• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

portugal11 said:
French riders are so overrated nowadays... he was beaten by galopin, izaguirre. And these guys aren't climbers at all. He won't make a top 10 in le tour.

I think it's more accurate to say that we currently have a generation of young French riders -- Bardet, Pinot, Barguil, Gallopin, Bouhanni, Demare -- who all seem to have the potential to do great things but have yet to take that big step onto the top tier of their specialization. Actually, I think Bouhanni has already taken that step: as of this spring he seems to be one of the 2 or 3 best, if not the best, road sprinter out there. But the question of whether Bardet or Barguil or Pinot will ever become a top-top stage racer is still TBD. For my money Pinot is still the stage racer with the most potential. He's had a string of top placings and stage wins, and every year he improves at something: last year it was summit finishes, this year it's time trials. I like Bardet, but I have a harder time imagining him getting beyond 5th or 6th at the Tour.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Much as I love the lad, I have a hard time imagining him improving sufficiently in the ITT to be a regular podium GT rider... but one can live in hope.

Agree, but with recents changes in GT-routes, it more or less comes down to how well you climb... but Pinot is for sure the better bet to win the TdF one day for the French, no doubt.

Too bad he isn't attending Pais Vasco. Its a really good race for him, but it seems he prefers Trentino as a build up for the Ardennes?

Re:

CTQ said:
from CyclingQuotes

"Yesterday I really wanted to do my best (despite the gastroenteritis he has suffered from, ed.),” Romain Bardet said. “I still had a bad night. Today I did not have much left. If I had not joined the break at the beginning, I would have stopped in the first feed zone.”

Read more at http://cyclingquotes.com/news/reactions_from_the_final_stage_of_the_tour_de_romandie/#7pdl8J0uAJ3TsU2A.99

Thanks for that. He seems to suffer gut issues...he had them in the Tour last year.

Re: Re:

armchairclimber said:
CTQ said:
from CyclingQuotes

"Yesterday I really wanted to do my best (despite the gastroenteritis he has suffered from, ed.),” Romain Bardet said. “I still had a bad night. Today I did not have much left. If I had not joined the break at the beginning, I would have stopped in the first feed zone.”

Read more at http://cyclingquotes.com/news/reactions_from_the_final_stage_of_the_tour_de_romandie/#7pdl8J0uAJ3TsU2A.99

Thanks for that. He seems to suffer gut issues...he had them in the Tour last year.

Not the best issue to have as a cyclist. Still shows he is a fighter. He should get back to a good level soon enough

He was never going to do Pinot for pace in the finish... he might have had more success working with him until 500m to go and launching a long attack. Lack of confidence rather than lack of brains I suspect. Still, if Pinot had popped when Bardet made his injudicious looking move, we'd be saying something different.
He's always prepared to attack though, for that he can have the kudos.

Pure love.
sptdw5049_670.jpg

Fan since 2014, that Tour made me choose between Pinot and Bardet.. and Bardet it was.

Bardet is always skinny, but he looked spectacularly skinny yesterday I noticed. I wonder if he will take another step in this year's Tour, I certainly hope he will. Aggressive and good looking on the bike.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Valv.Piti said:
Fan since 2014, that Tour made me choose between Pinot and Bardet.. and Bardet it was.

Bardet is always skinny, but he looked spectacularly skinny yesterday I noticed. I wonder if he will take another step in this year's Tour, I certainly hope he will. Aggressive and good looking on the bike.

Not just on the bike :p

He should get his teeth checked though, otherwise someday his dents jeune will be accompanied (hopefully) by a maillot jeune. :D

TRENDING THREADS