• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Romain Sicard arrested

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stupid to use a car for this. The proper way is to walk naked and pick up a traffic sign with you, and then the morning after, wake up next to the sign.

Really hope though he gets fully back to training and arrests don't become a habit.

craig1985 said:
Andy Schleck, Stuart O'Grady...

Adding to the list of cyclists making terrible decisions under the influence, David Clinger has to take 1st prize.

david_clinger.jpg

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Everyone does stupid things when they're young. I think athletes put this off a few years, because of the rigorous life style. So it does seem they are acting the prat a bit, when really the behaviour isn't that strange by the standards of any 18 year old or "fresher" at university.

Admittedly there are a lot of nutters in professional sport also.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
probably pascal richard was above them all lol

He had shots for everything including his penis which he injected for 4 hour erections. Drugs were definitely ruling his life but that was the scene. He lived a rock star life and he liked sleeping with 14 different girls during the Giro, having a mistress, and a wife.

also grabovskyy,terrible talent almost killed by vodka and i think coke.

“After some disappointments with Quick Step, I took the wrong road,” Grabovskyy told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “I was bored and after training, I would go to parties and drink. Twice I nearly died from drinking so much. I drank vodka, but never took drugs.”

mattia gavazzi is a coke addict since his youth also

Whatever happened to Grabovskyy?

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Whatever happened to Grabovskyy?

He approved himself a rising star way too early, it's a common problem with young sportsmen from the post-soviet countries: achieving some results in young age many of them overrate their real level, don't want to improve, choosing nightclub life, drink, drugs etc and then recognising their mistakes they do the same but this time because of depression.
Grabovskyy is the one who wasted his natural talent because of the alcohol.

Sicard has posted an open letter of apology on the Fundación's site in both Spanish and French. It isn't exactly anything groundbreaking, more your usual kind of "I accept responsibility for behaving like an idiot and hope that we can move on from here" post-mistake press release.

Here's the original for those that are interested:

Durante la noche del miércoles al jueves de esta semana, depués de una cena con amigos, tuve un comportamiento inmaduro e irresponsable. Quiero pedir disculpas a todas las personas que confían en mi y que me han mostrado su apoyo: mi familia, los aficionados; además de a los jóvenes seguidores por el mal ejemplo que les he dado. Por último, pido disculpas especialmente a mi equipo, a los patrocinadores, al staff y a mis compañeros por el daño que les he hecho dando una imagen tan mala y tan lejos de los principios defendidos por el grupo Euskaltel Euskadi. He tomado severa consciencia de la necesidad de tener un comportamiento impecable, miro hacia el futuro y espero, centrándome en el rendimiento deportivo, hacer olvidar este episodio.

Lors de la nuit de mercredi a jeudi a l' occasion d' une soirée entre amis j'ai fait preuve d' un comportement immature et irresponsable. Je tiens à presenter mes excuses à toutes les personnes qui me font confiance et m'ont apporté leur soutien: ma famille, les supporters; auprès des jeunes pour le mauvais exemple que je leur ai donné. Enfin je m' excuse tout particulièrement aupres de l' ensemble de l' équipe, les sponsors, le staff ainsi que mes équipiers pour le préjudice que je leur fais subir en vehiculant une si mauvaise image et tellement eloignée des principes que défend le groupe Euskaltel Euskadi. J' ai pris conscience de la nécessité d' avoir un comportement irréprochable, je me tourne vers l'avenir et espère grâce à mon engagement sportif vous faire oublier cet épisode.

http://www.fundacioneuskadi.com/pag...r=1&ocultarp=1&Id=2822&cboanyo=2011&cbomes=11

Libertine Seguros said:
Sicard has posted an open letter of apology on the Fundación's site in both Spanish and French. It isn't exactly anything groundbreaking, more your usual kind of "I accept responsibility for behaving like an idiot and hope that we can move on from here" post-mistake press release.

Here's the original for those that are interested:

Durante la noche del miércoles al jueves de esta semana, depués de una cena con amigos, tuve un comportamiento inmaduro e irresponsable. Quiero pedir disculpas a todas las personas que confían en mi y que me han mostrado su apoyo: mi familia, los aficionados; además de a los jóvenes seguidores por el mal ejemplo que les he dado. Por último, pido disculpas especialmente a mi equipo, a los patrocinadores, al staff y a mis compañeros por el daño que les he hecho dando una imagen tan mala y tan lejos de los principios defendidos por el grupo Euskaltel Euskadi. He tomado severa consciencia de la necesidad de tener un comportamiento impecable, miro hacia el futuro y espero, centrándome en el rendimiento deportivo, hacer olvidar este episodio.

