• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Alexandre B. said:
DSQ at Paris-Nice.

That's a really huge blow for him, and I don't think he´ll be eligible for Tirreno. That might force him to race Catalunya.
I'm sure the decision is made in good faith. Bardet should accept it in the same spirit and head to Italy.

Well, Tirreno is out of the question since it starts before PN would end, meaning he isn't eligible like Alexandre said. Being DQ'ed probably won't count as an exception to that rule.

I really like Bardet, but I'm glad with the decision; this was a very clear violation.

If so he should switch to T-A. Otherwise he hopefully does an altitude camp, races Catalunya for the rhythm and properly peaks for Basque Country afterwards!

Correct decision as well imho. Surprised it was really taken. But as much as I like Bardet this behavior ain't acceptable if visibly proven. Nice to see though that both he and Lavenu immediately admit their error!

The jury was rigorous. Bardet isn't the only one suffering consequences. With that kind of determination it was hard to expect forgiveness.
It's a pity Bardet's violation served as an exemplar case, he's really nice guy, but when the line needs to be drawn - there can't be a let off.
Tirreno, if it's possible, would be a good substitute.

"We made a mistake due to the fact we weren't thinking straight at a key moment in the stage, mainly as a result of my crash and the circumstances of a fantastic and animated stage," Bardet said. "I am deeply sorry for my actions because nothing justifies taking advantage of the extensive assistance I received from the team car for mechanical repairs."

Usually you get lies, rationalizations, and excuses. I already liked him but I'm more of a fan now. Good for him for owning it.

Good to see that he was honest even though the decision was a harsh one. I'm not saying it was wrong but we have seen riders getting away with even more than that. So maybe he had to take the bullet for others not to make these kind mistakes again but I'm glad so see him owning it.

Bardet had no choice but be honest and own it: the entire time, the French TV focused on him, it was there for all to see. So I don't give him a badge of honor, but I understand his explanation: falling with 22 km to go, in panic mode, anybody can make bad decisions...

As far as I'm concerned the page is turned. Pais Vasco? He'll do something special there. I hope so. Bardet needed a spark after a disappointing beginning of his season. It may be it, in some weird way. Now he will have a chip on his shoulder. He'll come back swinging.

Now to sir fly point, race officials blew it at Omloop: they chickened out. Hopefully, the refs in PN will inspire all race officials: no one should be a sacred cow.

Let's not confuse what happened to Bardet today with sticky bottles or mechanicals. It is just different. Some drafting still be allowed just not in that situation. Besides it was more on the blatant side than the acceptable side.

Having said that I liked how he handled it. Sad that it had to be him. Nice guy!!

Tonton said:
Bardet had no choice but be honest and own it: the entire time, the French TV focused on him, it was there for all to see. So I don't give him a badge of honor, but I understand his explanation: falling with 22 km to go, in panic mode, anybody can make bad decisions...

I can't help but thinking that maybe this showcased the disadvantages of being the "local darling". French TV sure did focus a lot on him, while completely ignoring the other guy who'd crashed; a guy who's a two-times winner of the race.

bardet_tow.jpg~original

TRENDING THREADS