• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hugo Koblet said:
cineteq said:
Uran: "I can fight with the best. [...] I want to follow my dream to contest a great Tour de France."

Where are those who said he was there to hunt for stages...or even said to carry bottles? I seemed to be the only who asked why wasn't Rigo on the poll here: Who will win the Tour?
Because he despite a perfect first week still has close to 0% chance of winning?
I guess Pinot, Bardet, Peraud have 100% chance of winning. Gotcha!

cineteq said:
Hugo Koblet said:
cineteq said:
Uran: "I can fight with the best. [...] I want to follow my dream to contest a great Tour de France."

Where are those who said he was there to hunt for stages...or even said to carry bottles? I seemed to be the only who asked why wasn't Rigo on the poll here: Who will win the Tour?
Because he despite a perfect first week still has close to 0% chance of winning?
I guess Pinot, Bardet, Peraud have 100% chance of winning. Gotcha!
What?

He has still podium chances, third rider will finisdhed at a buig distance form Froome.

His chances are very low, so maybe he must look for an stage...

Urán crack a little last Vuelta in forst mopuntains stage, one minute, but one minute with contador, and today 3 in a harder climb...and late uran was better than contador in the ITt and similar in some mountains.

He use to have a bad day. he crashed in forst weak and nobody worked for him, and today nobody worked to put him well at the begining of the climb.

Where is Kiato??

I reckon i was very optimistic, but of course if you have to work in the forst weak, and nobidy work for you, it is not that to have ans strong team working for you as Contador. I compare with Contador becouse just him, Kuriswijk and Hesjedal did the hole Giro, but just Contador and him are here among the best in GC, nor Porte is...
I would like to see him in the top 5 or and stage instead, difficult becouse most of the stage I ma sure will be for GC riders, as Movistar will fight every stage with Froome.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
I reckon i was very optimistic, but of course if you have to work in the forst weak, and nobidy work for you, it is not that to have ans strong team working for you as Contador.
Don't blame the team. Rigo is smart enough to surf wheels. He didn't have it today. He was steadily paced by Taaramae and couldn't keep up. Contador on the other hand went solo for almost half the climb.

I do think he should've bowed out of the Giro if he was going to do the Tour. Or else skipped ahead to the Vuelta. I think he's looking to tread water and salvage a top-10 in the Alps. No more, no less (yet).

Re: Re:

carton said:
Taxus4a said:
I reckon i was very optimistic, but of course if you have to work in the forst weak, and nobidy work for you, it is not that to have ans strong team working for you as Contador.
Don't blame the team. Rigo is smart enough to surf wheels. He didn't have it today. He was steadily paced by Taaramae and couldn't keep up. Contador on the other hand went solo for almost half the climb.

I do think he should've bowed out of the Giro if he was going to do the Tour. Or else skipped ahead to the Vuelta. I think he's looking to tread water and salvage a top-10 in the Alps. No more, no less (yet).
i am not talking about the climb, that kind of help as Fulgsang did for nibali is not important.

All the leaders want an strong team around him, but not for thatm when you crack is the same, it would have always wheels to follow among the victims...

I mean before the climb, or do you thing that big work and energy team wasted preparing the start of the climb as if were a sprint is for nothing?? Are you sure??

And I mean along all the week, do you know how important is a baysitter as Castroviejo for Quintana, or Thomas, Stannard etc, for Froome in the flat stages?

Ettix was Ok for Uran in the TTT, but no more, he was even taking bottles one day.. do you think that is the best way to fight for podium?? the same that to have a babbysitter, or even all the team as babysitter?

No way

I understand, Ettix has Cavendish, Tony had the possibility of leader, even people as Stybar is good for some stages...but this way is really difficult to be in the top five.

The only good think is that if he is Ok and today he just payed that, he has now the possibility to be in a breakaway...or at least, more allowed tahn others...

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks like those of us who doubted his form because of doing the Giro have unfortunately been proved right.

With Froome at such an extraterrestrial level, and with Quintana still climbing so well, even if he hadn't done the Giro he would be looking at at distanced top 5 placing at best. Should've quit the Giro or skipped the Tour. Too bad.

Re:

SergeDeM said:
Looks like those of us who doubted his form because of doing the Giro have unfortunately been proved right.

