• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

I don't mean to bash on my man Levi's sponsor, but what's wrong with carrying a wallet, or photocopy of your ID in a plastic baggy, in your jersey pocket?

Plus, the underlying message is that "You ARE going to get hit and be killed, become unconscious or have amnesia.".

Come on. Yeah, about 700 bicyclists are killed per year in the U.S., but over 5,000 motorcyclists are too. I don't see them peddling RoadID to motorcyclists. :rolleyes:

Why are we bicyclists so okay with all the fear mongering about bicycling safety?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. When I first saw this, I thought it was a cool idea, and then I had the same thought: I'm going to die and my dental records might not be enough to identify me. Heart-warming. (I also noticed on the site that they sell dog tag versions, too). I guess their sale m. o. is that it's more an individual identification with or participation within a larger club of cyclists. Presumably only another cyclist is going to recognize it if you're wearing it...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
On long rides I already have enough junk in my pockets, I don't need a wallet too, and anything smaller is likely to accidentally fall out while digging for a gel pack. Speaking from personal experience, I think the RoadID is a good idea. In 1999 I was hit by a car going 45kph and ended up in the hospital, unconscious, with no ID and no proof of insurance. I was fortunate that a friend of mine is a doctor who just happened to be on call that night. He identified me, but it could have been hours before my family knew what happened. If it weren't for my doctor friend being on duty I could have easily ended up in the morgue, as I had massive brain trauma and multiple broken bones and any delay in treatment could have been deadly. A simple bracelet would have ensured that the hospital had my insurance info so there was no delay in treating me, and my family would have been informed immediately.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have used RoadID for a couple of years now. I don't mind wearing one because it has more information on it than I carry in my wallet, such as contact numbers in case of an emergency and my blood type, and is not as bulky. I am not fearful about getting on my bike, but if something were ever to happen then I feel more secure that I will be treated with the correct blood type and that my loved ones will know as quickly as possible.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, but who - other than another rider that has actually seen one of these - is going give it a close enough inspection to notice it has your info on it? They will search for a wallet or id by emptying your pockets and seat pack (if you have one on the bike). This type of wearable id has been around for decades (see SOS bracelets as an example) and people still don't recognise them in the street...

It'd be great if they were well recognised though as I would definitely use one.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
But maybe that's the point with Levi promoting them - more exposure and more people knowing what RoadID is all about. The RoadID website contains a number (well, a lot really) of testimonials of how these have worked well in saving people's lives. Ninety5rpm is correct in that this smells more of scare mongering, but they are also trying to sell a product that may be useful to cyclists and runners. I'm sure emergency services know to look for RoadID and similar devices in case of an accident.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I think it is a good idea. I agree that on long rides etc I don't want extra junk in my pockets that could slip out. I don't want my wallet in there soaking up my sweat.

They really just need to start implanting chips in people so they can scan and identify just like they do for your pets.

If people in the public saftey and medical fields don't know to look at bracelets or necklaces etc. by now, then we are all in big trouble.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Greyhound Velo said:
If it weren't for my doctor friend being on duty I could have easily ended up in the morgue, as I had massive brain trauma and multiple broken bones and any delay in treatment could have been deadly.

USA is a strange country. In another thread someone were considering carrying a gun in the jersey, and know I learn that you won't get treated if the hospital can't identify you.

Guess I'm glad to live in Europe. Nobody except the police carry guns and we got public healthcare. Treatment first, questions afterwards.

And too all you americans: Come to Denmark. If you get hit by a car you will get 1st class treatment on a public hospital, even if you are uninsured. Guess you will have to pay, but you get treatment first.

Denmark? Is it true that bicyclists are not allowed to leave the right side of the road to make vehicular left turns in this supposed cycling nirvana, but must make the pedestrian-style 2-step left turn by keeping right and crossing the first street, turning 90 degrees to the left, then crossing the next street? No thanks.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
analo69 said:
USA is a strange country. In another thread someone were considering carrying a gun in the jersey, and know I learn that you won't get treated if the hospital can't identify you.

And yet people from all over the world keep moving here. You'd think they would know better by now!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Denmark? Is it true that bicyclists are not allowed to leave the right side of the road to make vehicular left turns in this supposed cycling nirvana, but must make the pedestrian-style 2-step left turn by keeping right and crossing the first street, turning 90 degrees to the left, then crossing the next street? No thanks.

Hey guess what? in heavy traffic it can be much faster than trying to merge left and then getting stuck waiting for an arrow in a left hand turn only lane
:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

Wow - that's all it takes for you to not move? I know you're big on cycling safety, but infrastructure is important for keeping cyclists safe as well and car-dependent countries like USA, Canada and Australia could learn so much on how to make cycling safer, and a more commonly used form of transport as a result, from European countries, particularly the Netherlands and Belgium, and obviously Denmark as well.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

It is true. And you can't turn right if there is a red light neither. In many other countries that is allowed..

