• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Tonton said:
Great week, and well-deserved podium. I like him: he's really entertaining. Now for stage 6, he was too greedy, wanting both the stage and the jersey. Applause. Bravo Romain!
You're just happy about the fact that his 2nd place will take some pressure/attention away from Pinot. :D

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I think if he had pressed on, not attacked Pinot and accepted second place on the stage, he would have saved the 21 seconds needed to surpass Froome.

I think his DS should have given him this advice when they were clear from the break.

Agree with the last two posts: I like my Tibopino to stay in the shadows and comes July, strike like a cobra :cool: .

I also agree that his DS should have given him advice. He almost pulled a Talansky.

Too late for regrets. Romain mixed it up with the big boys and leaves the CdD with honors. Comes July, the first two weeks when the big guys watch each other, Balaphilippe and Bardet may lit the thing up and take advantage of opportunities. I'm convinced (and it has happened in the past) that one can be in a break, gain time, be in yellow comes stage 12 or so, and podium or top-5 in Paris.

In the after-stage interview, he «silently» admitted he screwed up.
Shame said:
I think if he had pressed on, not attacked Pinot and accepted second place on the stage, he would have saved the 21 seconds needed to surpass Froome.

I think his DS should have given him this advice when they were clear from the break.

Re:

jens_attacks said:
one of my top 5 favourite riders right now. maybe top 3

allez!

Certainly when he pulls off these gutsy rides. That's just great and when he's also able improve his form coming July then he will play a role in GC. Certainly when he start attacking during descents again.

Somehow I don't think he will be able to follow the big guns like he did during the Dauphine. I hope he surprises me.

Having just watched the Dauphinine, Bardet looks strong especially when he stayed with Froome, Contador and Porte, but he blew a chance at the leaders jersey by mucking about, to me the strongest French rider at the moment, better than Pinot, could even Podium the tour.

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I am not sure if I liked what I saw from Bardet in the dauphine, not sure he has the strength or team to win a tour right now, and he definitely does not have the tactics because instead of riding to the line he wasted time trying to beat pinot and he ended up losing jersey and stage.

So what do we expect of Bardet for the Tour? Did he peak too early?

If he's able to improve like the big GC riders most likely will then he's going to be a very interesting rider. Specially with the descent finishes or attacking on descents with teammates in the break etc.

Re:

staubsauger said:
The fact everyone immediately reacted to Romain's attack shows they're seeing him as a dangerman and true opponent somehow. Otherwise there's no need to not let him gain a few seconds before the Pyrenees.

Nobody is going to let a young guy with two top 10s just ride away and gain time, at least not while all of the GC riders are still on the same time. It doesn't necessarily mean that anyone thinks that Bardet is a serious threat, it just means that he is enough of a threat for them to exercise basic caution. After all, he should still be improving, given his age, so nobody will risk the possibility that he has taken a big step forward.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
I'm sure he will unleash some fire in the stage to Le Lioran.
Sound like he dislikes Cance. He stressed difference between young generation and...the other generation, but picks Sagan out similar to Cance.

Anyway, I've liked Pinot more but recentyl I really begin to like Bardet more. They both are likeable though.

TRENDING THREADS