• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rio 2016 Olympic Road Race and Time Trial courses

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
SafeBet said:
DFA123 said:
Same with Italy - would be madness to pick Aru instead of Brambilla - when the latterwould clearly perform a much better role as a team-mate for Nibali.
Has the italian selection been announced yet?

Because I think it's still very early. Felline for instance started riding his bike again this week. Gonna be very difficult for him to be selected but if he can get some racing days in his legs he could be very fresh for Rio.

I'd go something like: Nibali, Rosa, Ulissi, Felline, Moser.
No, don't think it's been announced so far.

I think that team has too many potential leaders and not enough willing to sacrifice themselves. I would definitely have Brambilla and Trentin in there. The first 150km are pretty flat, so with five space you need at least one guy who can put in a monster effort on the flat, if not two - and Trentin is probably the best rouleur they have, especially with Malori ruled out.

Add in Rosa and either Brambilla or Scarponi as helpers for Nibali, with either Ulissi or Felline in a semi-protected free role would be a nicely balanced team. Certainly don't see where Aru fits in.

Rollthedice said:
After the recon Nibali said it will be tough even for climbers, Vista Chinesa resembles Ghissalo, technical descent, fast last 10k. He thinks the race will be decided on the climb, probably the last one.

Not sure how much to read into that. He's still lobbying at this stage to be undisputed leader - ahead of Ulissi or Feline, so he's going to want to make out that it's only suitable for the best climbers.

Also not too sure it's so much like Ghisallo either - the lower slopes look similar, but Ghisallo has those tough steep final 2km - while this climb looks pretty gentle for the final 3km. It will be almost impossible for a climber to attack late and gain a significant advantage of the top. They'd have to go in the first half of the climb, and then the super domestiques like Moreno, Rosa would just reel them in.

I think the winner will either be someone that can sprint a bit, or someone who can slip away on the final descent or flat run in to the line.

I believe you are wright about the last climb, wich will be made 3X. The "first half" is the real climb;
http://www.strava.com/segments/789126
If there is a place steep to attack in this climb is;
http://www.strava.com/segments/4155986 which is about the middle...
There is another place, wich is after the little sharp downhill, is a little steep 400mts;
http://www.strava.com/segments/7027263 thats where i'll be...
after that is easy, regular 2,3km; http://www.strava.com/segments/3750604 is pretty easy, even to me... the 5km downhill is VERY technical but "only" about 3min..
I just dont know what to make about the +/-10km they will do 2x between the 3 climbs.. Sagan came down and said he's got no chance. Contador, Froome already done it. Nibali came with "his" teamates. And Cassani who did in the car but with his gps on, so now he leads most of the KOM around here.
Is probably the only chance all the big names can get a medal in their lifetimes and they'll do whatever it takes to grab this chance...

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Apparently, Richie Porte has patched up his differences with CA so will be a definite starter and a chance to medal. Have no ide who will be the supportriders.

Not sure he was ever out of favour, it has been Renshaw (always a moaner) & Mick Rogers (post clen positive) who've been critical of Cycling Aus.

He may get selected but AUS best chance of a road medal is via the ITT. Richie may get one of the two TT spots but Dennis is the better chance.

Dennis is a show for the TT, though it may be a touch hilly.

Porte was a long time out of favour because of issues at the AIS.

No surprise Rogers fell out with CA - Their lack of support when Rogers had his positive for clenbuterol was breathtaking - CA hung,drawn and quartered Rogers before his hearing - What a disgraceful organisation.

And they have the incompetent Brad McGee in charge of the road program - The same goof who had a 5 and 4 strategy for Gerrans and Matthews at the 2015 World Championship.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the Kermesse which is the 2016 World Championship - Matthews is not quick enough for the sprint and Ewan will struggle with the distance - Unanswered questions.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

Guybrush said:
MatParker117 said:
TJVG has pulled out due to Zika, his wife is pregnant and he doesn't want to risk it.

it sounds like an absurd excuse

What is absurd about that? The country itself is in a disarray and with the dangerous Zika virus floating around, I'm even surprised any clearly thinking person would risk that.

Maybe the athletes as they are somewhat separated from the public and get paid to play, but as a fan, I would never go there ... even if it was a no expense trip.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
Apparently, Richie Porte has patched up his differences with CA so will be a definite starter and a chance to medal. Have no ide who will be the supportriders.

