• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde van Vlaanderen: April 7th, 2019

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2019 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Bob Jungels

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Oliver Naesen

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wout van Aert

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Zdeněk Štybar

Votes: 35 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 18 14.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Hugo Koblet said:
I don't recall an edition as open as this one. When was the last time we had five equal favorites (Stybar, Van Avermaet, Van der Poel, Van Aert and Sagan) for a race of this magnitude? Can't wait.
I feel like Flanders is one that can just as easily go to someone from outside the top 5 favorites as often as not, though. Obviously you have the Boonen/Cancellara years in recent memory, but the history of the race has plenty of winners who you probably wouldn’t have considered (not for a cobbled classics anyway) at the start, or would have been well down the list; Cruquielion, Sorensen, Bugno, Argentin, Kristoff, Gilbert, etc.
Nuyens

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe
*** Van Aert, Politt, Naesen
** Matthews, Dagenkolb, Bettiol, Valgren, Jungels
* Trentin, Terpstra, Kristoff, Benoot, Gilbert, Moscon, EBH, Oss

This morning I was asking myself who could be the guy that goes into the early break and survives 'till the end and eventually competes for the win after being caught by a group of favorites. And this name came to my mind.

So, I am gonna be the first one to call it: Politt will win this bike race (with the influence of a few beers of course).

SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

This morning I was asking myself who could be the guy that goes into the early break and survives 'till the end and eventually competes for the win after being caught by a group of favorites. And this name came to my mind.

So, I am gonna be the first one to call it: Politt will win this bike race (with the influence of a few beers of course).

Van Politt will win this bike race is what I'm sure you meant to say

SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

Will Politt be riding drunk? And why would that increase his chances?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site

tobydawq said:
SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

He is German, therefore, beer is a legal boost for his body :)

tobydawq said:
SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

Maybe the whole race will be drunk and that might actually increase Politt's chances.

Anderis said:
tobydawq said:
SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

Maybe the whole race will be drunk and that might actually increase Politt's chances.
Hmmm... A German having an advantage of riding on beers against Belgians and Czech... No way.
It's just Semir'S call.

Looking at the races preceding De Ronde assures me we'll have a spectacular edition.
Team strengths vs. individual excellences... That's how I see it.

Re:

Only thing that is certain is that Quicksteppers not gonna win.. There's too much to handle this time.

I hope it's between Sagan, Van Aert and MvdP but guess some Stybar or Jungels can hit somewhere between them and drop one out.

Sagan downplays well and everybody is just doing that and saying that it's maybe bit too much for MvdP. But he is next Sagan and Boonen, next heavyweight superstar. Pity for van Avermaet and co. but that's life. :rolleyes:

Who will be in the early break? My guess:

Ramon Sinkeldam (Groupama)
Marco Haller (Katusha)
Kenneth Vanbilsen (Cofidis)
Stijn Steels (Roompot)
Edward Planckaert (Sport Vlaanderen)
Kenneth Van Rooy (Sport Vlaanderen)
Kris Boekmans (Vital Concept)
Jonas Van Genechten (Vital Concept)
Xandro Meurisse (Wanty)
Aimé De Gendt (Wanty)

memyselfandI said:
Only thing that is certain is that Quicksteppers not gonna win.. There's too much to handle this time.

I hope it's between Sagan, Van Aert and MvdP but guess some Stybar or Jungels can hit somewhere between them and drop one out.

Sagan downplays well and everybody is just doing that and saying that it's maybe bit too much for MvdP. But he is next Sagan and Boonen, next heavyweight superstar. Pity for van Avermaet and co. but that's life. :rolleyes:

I'm prepared to say that it's even more certain that a rider from Sport Vlaanderen will not win.

In fact, I think that it's probably the least certain thing you have stated as being the most certain thing...

I really hope you're right but it's definitely not certain...

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

Marco Haller (Katusha)
Stijn Steels (Roompot)
Xandro Meurisse (Wanty)
Aimé De Gendt (Wanty)

I doubt 3 teams will have 2 riders each in it

sir fly said:
Anderis said:
tobydawq said:
SemirS said:
Jancouver said:
***** Štybar, Sagan
**** GvA, MVP, Rowe

Hmmm... A German having an advantage of riding on beers against Belgians and Czech... No way.
It's just Semir'S call.
Politt is one of the heaviest riders out there so yes, he might have an advantage of riding on beers if we assume it's the same amount for everyone.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

Marco Haller (Katusha)
Stijn Steels (Roompot)
Xandro Meurisse (Wanty)
Aimé De Gendt (Wanty)

Maybe Movistar should try to get Castrillo in the break. Not sure how much he can really be helpful to Roelandts and Valverde in the main field. So why not send him up the road.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

Marco Haller (Katusha)
Stijn Steels (Roompot)
Xandro Meurisse (Wanty)
Aimé De Gendt (Wanty)
It will be an epic early break:
Anthony Turgis (Direct Energie)
Damien Gaudin (Direct Energie)
Imanol Erviti (Movistar)
Jasha Sutterlin (Movistar)
Bob Jungels (Deceuninck)
Kasper Asgreen (Deceuninck)
Tim Wellens (Lotto Soudal)
Juraj Sagan (BORA)
Silvan Dillier (AG2R)
Sep Vanmarcke (EF)
Alberto Bettiol (EF)
Lars Ytting Bak (Dimension Data)
Julien Vermote (Dimension Data)
Amund Grondahl Jansen (Jumbo)
Mike Teunissen (Jumbo)
Maarten Wynants (Jumbo)
Marco Haller (Katusha)
Nills Politt (Katusha)
Owain Doull (Sky)
Luke Rowe (Sky)
Ian Stannard (Sky)
Dylan van Baarle (Sky)
John Degenkolb (Trek)
Fernando Gaviria (UAE)
Mathieu Van der Poel (Corendon)
Stijn Devolder (Corendon)
Sjoerd Van Ginekken (Roompot)
Piet Allegaert (Sport Vlaanderen)
Benjamin Declercq (Sport Vlaanderen)
Aime de Gendt (Wanty)
Xandro Meurisse (Wanty)

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Someone with a 'Van' in his name will win this bike race. :cool:

I've just rewatched the 2014 race.

Four guys went to the finish together. Vancellara won ahead of Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke and Vandenbergh.

It also made me more positively inclined towards a GVA victory tomorrow. It was quite sad how he did not win that race (although the unfairness of that was majorly eclipsed by Chavanel's near-miracle three years earlier). I have to say he deserves a victory in this race even if he is not a favourite of mine (I don't really have anything against him, either). But he has a big problem with his team.

tobydawq said:
RedheadDane said:
Someone with a 'Van' in his name will win this bike race. :cool:

I've just rewatched the 2014 race.

Four guys went to the finish together. Vancellara won ahead of Van Avermaet, Vanmarcke and Vandenbergh.

It also made me more positively inclined towards a GVA victory tomorrow. It was quite sad how he did not win that race (although the unfairness of that was majorly eclipsed by Chavanel's near-miracle three years earlier). I have to say he deserves a victory in this race even if he is not a favourite of mine (I don't really have anything against him, either). But he has a big problem with his team.

:p

TRENDING THREADS