yeah 2011 :rolleyes: ), never.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Of course Quintana is not better than Evans, at least not yet... Who dropped who really doesnt matter, achievements matters and by them Evans is fairly ahead of Quintana. Of course Nairo is young and certainly has a big chance to surpass Evans, but he is not there yet

Re:

bala v said:
Of course Quintana is not better than Evans, at least not yet... Who dropped who really doesnt matter, achievements matters and by them Evans is fairly ahead of Quintana. Of course Nairo is young and certainly has a big chance to surpass Evans, but he is not there yet

I would not rate Froome, Wiggins, Quintana or Uran ahead of Evans as of today based on their respective results. Of course with the two Colombian riders and Froome there is time to challenge Evans palmares. Wiggins will never challenge Evans but he has done well on the track of course and will probably get the hour record as well. Wiggins has to be one of the most versatile GT winners in recent times. Valverde and Evans would be the other two. But neither compare with the records of Hinault and Merckx of course from older days.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

bala v said:
Well I forgot Evans was a WC,well then... :eek:

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
DBotero said:
Uran is back,there are still hopes for a podium place :)

A minute is not that much indeed, if he was good enough to podium at the start of this Giro, he'll still podium. I can see Porte dropping out of the top easily.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Mr.White said:
Uran will finish second in this Giro, behind Contador and ahead of Aru and Porte
I hope not. I hope that by the third week he finds himself in a position where he can go for the win or die trying. Win or bust. What's the point of second place when you've already done that twice?

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
SergeDeM said:
Mr.White said:
Uran will finish second in this Giro, behind Contador and ahead of Aru and Porte
I hope not. I hope that by the third week he finds himself in a position where he can go for the win or die trying. Win or bust. What's the point of second place when you've already done that twice?
Getting second behind Contador is like winning.
He's already gotten second behind Nibali and Quintana. I can only imagine that as a win if he manages to convince Froome to win the Giro next year so he can come in second and collect all four.

Hugo Koblet said:
SergeDeM said:
Mr.White said:

No one remembers second places. Being second means you're the first from the losers.

lenric said:
Hugo Koblet said:
SergeDeM said:
Mr.White said:

No one remembers second places. Being second means you're the first from the losers.

Without a team a podium place for Uran has a different weight.

lenric said:
Hugo Koblet said:
SergeDeM said:
Mr.White said:

I don't know about that. I remember plenty of 'second places'
That mentality means that everyone except the winner of a race is forgettable, and not worthy of any mention.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

lenric said:
Hugo Koblet said:
SergeDeM said:
Mr.White said:

You're not right, don't you remember Rodriguez in Giro 2012, Schleck in 2010 and 2011 Tour, Evans in 2008 Tour, Valverde in 2006 Vuelta, Ullrich in those Tours to name a few. Hell even now people remembers Poulidor and Zoetemelk second places, so second place matters

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It's not even that 'being second' is something people remember. It's that, if you're a rider who is around for a couple of years and often end up high in the GC of a GT, cycling fans will remember you. As for me, I look beyond results and I look at how riders perform. I remember events, not standings. Seeing a guy like Uran fighting in the mountains, even though he doesn't win a GC is what I remember from a race. Just remembering the winner doesn't say anything, it's about the battle between different riders.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Let's see what I remember...

Parra 3rd in TDF 90ish.
Ciapucchi - Rominger TDF 94ish.
Ullrich TDF 97
Igor Gonzalez Galdeano VE 2001ish.
Zulle TDF 99 or 2000
Multiple Ullrich TDF 99-2005
Beloki - Basso TDF ??
Evans - Leipheimer TDF 2007
Basso - Scarponi GI 2008
Evans - F. Schleck TDF 2008
A. Schleck - LA TDF 2009
Arroyo GI 2010
A. Schleck TDF 2010
Scarponi - Nibali GI 2011
A. Schleck TDF 2011
Froome - Wiggins VE 2011
all podiums since 2012.

GTs podiums matter, at least for this fan.

Damn, you guys take everything so literally. What I meant was that, as a racer, driver, whatever, all that matters is being the first. It is to win. I don't give a *** about being second, third or whatever. I'd rather kill my ass off trying to be first, and risking ending up at 4th place, than riding rationally to be 2nd.
This should be the mentality of any guy who's competing for something, especially to one that has already achieved podiums.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SergeDeM said:
Let's see what I remember...

Parra 3rd in TDF 90ish.
Ciapucchi - Rominger TDF 94ish.
Ullrich TDF 97
Igor Gonzalez Galdeano VE 2001ish.
Zulle TDF 99 or 2000
Multiple Ullrich TDF 99-2005
Beloki - Basso TDF ??
Evans - Leipheimer TDF 2007
Basso - Scarponi GI 2008
Evans - F. Schleck TDF 2008
A. Schleck - LA TDF 2009
Arroyo GI 2010
A. Schleck TDF 2010
Scarponi - Nibali GI 2011
A. Schleck TDF 2011
Froome - Wiggins VE 2011
all podiums since 2012.

GTs podiums matter, at least for this fan.

Most if not all of these have really, really notable wins though. It's the guys whose career best results are GT podiums that vanish from memory.

The 2nd places that are remembered ain't being so for being 2nd, but because they were in the run for the win/played a (big) role in how the race was raced. That is why pretty much no one remembers who was 2nd behind RoboBasso. Arroyo on the other hand is much easier to remember, even though I don't remember any of his wins atm.

Uran looked much better and the TT is critical for him but I still get the impression that he could lose further time on the MTFs. Of course his team has not offered much. I am starting to think that as strong as Astana is, Aru will have trouble putting time into Porte and Contador in the mountains and will lose big in the TT but that could set up an entertaining third week if Aru has to go on the attack which he will.

TRENDING THREADS