But in the towns we often have specially designated cycling lanes. A lot of people use their bicycles for commuting every day. Most families own only one car because cars are very expensive here. You can't get a new car for less than 20.000 dollars(very small car. A family car is prized around 40.000 - 80.000 dollars because of taxes) and gasoline costs around 8 dollars a gallon.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
And yet people from all over the world keep moving here. You'd think they would know better by now!

People from all over the world come to Denmark as well. But recently we got some strict immigration laws and a lot fewer are coming to Denmark. What a pity.

I guess USA is more known among immigrants, but I can't understand why people prefer USA over Europe.

You got the American dream and so on. But in Denmark we have no poverty, unemployment rate at 3%, free public healthcare and education. For some reason studies show that Denmark is the place on earth where people are happiest.

Ninety5rpm said:

I'm not from Denmark and there is no law like that over here, but there is a intersection near my work where I always do a 2-step left turn. It is a rather special intersection though, because the cars at the opposite side of the road are allowed to turn right, while the cars from 'my' side are allowed to turn left. Since they turn into a two-lane road, it works out well for them, but it is very hard to reach the seperate biking lane. I would have to go through the (many) cars from the opposite side that are turning right, possibly waiting a long time in the middle of the intersection for a gap, with cars passing me on three sides :eek:. The 2-step left turn is much safer there (and luckily, they changed the light timings so I only have to wait a short while before I get to do the second crossing).

When there is a seperate bike lane up to the intersection, a 2-step left turn is the only sensible option, since you cannot presort into a safe position for turning left. I suspect that most busy roads in Denmark will have seperated bike lanes, so for those roads a 2-step left turn is just natural.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Turd Ferguson said:
I think it is a good idea. I agree that on long rides etc I don't want extra junk in my pockets that could slip out. I don't want my wallet in there soaking up my sweat.

They really just need to start implanting chips in people so they can scan and identify just like they do for your pets.

If people in the public saftey and medical fields don't know to look at bracelets or necklaces etc. by now, then we are all in big trouble.

+1 on the 'carrying less stuff in my jersey pocket' comment. It's a cheap, light and convenient way to have ID, medical essential and emergency contact info on you at all times when riding.

And I agree that although the average person might not see the bracelet as a means of identification, medical personnel (especially emergency response) are trained to look for something just like this.

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi Turd Ferguson,
I don't agree with you. Many time brcelets is most useful for our life for safty. Even Medical are suggest to wear a bracelets. If you have any case medical fields are disagree with bracelets, Then kindly request Mr. Turd, Please share with us.

analo69 said:
It is true. And you can't turn right if there is a red light neither. In many other countries that is allowed..

But in the towns we often have specially designated cycling lanes. A lot of people use their bicycles for commuting every day. Most families own only one car because cars are very expensive here. You can't get a new car for less than 20.000 dollars(very small car. A family car is prized around 40.000 - 80.000 dollars because of taxes) and gasoline costs around 8 dollars a gallon.
cars suck:cool:

A

Anonymous

medical personel in the uk HAVE to look at the wrists of any accident victim patient etc, to check for sos bracelets, allergy to penicillin etc..

I picked up a RoadID a few months ago and love it. Having several near misses with trucks and SUVs this year, I thought it would be prudent. Used to dig my driver's license out of my wallet and put in my saddle bag but started thinking...what if I got knocked off my bike in the country side and they did not see the bike. Someone who is not a cyclist may not even know to look in the saddle bag. No one would know who I was or who to contact in an emergency. It is so easy to use and I am sure anyone who is doing CPR or triage would notice the wrist band. And...since I am dyslexic, it is a handy way for me to have the name and number of my emergency contact. :)

I'm waiting for the brain implant that will have a dual purpose. First, identify me in the hour of my untimely death and Second, to track my every movement anywhere in the world with the added feature of controlling my thoughts. Just kidding. Seriously, as a pre-teen, I had a deathly allergy to certain drugs and happily wore my dog tags with this essential information on it right up to today, and when i was 16 I knocked myself out cold after taking a ski jump badly, and it probably saved my life. Dorky ad, good product.

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
Im in favour of the RoadID - i have travelled out to Sydney for 6 months to study out here - so when i go out riding, no one is going to know my name/home contact details/address etc and this even extends to riding within the cycling club i have joined whilst out here. I even wear it when i ride on the velodrome for this reason aswel. If something severely serious has happend - i dont want to be waiting around for people to rummage through race license forms to find out my contact information.

To me it gives me a piece of mind that if i was to be knocked off and unable to speak then at least i have something there that can help. I believe that it isnt neccessarily scare mongering - its having an appreciation for the fact that serious accidents do occur out on the roads whereby the cyclist is usually worse off - i have two titanium front teeth (which im considering drilling and having 'super record' etched onto ;)) to remind me of this fact unfortunately.

At the end of the day its whatever your happy with doing - ID cards in the jersey/saddle bags or essentially the same thing just on your wrist.

TRENDING THREADS