• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ronde van Vlaanderen: October 18th, 2020

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess the Gianni 'thing' came indeed with Bugno. I know some guys with a son named Fabian (born between 2010-2020). There were a lot of Eddy's in the early 70s.

Regarding the one-off sponsors: they want to squeeze out everything possible in this shortened season, look at Ineos Grenadier, EF education, now Elegance,... And rightly so. Teams have one chance/year to change design etc., no?

Reactions: Sandisfan
What do you think about Schachmann? He had a terrible day at LBL, but in shape, he could be really good. He is flying under the radar a bit.

I'm afraid the Lombardia car crash kind of wrecked his seasob. Yes, he may not have lost racing days but he may have overreached a bit in the Tour which resulted in him being subpar in the subsequent races (he was close to following the lead group in Imola, though). I don't have high expectations for him here.

Van Aert's team just went from bad to sh!t. Teunissen out due to illness.

View: https://twitter.com/MikeTeunissen/status/1317423767971352578

People of Italian extraction are the biggest immigrant group in Belgium and have been for decades. Lots of Belgians have an Italian parent or grandparent. Common migrant names also get normalised and adopted by the general population. You don’t have to link every cycling Gianni in Belgium to a particular ex pro!
Post WWII, a lot of immigrants came from Italy to work in coalmines. This was mainly in the 50's and 60's iirc, the country was recovering and there was a shortage of workers still wanting to go mining. But the initial immigration was limited to those regions in Belgium (the mines were not scattered around the country). This is how i remember it being told in school.

Last edited:
In the women's race Bastianelli and Vos will be missing. B's team is still not starting because of a corona case last week. Vos isn't feeling fit.

Van Aert's team just went from bad to sh!t. Teunissen out due to illness.
Van Aert and MvdP are individually the strongest, but now they might both be isolated in the final. The lack of a teammate can be a problem in the tactical part 35-20 km before the finish, especially when EQSt riders start attacking in turns.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Keram
People of Italian extraction are the biggest immigrant group in Belgium and have been for decades. Lots of Belgians have an Italian parent or grandparent. Common migrant names also get normalised and adopted by the general population. You don’t have to link every cycling Gianni in Belgium to a particular ex pro!
Or his parent(s) may have been fashionistas and into Versace...
More on topic, in a world where Kelderman can win the Giro, Sep Vanmarcke will win RvV. But in both cases, I expect something will conspire to prevent that from happening...

In the women's race Bastianelli and Vos will be missing. B's team is still not starting because of a corona case last week. Vos isn't feeling fit.

Van Aert and MvdP are individually the strongest, but now they might both be isolated in the final. The lack of a teammate can be a problem in the tactical part 35-20 km before the finish, especially when EQSt riders start attacking in turns.
I'm convinced Alpecin Fenix is now stronger than Jumbo. Vermeersch can stay with Mathieu far longer than anyone at Jumbo Visma can support Wout.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Ekh8sb9W0AAdAEw

Ekh8scQX0AEUDK-

Ekiz6tVXUAAytBs

Ekiz6tZWkAE6jAW

EkieJFkXUAAMus0

TRENDING THREADS