Not sure he was ever out of favour, it has been Renshaw (always a moaner) & Mick Rogers (post clen positive) who've been critical of Cycling Aus.

He may get selected but AUS best chance of a road medal is via the ITT. Richie may get one of the two TT spots but Dennis is the better chance.

No surprise Rogers fell out with CA - Their lack of support when Rogers had his positive for clenbuterol was breathtaking - CA hung,drawn and quartered Rogers before his hearing - What a disgraceful organisation.

And they have the incompetent Brad McGee in charge of the road program - The same goof who had a 5 and 4 strategy for Gerrans and Matthews at the 2015 World Championship.

Will be interesting to see what happens at the Kermesse which is the 2016 World Championship - Matthews is not quick enough for the sprint and Ewan will struggle with the distance - Unanswered questions.

Your read is 100% correct re the Rogers situation; the then CEO of Cycling AUS did hang him out to dry. Mind you, that CEO didn't last long

Re McGee, he's an excellent coach & reaosnable DS but not sure he has the strong personality for the role he has for National Team at Worlds etc.

Not too sure you're on the right track re Porte & Cycling AUS. He's certainly had his share of National Team representation. He may be competitive on that Rio course but whilst he has his good TTs, he's hardly consistent enough to be classified as elite. Also a significant question mark over his capacity to handle pressure.

Will be interesting to see who makes themselves available for this years Worlds ........ from any country. If there's any wind then you can scratch Ewan; he'll be tailed off as soon as they form echelons.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Diminish Sagan's choice to take an interest in the crosscountry mountain bicycle occasion at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games has been invited by 2012 bronze medallist Marco Aurelio Fontana, however he cautioned that the world street champion may battle to complete on the platform on August 21.
Sagan will renounce the Olympic Games street race, implying that after the finish of the Tour de France on July 24, he will have four weeks in which to get ready for the mountain bicycle occasion.

"Subside will leave the Tour in awesome oxygen consuming condition however in our races it's cadence that matters: quickening, directing, relaunching once more. He knows how to handle a bicycle, yet he'll need to chip away at power. I think he'll battle to get in the main three," Fontana told Gazzetta dello Sport. "However, he's a marvel, we can expect anything from him."

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Your read is 100% correct re the Rogers situation; the then CEO of Cycling AUS did hang him out to dry. Mind you, that CEO didn't last long

Re McGee, he's an excellent coach & reaosnable DS but not sure he has the strong personality for the role he has for National Team at Worlds etc.

Not too sure you're on the right track re Porte & Cycling AUS. He's certainly had his share of National Team representation. He may be competitive on that Rio course but whilst he has his good TTs, he's hardly consistent enough to be classified as elite. Also a significant question mark over his capacity to handle pressure.

Will be interesting to see who makes themselves available for this years Worlds ........ from any country. If there's any wind then you can scratch Ewan; he'll be tailed off as soon as they form echelons.

Selectors will go with Ewan because the WC profile is a kermesse.

Netserk said:
BigMac said:
SafeBet said:
I don't honestly get all the concern about zika. It's not ebola.
Dangerous for pregnant women of course, but how many of the athletes competing in the Olympics are pregnant women?

Many might have pregnant women at home or in their families is my guess.
afaik, isn't it mostly sexually transmitted between humans?

Mainly transmitted by mosquitoes I believe.

PremierAndrew said:
Netserk said:
BigMac said:
SafeBet said:
Dangerous for pregnant women of course, but how many of the athletes competing in the Olympics are pregnant women?

I know, but between humans, isn't it (almost) only through sex that it transmits? It's not like they'll take the mosquitoes with them back home.

Netserk said:
PremierAndrew said:
Netserk said:
BigMac said:
SafeBet said:

I know, but between humans, isn't it (almost) only through sex that it transmits? It's not like they'll take the mosquitoes with them back home.

Yeah, it's not an airborne disease or anything

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Zika can be spread sexually as it can be spread with mosquitoes. Two species of mosquitoes that spread Zika virus are Aedes aegypti and A. albopictus. While A. aegypti is more prevalent in equatorial countries, A. albopictus habitat spreads also to some European countries and parts of USA. So theoretically, non-sexual transmission is also possible in countries outside of Brasil.

TRENDING THREADS