• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde Van Vlaanderen 2012

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Flamin said:
I'm curious what their tactics will be. I'd say keep Chavanel in the waiting room as long as possible so he can assist Boonen on the flat when Cancellara has gone berserk on the Kwaremont and send Terpstra up the road instead. He can easily do a Vansummeren in a small group too.
That's what i'm also thinking (and previously posted in the predictions thread): Terpstra and Langeveld to go up the road while behind Tommeke/Canc cover each other's moves. Langeveld outsprints Terpstra, while Canc breaks away on the Paterberg but doesn't catch them. Tommeke wins the sprint for fourth. :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, Boonen never wins a race :rolleyes:

Quick, tell Simon Gerrans he didn't actually win Milan-San Remo!

can you actually read? in msr cancellara's opponent was the chasing group. they didn't win. last year it was chavanel in flanders and hushovd in roubaix and sunday will be boonen

:rolleyes:

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
can you actually read? in msr cancellara's opponent was the chasing group. they didn't win. last year it was chavanel in flanders and hushovd in roubaix and sunday will be boonen

:rolleyes:

Except you've cherry picked who you want to be his "opponents" to suit your point. In Roubaix and Flanders you've chosen the only favorite near him and in MSR you chose the group. If anything you would have been better to have used Nibali as the example in MSR since he was a pre-race favorite. Either way Chava and Gerrans proved that if Cance doesn't drop you right off he can be outsprinted.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Fans of the old circuit (with the Muur van Geraardsbergen) have threatened to lay drawing pins on the road. The threat is taken seriously and there will be huge safety measures. The mayor of Geraardsbergen has asked not to visit Oudenaarde on Sunday (April Fools' Day).

That's not a joke though, has been reported last week already.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
There's an article on the front page saying that Taylor Phinney isn't riding La Ronde. However, if you look at the start list, he's on it for BMC. So did someone else scratch?

Christ, Vaughters shirking any responsibility two days before the race.

"What is clear is that RadioShack and QuickStep, along with Liquigas, will need to take responsibility for the race. Our team, with Millar and Ramunas out with broken bones, will not be the one to assume control."

Garmin have the strongest team outside of QuickStep, and way stronger than Liquigas and RadioShack (in helpers).

Maaskant, Klier, Haussler, Farrar, Van Summeren all working for Vanmarcke. Liquigas have Oss to support Sagan :confused:

It's statements like that that make me want a team to fail. But Sep is there..

El Pistolero said:
Today Boonen reconned the new parcour of the Ronde. He dropped all his team-mates on the Paterberg and hap a gap of at least 30 seconds at the top :p

phil dropped his teammates too and put 5 minutes on them:p

Partis de Wanegem-Lede le matin, les BMC avaient accompli les premiers kilomètres en groupe. Puis, juste avant le Taaienberg, Philippe changeait de roue alors que ses équipiers continuaient tranquillement leur route. Remis en selle, le Liégeois revenait facilement sur le groupe dans le Taaienberg et décidait de forcer le rythme. C’était en quelque sorte le tournant de cette sortie. Car Gilbert venait, sans vraiment le vouloir, de lâcher tous les BMC… qu’il n’allait plus revoir de la journée ! Un moment, il demandera bien si ses potes étaient à 2 minutes ou à 5. Comme c’était plutôt 5, il ne se posa plus trop de questions et continua sur sa lancée. La sortie collective venait de virer au solitaire !

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/article/390298/gilbert-cartonne-a-l-entrainement.html

and we got the winner for this ronde it seems:D

jens_attacks said:
phil dropped his teammates too and put 5 minutes on them:p

Partis de Wanegem-Lede le matin, les BMC avaient accompli les premiers kilomètres en groupe. Puis, juste avant le Taaienberg, Philippe changeait de roue alors que ses équipiers continuaient tranquillement leur route. Remis en selle, le Liégeois revenait facilement sur le groupe dans le Taaienberg et décidait de forcer le rythme. C’était en quelque sorte le tournant de cette sortie. Car Gilbert venait, sans vraiment le vouloir, de lâcher tous les BMC… qu’il n’allait plus revoir de la journée ! Un moment, il demandera bien si ses potes étaient à 2 minutes ou à 5. Comme c’était plutôt 5, il ne se posa plus trop de questions et continua sur sa lancée. La sortie collective venait de virer au solitaire !

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/article/390298/gilbert-cartonne-a-l-entrainement.html

and we got the winner for this ronde it seems:D

BTW..... the day before he went out training with....... Davide Rebellin.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wiel...ert?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
What do people make of Phil Gil's chances? He hasnt looked great so far and has ruled himself out of winning Flanders due to his fitness. But, is it all a smokescreen? Surely he wants this race!

durhamwasp said:
What do people make of Phil Gil's chances? He hasnt looked great so far and has ruled himself out of winning Flanders due to his fitness. But, is it all a smokescreen? Surely he wants this race!

I think he's bluffing and actually will be in good shape but won't win anyway :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i saw also photos with phil,he looks in very good shape let's hope the endurance was also fixed this week.he will be there in the finale i'm sure

art_184972.jpg

Can't believe people actually think he looks fat. I think Phil will be ready now :eek:

He won't win the Ronde, but he's going to be a monster by the time the Ardennes start. :cool:

therhodeo said:
If anything you would have been better to have used Nibali as the example in MSR since he was a pre-race favorite.

I think Cancellara knew as soon as he reached the flats any moves Nibali could have made would have been hopeless ( going against the team plan as well to get Sagan the win in the scenario that played out ). The only way he could win M-SR was to annihilate people on the Poggio, then do more than he did on the descents ALONE.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Well, it seems to me that his teammates didn't try to go all out during that training ride. Gilbert was completely "dead" at the finish by his own words.

Gilbert has to go all out in his training now though :p

One week of hard training will do him good.