• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP David Canada

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Dead Spanish Rider

LaFlorecita said:
London Hibs said:
Something mentioned today on Eurosport that a cyclist died in Spain today. Who?

I see or read nothing on the news feeds.
David Cañada, ex-pro, may he RIP

Thank you (and I understand that drug comments are shunned on this forum) but looking at his past teams, it does make you wonder.

Sad day and thanks for the memories, lad.

While I know where you're coming from, it's not really fair to go in that direction. Cañada died after a bike accident, crashing heavily in a sportif in his home region. Nothing more untoward about it than that. Just a horrible accident that can happen - and indeed has happened - to many pros, ex-pros, amateurs and hobby riders.

London Hibs said:
LaFlorecita said:
London Hibs said:
Something mentioned today on Eurosport that a cyclist died in Spain today. Who?

I see or read nothing on the news feeds.
David Cañada, ex-pro, may he RIP

Thank you (and I understand that drug comments are shunned on this forum) but looking at his past teams, it does make you wonder.

Sad day and thanks for the memories, lad.
He crashed in a sportive and hit his head, so there's nothing to make you wonder

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Apologies for the insinuation that this was drug related. It was a genuine question and I took the outcome the wrong way.

I ask forgiveness and my thoughts are with his family.

If i recall right, didn't he have to miss a season due to having some form of cancer, and because of missing that season led tp him being unable to find a team and he decided to retire.

Unfortunate accident, thoughts to his family.

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Ex-pro, cancer survivor Canada dies in gran fondo crash

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/05/news/ex-pro-cancer-survivor-canada-dies-in-gran-fondo-crash_407802

David Cañada, an ex-pro and cancer survivor, died Saturday from head injuries sustained during a fall in a gran fondo event in his home region of Aragon, Spain.

According to Spanish media reports, he crashed into another rider, landed heavily on his head, and later died of injuries. He was 41.

Cañada won the 2006 Volta a Catalunya after riding into a key breakaway and wore the best young rider’s jersey during the 2000 Tour de France. He was once hailed as a potential grand tour winner, riding for ONCE, Mapei, Saunier-Duval, and Fuji-Servetto before retiring in 2009.

His racing career was marred by health problems, including a heart condition and injuries to his Achilles tendon. In 2007, he was diagnosed with melanoma. Following an operation and treatment, he return to race one final season.

May he rest in peace.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

This is incredibly sad.

Bad luck always seemed to follow David Canada's career - from a near certain 2004 Tour stage win, to an awful crash on the way to Gap in 06, to skin cancer a couple of years later.

Vale Canada - far too young.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Can we change the name of this forum thread now to something like 'Vale David Canada' or something else appropriate?

TRENDING THREADS