• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Robbie McEwan says he will beat Cavendish

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Says he's been using his time off to study other sprinters so he can beat them - which will be useful when he next gets back on a bike but that won't be in the Eneco Tour

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
McEwan can study Cavendish as much as he likes but what he will find is that Cavendish is just too fast to be able to even come off his wheel.

Even if he sits in the Columbia train right behind Cavendish and chooses his moment, when Cav goes at the 300m banner, no-one can touch him. McEwan can't go earlier than that and if he did, he would die trying to reach the line first.

Hushovd, who complained at the Tour that Cavendish had a train and that he didn't, simply couldn't come off his wheel, when he had the benefit of that train himself!

Basically, everyone else can pretty well eat Cavendish's dust for the time being.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mcewen can outjump him. Still.

But that would require a sprint starting from 55kmph, and being launched at 50 metres from the line.

And that scenario will not eventuate.

The only way Mcewen beats Cav, is if Cav does not have a free look at the finish line.

The only guy who can beat Cav is Chicchi in my opinion. Petacchi used to say that in training Chicchi could take him. Now, if you look at the overhead from 2007 Paris Tours, you can see the blistering finish of Chicchi. It is like Cavendish.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
McEwen can't beat Farrar, Ciolek, Renshaw, etc. He was always so impressive, but it seems (from his results) that his best days are behind him (as opposed to the best sprinters, who are generally in front of him).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I give McEwen credit...he is doing everything he has to in order to keep winning. Cav is not unbeatable...for all those posting here..that is why you are typing on a computer and McEwen is planning on ways to win. Should be exciting.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
McEwen is one of my favouite riders, but this is a little too far for him. It's great to set goals, another to say "I can beat him" in public when your best days are cetainly behind you.

He won the Cancer Council classic, and then for the rest of the TDU was well off it.
I think he can do a good result, but win against Cavendish? Highly unlikely, but we want to see surprises right?

doddy13 said:
McEwen is one of my favouite riders, but this is a little too far for him. It's great to set goals, another to say "I can beat him" in public when your best days are cetainly behind you.

He won the Cancer Council classic, and then for the rest of the TDU was well off it.
I think he can do a good result, but win against Cavendish? Highly unlikely, but we want to see surprises right?

McEwan's a fighter, and if any sprinter is capable of surprising to this degree, it's gotta be him.

Either way, I hope SOMEBODY turns up to challenge Cav.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
What's Robbie going to say???

"My goal for next season is to have my a$$ spanked and handed to me week in week out for the entire year!"

Whether he can beat the other top sprinters or not doesn't matter. He's got to believe it (or at least say it) otherwise there would be no point in racing.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Maybe Robbie could utilize his famous headbutt move to beat Cav.
ogrady_wideweb__430x354.jpg

Just for the record, Farrar smoked a trainless Cav and McEwan in stage 3 of Tirreno-Adriatico earlier this year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
That's not a head ****, O'Grady's elbowing him, its so obvious! You must not know what to look for. Or at least that's how McEwen explained it after the stage. :D

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Nick C. said:
That's not a head ****, O'Grady's elbowing him, its so obvious! You must not know what to look for. Or at least that's how McEwen explained it after the stage. :D

You're right, Robbie is trying to cuddle with him.:rolleyes: And Tom Steels used to throw water bottles cuz he didn't want his rivals to be dehydrated.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mistahsinclair said:
What's Robbie going to say???

"My goal for next season is to have my a$$ spanked and handed to me week in week out for the entire year!"

Whether he can beat the other top sprinters or not doesn't matter. He's got to believe it (or at least say it) otherwise there would be no point in racing.

Mistah:

Actually a really good point, but the flip side is that it becomes bulletin board material for Cav. You being from Louisiana, it'd be like Les telling Urban he's gonna spank the Gator's a$$ in Tigah Stadium this year. We all hope it's gonna happen (GEAUX), but you may want to keep it to yourself. :D

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
No one is smarter than McEwan when things are messy. Cav needs a delivery to the line and would be lost without it. Lets see them mix it up without a train.

I'll say just one thing - 2009 Milan-San Remo ;)

Were you as amazed as I was at his finish there?

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Maybe Robbie could utilize his famous headbutt move to beat Cav.

THANK YOU for linking to the famous 'Stuey and Robbie' sprint foto from a few years ago.

I agree with you, that must be what Robbie has planned for the Cav.

As long as we get a few train derailments (figuratively, not literally) in the future, I'll be happy. Columbia winning just about every sprint is getting boring.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
No one is smarter than McEwan when things are messy. Cav needs a delivery to the line and would be lost without it. Lets see them mix it up without a train.
Actually, look at Cav's 2007 wins and you'll see he actually began winning without any sort of train. He only had Hammond looking after him.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Much has been made of Cav's train but that has been a recent development. IE when it became obvious he was the best sprinter by far so it became Columbia's duty to chase breaks etc and he had earned the right to have one.

Prior to that it was his incredible kick and ability to read situations that caught the eye. He seemed an absolute natural and although he may not have been quite at McEwen's best level at that point, he was only 23 and way ahead of McEwen at the same age.

Unless something drastic happens to Cav in a sprint I've seen no evidence recently to suggest that McEwen can beat him. If Cav does have an off day it will be someone else who beats him.

Part of me wishes he did have more rivals but then after years of watching, it's nice to finally see a Brit winning!

It's a shame we won't see Cav going head to head against Greipel... at least when they're on the same team. Greipel took him on one stage of the Giro last year and unfortunately they haven't been allowed to play together since.

TRENDING THREADS