Lors de la nuit de mercredi a jeudi a l' occasion d' une soirée entre amis j'ai fait preuve d' un comportement immature et irresponsable. Je tiens à presenter mes excuses à toutes les personnes qui me font confiance et m'ont apporté leur soutien: ma famille, les supporters; auprès des jeunes pour le mauvais exemple que je leur ai donné. Enfin je m' excuse tout particulièrement aupres de l' ensemble de l' équipe, les sponsors, le staff ainsi que mes équipiers pour le préjudice que je leur fais subir en vehiculant une si mauvaise image et tellement eloignée des principes que défend le groupe Euskaltel Euskadi. J' ai pris conscience de la nécessité d' avoir un comportement irréprochable, je me tourne vers l'avenir et espère grâce à mon engagement sportif vous faire oublier cet épisode.

http://www.fundacioneuskadi.com/pag...r=1&ocultarp=1&Id=2822&cboanyo=2011&cbomes=11

Thanks for this. My French isn't great but it does sound if he is genuinely embarrassed by the whole episode.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Kvinto said:
He approved himself a rising star way too early, it's a common problem with young sportsmen from the post-soviet countries: achieving some results in young age many of them overrate their real level, don't want to improve, choosing nightclub life, drink, drugs etc and then recognising their mistakes they do the same but this time because of depression.
Grabovskyy is the one who wasted his natural talent because of the alcohol.

I was reading an interview with him a couple of years ago (or it was last year IIRC) and he said the biggest problem for him was that at his cycling/sports school (I think sports school is more accurate, right?) where he would train in the morning, do schoolwork, and then hit the rollers later, every single day, so when he moved to Italy to race as a u-23, and later when he turned pro for Quick Step he would train in the morning, and come home and be completely bored because he is so used to training so much as a junior, but doesn't need to do that as a pro.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I was reading an interview with him a couple of years ago (or it was last year IIRC) and he said the biggest problem for him was that at his cycling/sports school (I think sports school is more accurate, right?) where he would train in the morning, do schoolwork, and then hit the rollers later, every single day, so when he moved to Italy to race as a u-23, and later when he turned pro for Quick Step he would train in the morning, and come home and be completely bored because he is so used to training so much as a junior, but doesn't need to do that as a pro.

True.

As Grabovskyy says himself his problems started immediately after he came to QuickStep in 2007 (in fact he was signed at the end of 2006 but since that moment and till the end of season the only races he participated in were the Worlds in Salzburg). So, after just two days in Belgium he was involved in a car accident and injured his back, which cost him a season. Then in 2008, as he says, he was scheduled for RVV and PR but in the end was replaced and then after Dauphine he was promised the Tour participation, but wasn't taken to France which made him very upset once more.

You're right, being in a sport school he used to train twice a day and when he turned profesional he obtained loads of free time so taking into account his constant disappointment he started drinking.

His problems continued in 2009 when Dmytro signed with ISD–Neri where had tensions with Giovanni Visconti. Interesting story btw: as he says in interview it has started after Benevento stage (#18) of Giro. It was a stage for a breakaway and the huge break included both Grabovskyy and Visconti as well as Dmytro's training partner Yaroslav Popovych. Grabovskyy asked his directeur sportif Luca Scinto permission for going into attack with Popovych and Scinto had nothing against it (tbh this decision looks weird having Visconti in the group), but Scinto probably shared this information with Visconti, who had an eye to this stage too. Visconti decided to mark Popovych but recognizing that he is heavily marked and not wanting to hinder a friend Yaroslav didn't follow the move (so didn’t Visconti) but Scarponi, Devenyns, Gavazzi and several other riders joined the attack which led to Scarponi's second stage win at that Giro.

Year after he solved his alcohol problems and was given a second chance in ISD–Neri, he was pretty good at Tirreno winning the KOM and then in SanRemo (he made a long solo attack) and Turkey but in May he suffered a crash breaking his collarbone and rarely raced after that (in fact only Volta a Portugal in August).

Whole this year he spent in ISD continental, I read that he came back to track events and wanted to do the road Worlds in Copenhagen, but he did not. I have not heard anything else about him so far. To be honest, taking into account his form in the first half of 2010 (before the injury) he can still race on a decent level but due to his past mistakes he’ll never achieve what he was expected to.