• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was with the best in San Sebastian, the only one that was there riding Giro and Tour . He was at the begining of il Giro with the best, he was at the end of the Giro with the best, he was at the start of the Tour with the best, and he was at the end of le Tour 3rd in one stage.

He had just bad luck, but he showed a good level and he is in the top 20 in CQR this year, with the best in Tirreno, in Volta cataluña, in Romandia,...and in Colombia championship.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
He messed up this year but only because he went to the Tour. Nobody wants to get sick, and that killed his Giro, but he should've quit the Giro halfway through if he wanted to do the Tour, or he should've not gone to the Tour and prepped for the Vuelta instead.

Now the terrible decision of going to the Tour is going to cost him big bucks next year, as his market value must have dropped considerably. Without the Tour, and considering the Vuelta parcours, he would've been a real contender. I believe he will find a WT team that will offer him GC leadership, but it won't be a top team (Lampre? IAM?). His best bet for 2016 is to do Giro-Vuelta and forget about the Tour, considering the big four will all surely be there again and none of them will do the Giro.

Re:

webvan said:
What a poor year this has been for Uran. It looks like he never got over losing the 2014 Giro to Quintana. Not sure what his prospects are at leading another top level team now...

Poor year?? Okay no podium place but until the Giro he had a very good year, then he got sick. In the beginning and the end of the Giro he also was very good. What do you expect when someone got sick?? His second grand tour in one year is always lesser then the first and actually he has a pretty busy schedule so it was a normal performance @ Le Tour. Didn't expect him to take a top 10 spot in San Sebastian. I believe he needs to get some rest now.

Re:

SergeDeM said:
He messed up this year but only because he went to the Tour. Nobody wants to get sick, and that killed his Giro, but he should've quit the Giro halfway through if he wanted to do the Tour, or he should've not gone to the Tour and prepped for the Vuelta instead.

Now the terrible decision of going to the Tour is going to cost him big bucks next year, as his market value must have dropped considerably. Without the Tour, and considering the Vuelta parcours, he would've been a real contender. I believe he will find a WT team that will offer him GC leadership, but it won't be a top team (Lampre? IAM?). His best bet for 2016 is to do Giro-Vuelta and forget about the Tour, considering the big four will all surely be there again and none of them will do the Giro.
Vaughters seems to agree:

CyclingNews said:
“Rigo is a leader not just for his excellent skills on the road, but for his charisma," said Cannondale-Garmin CEO Jonathan Vaughters. "He brings style and passion to racing and he will be a huge asset to the team. Rigo has one more step to climb in the Giro and I will put my heart into helping make that happen. We are very excited to add him to our 2016 line up.”

Not sure Garmin was the right choice but he had to leave the team he was at. Garmin are not looking too strong lately. On paper they look okay but performance wise it has not been a good year for them. But Garmin did need a GC rider. Hesjedal tries hard but is past his best, Martin is a not a GC rider and Talansky has been a major disappointment.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Good sign for Uran, IMO. Not the best time bu it will be better than Etix for him. He could go to Movistar for instance. Soon Valverde will not be a GT contender anymore and he could be the Movistar guy for Giro or Vuelta. Nairo will be the guy for the Tour. Anyway I hope that Garmin-Can give him full support at the Giro

New start. I wish him the best for this year:

Rigoberto-Uran-2016-Cannondale-720.jpg

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/20164-rigoberto-uran-modelo-2016-garmin-cannondale.html

Funny how people said that 2015 was such a poor year for Uran when he has never scored as many CQ points in a single season before.

Cycling beyond GTs also exists.

I hope he continues his consistent performances in 2016. That's what Vaughter's team needs. Consistency was what their key riders, especially Dan Martin, lacked the most in the previous years.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Escarabajo said:

Are those their new helmets?!? :eek:
I feel so sorry for those riders...they look horrible.

They'll probably be wearing an all green version that matches with the kits. But even then, they're pretty cringe worthy.

And they look like the one-up mushroom when they wear a green version with white insides. :p

I think the problem of Rigo is in his mind. He train well and he hasa big determination, but he need to race more clever and to focus better his objetives. He was a main character at the end of the Worlds, but he had there small options to win.

He need as well ans strong team around him. He rode Giro withput an string team, and in the Tour he had to help.That way is impossible.

He has always bad luck,

This year he missed anyway a big oportunity to win Lombardia

IMO Rigo this year should focus in the spring, with Lieja and Romandia at the end, later the Tour, and if he has bad luck in le Tour, forget it and in the Vuelta, and of course the Olimpics. Lombardia it depens...

