• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

RIP Davide Rebellin

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unbelievable. For such a long time it seemed like the one thing as certain as death and taxes was that Davide Rebellin would have a pro contract for the next season. Such admirable talent, longevity and passion, sprinkled with that tiny hint of sadness that maybe he didn't know how to do much else than racing his bike. Felt like he'd never leave the peloton, and to see him leave in such a permanent way so shortly after is brutal. At least he left while doing what he loved. As DNP-Old pointed out, somehow it seems meant to be. It's like taken straight out of some tragic work of fiction.

RAI 3 just did a report on the evening news of Rebellini's tragic end, with footage of his bike still at the scene that was totally broken in half and utterly destroyed, nay mangled. which indicates that he was literally run over at high speed. The driver kept going! In a cruel coincidence it was Davide's brother that first discovered him dead.

Many motorists just don't care about cyclists and rather despise them.

PS. Over the years, in every interview, he really did seem like a kind soul, soft spoken to the point of melancholic, never angry, even during his dark moment. And I never heard a collegaue speak badly of him.

Last edited:
RAI 3 just did a report on the evening news of Rebellini's tragic end, with footage of his bike still at the scene that was totally broken in half and utterly destroyed, which indicates that he was literally run over at high speed. The driver kept going! In a cruel coincidence it was Davide's brother that first discovered him dead.

Many motorists just don't care about cyclists and rather despise them.

The intricate parts of this story is just getting more eerie/uncanny, the more you start to hear about it.

They identified who hit him yet?

https://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/30...stito-un-camion-vicentino-4501341537128.shtml

It reports that at first the hypothesis was, perhaps the truck driver didn't realize what happened. Then the carabinieri saw footage of security telecameras of a nearby restaurant, which recorded the truck pulled into its parking lot right after the incident. If the truck left the way it came in and out onto the same rode, then it would have been rather impossible not to have seen Rebellin lying dead. It is unclear to me whether or not they have footage of this. The image of the bike is, in any case, horrendous.

But there is still much unknown about what exactly happened.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I came too late to cycling to see his glory years but fell in love with him through this forum thanks to his "never ending" career.

I'm just so sad, tired and also angry. In Ireland we are still in the early days of cycling as a modern (it was obviously the norm for a long time) viable commute and cycle lanes as a norm . I'm sick of arguing and defending every inch of cycle lane (I done it before in London and was proved right)
You can threaten, abuse and even kill someone with your car in Ireland and not even lose your license and I am sick of it.
Killers with knives and guns are idiots just hit them with your car.

Absolutely in denial. It couldn't possibly be. Even his post-suspension career - at an age when most thought it unlikely he'd come back from his suspension at all - was longer than most pros' careers. I can't really conceive of a time when there was pro cycling without Davide Rebellin in it - and for most of my memory now it's as the picture of his latter years, being the ultimate example of the 'have race licence, will travel' pro turning up on random obscure Algerian and South East Asian teams that went from being point-and-laugh ex-doper hanging on at a lower level through to grandfatherly veteran that just wants to ride on and whose determination to do so can only be admired... let alone the guy who made history as the first man to do the Ardennes triple in a single year back in his first career, he'd spent so long on that latter career that we forget what a force he was in his heyday - which took place when riders who retired alongside him, like Philippe Gilbert (who would go on to ape his most famous feat) and Alejandro Valverde, were neo-pros and young prospects - and before.

I kind of feel like it's some kind of Andy Kaufman trick and I'm waiting for some kind of punchline that in reality is never going to come.

TRENDING THREADS