• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
I just read his post race comments and one of the things he said: "I made a choice not to focus on the time trial because it’s not the way I like to ride. Going out to train on my time trial bike is a little bit boring for me." IMO, that's unprofessional.

I like Roman Bardet but this disappoints me. I like riding my road bike better as well but if you don't force yourself into that position a lot you will never get used to it. Not every bit of training is meant to be fun. Hopefully this is a wake up call and he straps himself into a TT bike all winter or he will never win a GT.

He is a much better climber than Dumo but say they throw 60 or 70 k of time trials in the Tour next year. What would that be, 6-7 minutes off the top of my head, is he that much better? Forget about Froome, he will have trouble with Dumo.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Everything seems wrong about Bardet's TT position honestly.

Bardet's position is not good and in general in recent times,apart from Peraud who had a mountain biking background and Christian Moreau sometimes, the French have had trouble producing GC riders who can also time trial. 30 years ago it didn't seem to be a problem. Bardet's upper body moves too much and he just looks awkward on the bike. Quintana looks much smoother, as do most of the GC top 10. It definitely seems to be a weakness in French road racing. Maybe some coaching changes ?

I think, bardet and ag2r had done their best. Opponents just over-estimate his ability, never give a chance to move.
Another problem is "strong guys are dropped, sky focus on Bardet.

If Contador and Porte are there, race dynamics will be totally different.

I think Bardet's time trial yesterday was awful. The poor time was a result of poor pacing, poor position on the bike, possibly wrong gearing, lack of intimacy with the course and approaching it with an 'it'll be all right on the night' attitude. He should not have lost that amount of time to all his rivals yesterday.

A fair portion of the blame for that must lie with the team. If they want GC riders, they need to push the rider to train for TT's and monitor the results. They need to provide accurate and correct advice with regards to pacing both pre-TT and during-TT. They need to be very familiar with the course in important TT's. I am not sure if any of the above were done by AG2R.

The last two GT's were decided by TT's. If Bardet and AG2R will not step up to the plate, other teams will happily do so.

He completely choked yesterday, not quite as bad as Rasmussen, but not far off either. He never found his rhythm and he looked wobbly in most of the corners. I hold no grudge against him, but after listening to the Marseille crowd (some oh which also booed Uran I believe) I would have loved if he had lost the podium to Landa.

Re: Re:

kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:
But it's not Bardet's fault that the crowd booed. In fact, he told people to stop.
I know it's not his fault. Dropping from 3rd would be a disappointment, but as he was 2nd already last year, I think he'd get over it soon, which is why I think it would have been worth it, just to spite the crowd.

I just don't see the point in wishing misfortune on one guy, to spite other people.

RedheadDane said:
kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:
But it's not Bardet's fault that the crowd booed. In fact, he told people to stop.
I know it's not his fault. Dropping from 3rd would be a disappointment, but as he was 2nd already last year, I think he'd get over it soon, which is why I think it would have been worth it, just to spite the crowd.

I just don't see the point in wishing misfortune on one guy, to spite other people.
For me, the one outweighs the other in this case, that's all there is to it. I don't think it's such a big misfortune for Bardet, although he will understandably not share that sentiment. Misfortune is a bit of an odd term anyway, as it was simply a lack of ability that got him into trouble.

kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:
kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:

For me, the one outweighs the other in this case, that's all there is to it. I don't think it's such a big misfortune for Bardet, although he will understandably not share that sentiment. Misfortune is a bit of an odd term anyway, as it was simply a lack of ability that got him into trouble.

Of course he won't be too upset.
But I just think the "The crowd booed, so Bardet should lose his podium" way of thinking is kinda odd...

RedheadDane said:
kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:
kingjr said:
RedheadDane said:

Of course he won't be too upset.
But I just think the "The crowd booed, so Bardet should lose his podium" way of thinking is kinda odd...
I don't see a better way to punch those fans in the face.

clydesdale said:
jmdirt said:
I just read his post race comments and one of the things he said: "I made a choice not to focus on the time trial because it’s not the way I like to ride. Going out to train on my time trial bike is a little bit boring for me." IMO, that's unprofessional.

