• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rigoberto Uran discussion thread.

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Fernandez said:
Maybe its me, but I think that Uran has passed his time some time ago, if he really had a time.
Yep, it's very difficult to imagine a rider fulfilling his potential more at Cannondale, than at Etixx or Sky.

Etixx had the right idea with him; he can't climb with the very best so they turned him into a great time trialler. If he's lost the TT ability then he doesnt really have much right now to challenge for a GT podium.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:
Maybe its me, but I think that Uran has passed his time some time ago, if he really had a time.
Yep, it's very difficult to imagine a rider fulfilling his potential more at Cannondale, than at Etixx or Sky.

Etixx had the right idea with him; he can't climb with the very best so they turned him into a great time trialler. If he's lost the TT ability then he doesnt really have much right now to challenge for a GT podium.
Yeah, but at the same time he had to deal with a crappy team and almost zero at Etixx in 2015, so I can't blame him for leaving.

Escarabajo said:
Fernandez said:
You could be right. I hope not. But he has been consistent in the past at least. This year seems to be a mistery to me. Weird start of the season.

There is a fact, he always has problem, crash, illnes, machanical, not the best team, omething ise to happen with him, But i think his time is yet to come. Maybe this Giro.

Last year he started ill, like this year Cancellara, but he won GP Quebec, WT classics. Giro was his forst objetive of this season, so people take lot of conclusions.

When things went well, Uran was second after Quintana in il Giro, and he lost 2 minutes becouse the Stelvio gate... I watched again that stage yesterday and Quintana wanst as stronger than him as I thought. He was later strong in 2 stages, the ITT climb and another, and yes, Quintana is the best climber of the world and it was a Giro for climbers, he deserved clearly, and he was ill at the begining 2 days, but Uran was there close.

And for me he is main favourite for the olimpics...he is in fact current silver olimpic.

Re:

portugal11 said:
He isn't a good time trialist and he isn't a top climber so he will never gain time to nibali, valverde or landa

But he is a complete rider and he has endurance.

He starting pro cycling wining the ITT of bicicleta vasca with at years old.

Contadopr won a Giro where he wanst the best climber nor the best in ITT, he didnt won any stage and he won that Giro clearly. To win a GT you need to be always ok and to dont lose time, ort just some seconds day by day. He lost today, so he has difficult to win, but he could be the stronger at the end, and then it is not a question of top climber.. it is just a question of energy remaining...

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
portugal11 said:
He isn't a good time trialist and he isn't a top climber so he will never gain time to nibali, valverde or landa

But he is a complete rider and he has endurance.

He starting pro cycling wining the ITT of bicicleta vasca with at years old.

Contadopr won a Giro where he wanst the best climber nor the best in ITT, he didnt won any stage and he won that Giro clearly. To win a GT you need to be always ok and to dont lose time, ort just some seconds day by day. He lost today, so he has difficult to win, but he could be the stronger at the end, and then it is not a question of top climber.. it is just a question of energy remaining...
Not the best in TT?? and he was at least the second best climber

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Contador was clearly the best TT'er of the riders that actually mattered for GC
OMG, where is he a complete rider? He has mental weakness, he is a good climber but not world class and his TT only was good in 2014. Edit: this post is for taxus

Mayomaniac said:
DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:

Yeah, but at the same time he had to deal with a crappy team and almost zero at Etixx in 2015, so I can't blame him for leaving.
Sure, I don't blame him for leaving either - 2015 was a poor year and he seemed to be going a bit stale. But he was still their undisputed leader in the GTs that he entered and they clearly did a lot to improve his TTs.

Generally though, if you can't win a GT at Sky or Etixx, then its very unlikely that you're going to do so at Cannondale in their current shape.

2 years ago he was everyday in the velodrome in Medellin.. I dont see those pictures anymore...
This year Landa has for his first time an ITT bike at ho,e, and he spent lot of time in San Sebastian and in Mallorca in the track...

if you work, things happen, but i think Uran was just trying to came fresh at the Giro, with a good preparation, riding the ITt before, but no focusing enough at ITT not in trainings, nor on the races...He did a good second part if he crashed, but not enough, his TT is bad without excuse. Tuesday is a good day for everybody who want to recover time...

Escarabajo said:
tristecsinamigos said:
Escarabajo said:
He was born in 1989. So he must be 29. So it says here:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Rigoberto_Uran

87, as me.

Rigo should focus more on classic races, he's has probably better chances there.
LOL. Fixed. Thanks.

I think the same, classics and one week races... but of course a podium in a GT is something any team died for...

Analysing again his ITT...He was going to do a bad ITT anyway, with crash or no, in part becouse he dont like too much rain, in part becoue i think this year he didnt work so much as other years ITT,or just becoue not the best day. But it i possible he was going to lose just seconds with Nibali, and put time to others favourites. He started bad, losing 44 second to Nibali in the first 11 km, a lot...but in the second part, another 11 Km, he lost just 15 seconds, and algthough ii was mostly soft downhill, it has its climbs and flats...he put 4 second to chaves that section...that indicates that, as usually, he was going from lees to plus...and the thisr ection was the harder, the best to recover time. He crashed there and lost time and then he couldnt make that recover. but he was expected to didnt lose more time to Nibali than that minute he lost at the middle. who knows he could even doing better in the second part acording how he improved from first to second intermediate point.

Looking at Barolo intermediates, that day he did his best time clearly in the third part of the ITT, Pozzovivo put him 15 second in the first intermediate point and finally he lost 2:09.