With Froome at such an extraterrestrial level, and with Quintana still climbing so well, even if he hadn't done the Giro he would be looking at at distanced top 5 placing at best. Should've quit the Giro or skipped the Tour. Too bad.
I doubt that is the problem. He needs to find out what his problem has been the last year.
He started to soft pedal midway at the Tourmalet. I don't see him winning stages because there are other stronger riders. He needs to reassess his training plan after the Tour. Check his future team and see which one fits him better.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
Hard to explain his lack of form.Maybe he's just having an year off or the hunt for a new contract takes its toll on him.
it's obvious his bad shape is because he was already in shape in the giro :rolleyes: unfortunately he got sick there. he better try and totally rest now to see in final week if he can win a stage

Ryo Hazuki said:
DBotero said:
Hard to explain his lack of form.Maybe he's just having an year off or the hunt for a new contract takes its toll on him.
it's obvious his bad shape is because he was already in shape in the giro :rolleyes: unfortunately he got sick there. he better try and totally rest now to see in final week if he can win a stage

Well,he claimed on the rest day he's ok(i posted his words on this thread).So i was hoping of showing it on the road.He seemed pretty confident to me.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
DBotero said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
DBotero said:

Well,he claimed on the rest day he's ok(i posted his words on this thread).So i was hoping of showing it on the road.He seemed pretty confident to me.
well that's easy to say when you don't have one mountainstage ridden yet. he also wasn't good in mur stage, even though he crashed

This time he didnt have bif problems in forst week, just one crash, not an easy crash, becouse ost of riders in that crash are now out of the Tour, but he wanst badly injured. He was 6th in GC.

He is good with hot, at least he doesnt like rain and bad weather, but he said on the Vuelta he was bad first mountain stage for the hot. I am not sure.

if one see that thomas was working first week and he is now 5th, that anybody really helped him in the flat is not a big excuse...
it is strange, maybe he did something wront in rest day,. he and his team were confident...

I hope he can figth for an stage. it is not easy, people as Purito or Majka are getting...
I think quintana is a betetr climber as he showed in the Giro and that Nibali is betetr with bad weather ashe showed as well, but he can beat everybody now except froome with an equilibrate route. he can, that doenst mean he do...
It must be har to rode Giro and Tour below you level, I would do as Rui Costa and look for other oportunities: San Sebastian, Canadá, Lombardia are waiting. He is one of the best in hilly clasics, but he mustbe profesional and finished le Tour fighting stage.
Kiato had power to do more first week for him...so I dont like what he do..if we see now how is Rigo it was right, but we didnt know...

Re:

Taxus4a said:
This time he didnt have bif problems in forst week, just one crash, not an easy crash, becouse ost of riders in that crash are now out of the Tour, but he wanst badly injured. He was 6th in GC.

He is good with hot, at least he doesnt like rain and bad weather, but he said on the Vuelta he was bad first mountain stage for the hot. I am not sure.

if one see that thomas was working first week and he is now 5th, that anybody really helped him in the flat is not a big excuse...
it is strange, maybe he did something wront in rest day,. he and his team were confident...

I hope he can figth for an stage. it is not easy, people as Purito or Majka are getting...
I think quintana is a betetr climber as he showed in the Giro and that Nibali is betetr with bad weather ashe showed as well, but he can beat everybody now except froome with an equilibrate route. he can, that doenst mean he do...
It must be har to rode Giro and Tour below you level, I would do as Rui Costa and look for other oportunities: San Sebastian, Canadá, Lombardia are waiting. He is one of the best in hilly clasics, but he mustbe profesional and finished le Tour fighting stage.
Kiato had power to do more first week for him...so I dont like what he do..if we see now how is Rigo it was right, but we didnt know...

I think he's never been at his best in the heat, but he's had trouble admitting it until just now. He hates the rain more openly, but he's not particularly bad in the rain/cold when he's not sick. Urrao and Medellin rarely see temps above 30C. Nor does northern Italy in the winter. And dehydration, even mild dehydration, will really destroy you physically. I'd think his off-season wasn't the best either, but he seemed to do well that last week of the Giro. But I'll stick to my guns and restate that he'll acquit himself in the Alps if nothing is seriously wrong.

Re:

webvan said:
What a poor year this has been for Uran. It looks like he never got over losing the 2014 Giro to Quintana. Not sure what his prospects are at leading another top level team now...
If he stays healthy he should be back to his best next year.Hopefully the future team will offer him more support.

Re: Re:

DBotero said:
webvan said:
What a poor year this has been for Uran. It looks like he never got over losing the 2014 Giro to Quintana. Not sure what his prospects are at leading another top level team now...
If he stays healthy he should be back to his best next year.Hopefully the future team will offer him more support.

I don't think the (missing) support was the main issue. Sure, you need helpers if you are the race leader or want to reel in someone in. But other then the 2014 Giro Uran never really was in contention for anything while riding for Quickstep. And when your team does not have to chase you can sit back and follow wheels. For that he does not need anybody and yet still wasn't able to do so most of the time. That has nothing to do with the lack of support in my opinion.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
He shouldn't be the GT leader of any good team as he's simply not good enough. He should go to a team like Androni or something like that.

The guy has two Giro second places in the last three years. There are a lot of WT teams and three GTs. He's not big 4 material, but he's better than a lot of riders who will lead WT teams in a GT in any given year.

TRENDING THREADS