• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

samhocking said:
When Froome's spoke broke, AG2R had 6 domestiques. By 6 minutes left to climb for Bardet 'all' AG2R domestiques had been used up. That is not riding a moderate tempo in my racing manual.

When Froome and Landa made the junction there were Bardet + 3 teammates in the group. That is riding not so hard tempo, when you suppose to go flat out, in my racing manual

It never looked like they were going full gas to benefit from his puncture either. If Froome wins this Tour he mainly does so because everybody more or less played gentleman whenever he or his material controversially failed. Ain't nobody waited for Pantani at Oropa!

Oliver Naesen saved the day. Pfiou.
DFB3jABXkAEHBIM.jpg

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Bardet can indeed buy Naesen a glass tonight : without him all well laid plans would lay in waste and he would have lost 50 seconds, ie fighting an uphill battle for the podium instead of having a chance to win it all.

Naesen is very, very strong. They should use him more often in the mountain stages as well. He's fully capable of surviving long in the breakaway and still pulling Bardet later on. It was he that made sure the gap with Froome was big on the Sunday stage - his other teammates (and Bardet himself) made no use of it though (something I still don't understand).

Re:

veji11 said:
Bardet can indeed buy Naesen a glass tonight: without him all well laid plans would lay in waste and he would have lost 50 seconds, ie fighting an uphill battle for the podium instead of having a chance to win it all.

It might be smarter to wait until Paris... not saying that a single glass would compromise Naesen's ability to ride, but better not risk it.
Unless of course you're actually referring to a glass, rather than the content - which I presume would be some kind of wine - in said glass.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Their racing was good...it's what they didn't do once Froome had his puncture that was the only issue.

What they didn't do was stop, I fail to see how that's an issue.

Failing to stop is the issue you have?

Politely tell Sky to get lost.

Nobody should be helping Chris Froome and Sky.

When will people understand that this is a race and you need to win it?

You misunderstood a very clear point.

I clearly stated, that once Froome punctured, what did they do? They continued on and I made it very clear they should have matched his pace up the ascent and broken him. That is what they did not do. They did not go for the knockout punch.

They clearly need it! Froome is not going to be easy to beat. Sky hand you a clear advantage, you use it.

We'll see today how it goes...

My point was simple, Bardet and AG2R have shown last year and this year that they have the capacity as racers to make moves stick that split and push their rivals, including Sky (who are exceptionally strong as a team). When that happens, if the domestiques cannot push a pace on the mountain that ensures their gap, then the GC captain has to make the move work himself.

The worst that occurs is he doesn't make it work and drops back to his domestiques. Froome had none except Landa. Landa would just mark Bardet and if Froome did lose lots of time, would arguably attack the attacker. But until that happens, he will likely sit back and just follow wheels. The best thing he could do (Landa) in that scenario for rivals would be to fully stop and hold Froome's hand.

Movistar orchestrated a move like that in 2015 and Quintana hit Froome hard. Except it was way too late in the race. The earlier it is in the race and more catchup Sky and Froome have to do is a win win scenario for the rival who makes it work.

Why?

Sky and Froome are use to holding onto yellow. They know, few want and will challenge them. That allows them to control racing. I believe Froome was scared then. But he held on.

I am going to be really frank and honest here. If none of the 3 major rivals make a move on Froome and each other, then they simply don't want to win the Tour.

And they honestly, don't deserve to. Yes be patient, but when the opportunity presents itself, use it. Or make your own move and plan it out. Winning the Tour de France is worth it.

Right TonTon? Surely the French can mount something...AG2R look like they've got plans for specific sections of the race...light it up and burn then mountain down fellas! Let her rip!!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Naesen is already a star. Chapeau, Ollie! And Bardet, if you wanna win this race, its tomorrow. No more hiding behind 6 teammates, please..

This here.

No leaving it to the last mountain stage. Use today.

Absolutely blow it apart and burn everything. Worst scenario is you lose. Good scenario is you blow Froome apart but Landa stays with you or Aru/Uran beat you. Best scenario is Bardet gets time on everyone.

Going to say; Dan Martin unfortunately, probably won't be making big moves...unless he gets better pronto.

Dan has more balls than the rest of the GC riders combined. Huge cajones.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
"AG2R La Mondiale manager Vincent Lavenu dismissed the idea that the pretenders to the maillot jaune, Bardet included, would ride conservatively on the first Alpine stage in order to spare themselves for the demanding haul up the Izoard. "You can't wait," Lavenu said. "If there's an opportunity, you have to take it."

Good job. Tell Bardet to have a good crack. It makes him look awesome and will work. Go today and go again the next day.

Re: Re:

Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:
Naesen is already a star. Chapeau, Ollie! And Bardet, if you wanna win this race, its tomorrow. No more hiding behind 6 teammates, please..

This here.

Absolutely blow it apart and burn everything. Worst scenario is you lose. Good scenario is you blow Froome apart but Landa stays with you or Aru/Uran beat you. Best scenario is Bardet gets time on everyone.

Going to say; Dan Martin unfortunately, probably won't be making big moves...unless he gets better pronto.

Martin has been impressive riding injured since the crash. Anyone can be caught out in cross winds and that was unfortunate but he will keep trying. Bardet has to try something but he also has to be wary of tomorrow's stage. Uran could be the winner in all of this by sitting back constantly but tomorrow even Uran has to try something with the TT still to come.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Galic Ho said:
Valv.Piti said:

This here.

Martin has been impressive riding injured since the crash. Anyone can be caught out in cross winds and that was unfortunate but he will keep trying. Bardet has to try something but he also has to be wary of tomorrow's stage. Uran could be the winner in all of this by sitting back constantly but tomorrow even Uran has to try something with the TT still to come.

Bardet surprisingly has the strongest team after Sky.

Aru looked when he was in yellow, to be absolutely trolling Froome. My perspective was that he made Froome do the work for him. Losing yellow, whilst maybe it was a racing mistake, I think it's more likely was deliberate and intentional to drop the heat off Astana.

Vino and Astana have got some moves to do.

Same with Bardet and AG2R. AG2R have more guns to fire from though.

Uran and Cannondale - I said earlier in the race, that they should stage hunt and decide who was their GC boy. Well, they've actually got a really highly placed GC boy.

Let's remember last year. Bauke Mollema was in second on GC for most of the race. Dropped way down on one day. I don't think Contador or Quintana are going to launch a surprise attack...unless a miracle occurs.

No, I think it's down to Aru and Bardet.

Both need about 1:30 on Froome for the time trial. They have 3 days to get that time. 2 mountain days and a flat stage...time to go and attack.

hrotha said:
Alexandre B. said:
Romain irritated on French TV because of the climbing version of Simon Gerrans.
You're going to have to narrow it down a bit.

I know it's Urán, but still.

It is....u and ran

He is clever. Out of radar.
He is clever. Sprint or drag.
May be... it is U and ran to wear the yellow in paris.

22km ITT. You will see.... Bardet need a long long long hand to reach yellow jersey now...
At 2 moments, yellow is on his reach. Aru spoil the first chance and then himself..

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Bardet has no reason to be angry at Urán really, its up to Bardet and Ag2R to win this race. Urán can follow and pull pull a rabbit in the TT, 2014 style. Bardet can't and is the bigger rider who is expected to do something
Jean-Christophe Péraud wasn't an exciting rider, was probably one of the weakest 2nd in history, but he did attack uphill.

I'm still waiting (even hoping) for Uran.

TRENDING THREADS