Dombrowski should be the man for the Giro, and Talanky should be with Rigo in le Tour, and if he is not stronger, to help. People as Navardauskas, King, or Craddock must be always protecting him on the plane and hilly stages.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
IMO Rigo this year should focus in the spring, with Lieja and Romandia at the end, later the Tour, and if he has bad luck in le Tour, forget it and in the Vuelta, and of course the Olimpics. Lombardia it depens...

Dombrowski should be the man for the Giro, and Talanky should be with Rigo in le Tour, and if he is not stronger, to help. People as Navardauskas, King, or Craddock must be always protecting him on the plane and hilly stages.
Isn't he riding the Giro? Jonathan Vaughters said that they signed him as a leader for the Giro. A giro team with Uran, Dombrowski, Formolo and Simon Clark would be really strong, add a few of the other Italian riders that they also have (Moser and Villella) and you have a pretty good team for the Giro.
I think he should aso ride the Tour, but not to support Talansky and Rolland, he should go stagehunting in the 3rd week and target the Olympic RR. Apparently he'll ride the Tour of Poland as a preparation race for the Olympics, that's probably even better.
Lombardia will finish in Bergamo just like in 2014, that's not a great route for him, so it shouldn't be one of his main targets.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
He is looking very skinny. Well, that could be the picture anyway.

Rigoberto-Uran-garmin-medellin-16-720.jpg

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/20362-rigoberto-uran-inicia-temporada-en-la-vuelta-al-algarve-con-la-mira-puesta-en-el-giro-de-italia-.html

Algarve
Tirreno-Adriatico
Volta a Catalunya

Racing on TV with this maillot he doenst look skinny, but quite fat.

I would like to see his attack yerterday in Malhao, but I think is no possible to see a video or at leasy a picture from the begining.

Re: Re:

liamito said:
Taxus4a said:
He is riding Liege. He was 5th there in 2011, just after an impresionant Gilbert that year and the shcleck brothers.

It is long time he doesnt ride one of the races that suits him more.

He is only on the list for Fleche.

You are right, I watched the list 2 days before an he was there...

He is riding Romandie, but.. it is a pity...

Maybe Cannondale thinks he can do a good paper with Clark and slarter. I dont think they can be podium.

Thay cant play just one card with Uran. Everything at the Giro...

I also thought it would be good to see Rigo at LBL, which suits him more than La Fleche, but LBL is only 2 days before Romandie. Maybe they think that would disrupt his preparation for Romandie and Giro.

I hope he performs well. Cannondale really needs some results.

And Cannondale's Ardennes selection for this year seems to be strange.

Uran's TT results at Cannondale:
Code:
2016-04-29	69	Tour de Romandie - Stage 3 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2016-03-15	125	Tirreno - Adriatico - Stage 7 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2016-02-19	94	Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta - Stage 3 (ITT)	2.1

Uran's TT results from previous 3 years:
Code:
2015-09-23	51	World Championships - ITT	WC	
2015-07-04	17	Tour de France - Stage 1 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2015-05-23	23	Giro d'Italia - Stage 14 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2015-05-09	4	Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (TTT)	2.UWT	
2015-05-03	11	Tour de Romandie - Stage 6 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2015-03-17	26	Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 7 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2015-02-07	1	National Championships Colombia - ITT	NC	
2014-09-02	2	Vuelta a España - Stage 10 (ITT)	2.UWT	
2014-05-30	3	Giro d'Italia - Stage 19 (ITT)	2.UWT	
2014-05-22	1	Giro d'Italia - Stage 12 (ITT)	2.UWT	
2014-05-04	4	Tour de Romandie - Stage 5 (ITT)	2.UWT	
2014-03-18	43	Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 7 (ITT)	2.UWT		
2013-09-04	17	Vuelta a España - Stage 11 (ITT)	WT		
2013-08-03	40	Tour de Pologne - Stage 7 (ITT)	WT		
2013-05-23	6	Giro d´Italia - Stage 18 (ITT)	WT	
2013-05-11	12	Giro d´Italia - Stage 8 (ITT)	WT	
2013-03-12	29	Tirreno-Adriatico - Stage 7 (ITT)	WT		
2013-02-17	11	Volta ao Algarve - Stage 4 (ITT)	2.1

So his worst TT performance from previous 3 years is still like 20 places better than his best TT performance at Cannondale. Really strange and I'm curious what is the reason that his results deteriorated so much in TTs. Did he lose more weight recently or is Cannondale's TT equipment this bad?

TRENDING THREADS