I like Roman Bardet but this disappoints me. I like riding my road bike better as well but if you don't force yourself into that position a lot you will never get used to it. Not every bit of training is meant to be fun. Hopefully this is a wake up call and he straps himself into a TT bike all winter or he will never win a GT.

He is a much better climber than Dumo but say they throw 60 or 70 k of time trials in the Tour next year. What would that be, 6-7 minutes off the top of my head, is he that much better? Forget about Froome, he will have trouble with Dumo.

average watts if all cyclists are 67kg model, Bardet in Tour 409, Dumoulin in giro 407.
I know the model is faulty, but in relative performances there is not much difference

Dekker_Tifosi said:
clydesdale said:
jmdirt said:

average watts if all cyclists are 67kg model, Bardet in Tour 409, Dumoulin in giro 407.
I know the model is faulty, but in relative performances there is not much difference
I'd want to know which climbs are included, because this would probably have Dumoulin as better than Bardet because bigger riders need a lower normalized power output.

Here you have it, courtesy chronoswatts, Fred Portoleau, Giro and Tour 2017 main climbs:

giro-2017-tab-recap.png

tour-fred-resize.jpg

Re:

wirral said:
A fair portion of the blame for that must lie with the team. If they want GC riders, they need to push the rider to train for TT's and monitor the results. They need to provide accurate and correct advice with regards to pacing both pre-TT and during-TT. They need to be very familiar with the course in important TT's. I am not sure if any of the above were done by AG2R.

When Roche left AG2R after the 2012 season, he said that one of his frustrations was that the team refused to give him a TT bike to train on. No idea whether this is still the case, but yesterday surely must be a wake-up call for the team. No point in managing a stalemate against Sky in the mountains if you're going to lose 2 mins in 22km.

For the ITT bikes, it's only since '15 that FDJ gives one for the riders to keep at home and train on. In RB's case, according to his interview,he has one but doesn't like to train on it. Well, lesson learned...but this ITT shouldn't define Romain Bardet's '17 TdF.

48 hours ago, he was a half-God, and now he's a bum...come on :) . The truth is in the middle, and the factis that Bardet had a great Tour. A HUGE stage win, and he confirmed last year's result with another podium.

The 20-second penalty? I read that Romain got a drink from a spectator, which is not forbidden, whereas it was at first thought that Uran got his bottle from his team, which is not allowed. I didn't dig deeper, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the public (I won't call them fans), there're id**ts everywhere. Having lived and visited many countries, I can tell you that the ratio of id**ots is the same regardless of citizenship, race, religion...it's universal.

So my bottom line is: a brilliant performance overall. Romain's Tour was a success.

I understand you want to defend him. But talking about winning the Tour but finding training on an ITT bike 'too boring' is pretty mind boggling.
Also the team then shows a real lack of understanding. I would almost say typical French...

If you know how much time teams like Sky, Sunweb or Movistar invest in time trialling and the bikes..

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I understand you want to defend him. But talking about winning the Tour but finding training on an ITT bike 'too boring' is pretty mind boggling.
Also the team then shows a real lack of understanding. I would almost say typical French...

If you know how much time teams like Sky, Sunweb or Movistar invest in time trialling and the bikes..
I completely agree with you, and I reposted that June 7 exchange with Alexandre...it bit him in the rear.

For the team thing, not typical French, but universal IMO: teams have been afraid to challenge the dominant squad since the USPS days. Movistar is a great example of that. Other factors, i.e. radios may have also participated in the dumbing down of cycling. The last remaining art is to set up echelons. DS can't set up, or lack confidence in setting up long range attacks. It's a lot of small moves, last km stuff, nothing big...