• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Road I.D.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Really? $20+

Anyone bought one?

Wait they have a yellow one.......:eek:

you can go to the pet store and buy a tag for $3.95. If you get beefed by a car they want to know who you are calling road id for medical info is a little bit of a stretch. I was given a tag .. bored it out a little and put on the bottom screw of my water bottle cage..it's red the size a a big guitar pick. Another guy got the bigger tag and drilled it out and put it on the seat binder bolt..it's a little cooler than my location sticks out like a little race number

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
Really? $20+

Anyone bought one?

Yea, I have one. Not sure what's so big about $20. You know you get to put your health info online along with the ID right? Insurance info, allergies, whatever. Plus it's going to be pretty visible for someone to see.

But, hopefully everyone rides with some sort of ID/contact info.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I got a certificate from a friend so I got one, I usually end up leaving it in a jersey pocket since I can't stand having stuff on my wrist. I like the pet tag idea. Maybe I'll do something like that. It is nice material, construction, etc so I think it could be worth it if you were more consistent about wearing it.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
You guys need an ID to ride your bikes? Or... is it for racing?

It's got contact info and/or medical info, so in case you crash and are unconscious, people know who you are, how to contact your family, if you have a major medical condition, etc. It's a bracelet or necklace with a small metal tag (sort of like a military "dog tag" ID tag) that has the info printed on.

Beech Mtn said:
It's got contact info and/or medical info, so in case you crash and are unconscious, people know who you are, how to contact your family, if you have a major medical condition, etc. It's a bracelet or necklace with a small metal tag (sort of like a military "dog tag" ID tag) that has the info printed on.

Oooh... I see...

May 5, 2010
Visit site
More secure

Boeing said:
Really? $20+

Anyone bought one?

I used to carry my insurance card and drivers license. I was not comfortable carrying my drivers license. I got a road ID. I feel much better carrying the road ID than I did carrying the other IDs.

The profile you set up asks for some great information. One thing I did not think about for quite some time is my blood type. I have had annual physical for many years. I could not find blood type anywhere on my physicals about blood type. I called my physician. He did not know my blood type. They suggested donating blood to get typed. Seems like a good piece of information to have if you crash.:eek:

I have an ID, but not your dogtag type.
It's reflective yellow and is a sticker on each side of my helmet. the larger has a pull out tag with my name, info and emergency contact info on it, while the smaller one is on the other side of my helmet directing the paramedic/whoever to the tag. ICE (In Case of Emergency) is on them.
My "kit" came with a velcro wrist band with the same deal and a smaller tag to go in the laces of your runners (if you're a jogger/runner).

http://www.emergencyid.com.au/sportsID.php

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
TigerFish said:
I used to carry my insurance card and drivers license. I was not comfortable carrying my drivers license. I got a road ID. I feel much better carrying the road ID than I did carrying the other IDs.

The profile you set up asks for some great information. One thing I did not think about for quite some time is my blood type. I have had annual physical for many years. I could not find blood type anywhere on my physicals about blood type. I called my physician. He did not know my blood type. They suggested donating blood to get typed. Seems like a good piece of information to have if you crash.:eek:

interesting, didnt think of that

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I carry my license and a cell phone. If I wanted a tag like this I could either make on out of common household items or pay at most $4 or $5.

$20? wtf? is like $10 going to some charity like livestrong or 'give levi a more normal looking cranium surgery' ?

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
bobs *** said:
I carry my license and a cell phone. If I wanted a tag like this I could either make on out of common household items or pay at most $4 or $5.

$20? wtf? is like $10 going to some charity like livestrong or 'give levi a more normal looking cranium surgery' ?

Actually, if you buy one, they do donate something like $1 or so to charity. Last time I checked, you had a choice of only 4 or so charities, 2 of whom were, guess what - Livestrong or Levi's Forget-Me-Not Farm. Yes really.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Beech Mtn said:
Actually, if you buy one, they do donate something like $1 or so to charity. Last time I checked, you had a choice of only 4 or so charities, 2 of whom were, guess what - Livestrong or Levi's Forget-Me-Not Farm. Yes really.

ok, so $1 for 'make kazoo look more human', $1 for cost of goods, and $18 for marketing and profit?

I think about $5 incl postage is fair enough.

@BD, I am surprised microchipping hasn't become mainstream (yet). I think it certainly will be soon.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Jeez you people will ***** about anything. If you don't like it don't get it. It has more information then just your phone number or blood type that you can put on a dog tag. They can go to the web site look you up and things like allergies are also on there. One important thing for me is I can not have MRI's too much steel in my body, so they have to do a CAT scan instead. Things you would like the emergency room to know if you can't talk.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
What website?
Anyway... I (mostly) have my wallet with me when I'm riding my bike anyway... by health security card is in my wallet.

It has a phone number on it that someone would call with an id number they put in. At that time somebody looks it up and relays the info to them at the scene or hospital. Like contacts, allergies, medical history stuff.

I am not sure where you live but here in the states your medical stuff is not on an insurance card just a number so they know who to bill.

does your wallet have your families phone number at work and home or cell? Mine doesn't, does anybody else?

Somehow I think I'd be able to find out essential information by looking up my journal...

What if you can't talk?

look I am not advocating anybody get it but why ***** about it? If you don't think it is worth it, don't get it?

To answer your last question first; I don't need to talk for them to be able to look up my journal. My person-number is on my card!
As for the telephone number... no! But they're on my phone...

Anyway... those really bad crashes often happens on descents, right? Well; we're kinda short of them here... 'tis ol' country is flat!

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Bad crashes can happen anywhere. Cyclists can get hit by cars or run off the road or hit potholes that turn out to be worse than imagined.

RedheadDane said:
Well... I feel relatively secure... don't think there's any really bad portholes where I mostly ride (that's... basically just a hole in the ground... right?) and I'm mostly on the biking lane... so...

So RoadID is not for you.

I think the product idea is certianly a good one. The "Interactive" version, where you put all of your medical and important contact information in a database, would be very helpful in the event that it is was needed. I'm probably never going to go to that extreme, but I think I'll be looking into some form of identification to consolidate my info.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts