• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rujano can win this Giro, believes Savio

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
We haven't seen the last of him this Giro, that's for sure. His podium chance has probably faded, though.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but inconsistency has proven to be his weakness once again. Yesterday he was keeping pace with Contador, today he got passed by the likes of Menchov and Gadret.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
We haven't seen the last of him this Giro, that's for sure. His podium chance has probably faded, though.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but inconsistency has proven to be his weakness once again. Yesterday he was keeping pace with Contador, today he got passed by the likes of Menchov and Gadret.

Can't compare yesterday's climb to today tho.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I wasn't convinced by that profile ryo provided the other day.
The zoncolan is something else.

He didn't do bad. But certainly struggled.
Maybe the pace was too much.

Yes, not good is probably way too harsh as he finished 10th. He didn't look great even as the climb started but at one point with 4-5 to go I thought he would catch Menchov but he ended up losing more ground.

i don't know if it is just me but it's painfull to see rujanito climbing those 20-22% ramps.his position on the bike can't help him at all.so i think that he did pretty well.
tomorrow he will attack with purito on giau or marmolada.he won't give up,still can fight for a top 10.another stage win for sure.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
He has a chance but not a great one. The thing about cycling is that if everyone rides to win, someone can come back into it due to people forcing the leaders to work. The last time Rujano was on the podium, he lost a buttload of time in the time trial and made it all back in a break away. I believe he could win but only if he is allowed to bring back a lot of time a breakaway. Could. Just making the podium is a bit of a long shot. He has to go for broke one day if he is to have a chance.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
As always He was REALLY BAD positioned in the beggining of the climb... When I saw that I inmediatly thought "He is going to have a bad day..." But even in a bad day finishing 10th in the Zoncolan is something remarkable tho... but He couldnt limit his losses that much... I think that He has now a very nice shot at the top 10 but not podium unless He gets with Contador 2min more on the opposition today...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
As always He was REALLY BAD positioned in the beggining of the climb... When I saw that I inmediatly thought "He is going to have a bad day..." But even in a bad day finishing 10th in the Zoncolan is something remarkable tho... but He couldnt limit his losses that much... I think that He has now a very nice shot at the top 10 but not podium unless He gets with Contador 2min more on the opposition today...

Bad positioning aside, he went backwards once the race split up. He was with Nibbles at one stage.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:

He wasn't that badly positioned...

auscyclefan94 said:
He wasn't that badly positioned...

Indeed. Most of the climb he was infront of these guys:
6 John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Mikel Nieve Ituralde (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
8 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
9 Kanstantsin Sivtsov (Blr) HTC-Highroad

So it had nothing to do with poor positioning. He simply didn't do that fantastic yesterday. I wished he did better though :)

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Indeed. Most of the climb he was infront of these guys:
6 John Gadret (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
7 Mikel Nieve Ituralde (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
8 Hubert Dupont (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
9 Kanstantsin Sivtsov (Blr) HTC-Highroad

So it had nothing to do with poor positioning. He simply didn't do that fantastic yesterday. I wished he did better though :)

Like another poster mentioned, he paid for his previous efforts in gallantly keeping up with a guy who is in a class of his own. I think he just rode above himself in the previous two climbs but there is no-one who can stick with Bertie day in and day out on these sorts of climbs.

In answer to Mcknuckles....the war is already over and it was a massacre.