• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Running-thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aight, 5 days to the big day!

I have been working my ass off the last week after new year's eve, quite simply, I had to do it to be somewhat acceptable. Just been running and cycling every day and I am continuing until Thursday, whether that has been long runs, tempo runs, duathlon days, MTB or spinning. Just needed every bit of cardio I could get and I think the bike supplements running quite well. Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it, but felt super strong today when running (6,6 km at 4.45 - my Strava *** completely up today for some reason) without going that deep, really. Obviously it still hurts because its *** running. So thats great news. Today was meant for a recovery day anyways, but I cant handle such things...

Will update on Saturday. I expect a slow day since its on a very hilly route, so that should be exciting/extremely painfull.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Aight, 5 days to the big day!

I have been working my *** off the last week after new year's eve, quite simply, I had to do it to be somewhat acceptable. Just been running and cycling every day and I am continuing until Thursday, whether that has been long runs, tempo runs, duathlon days, MTB or spinning. Just needed every bit of cardio I could get and I think the bike supplements running quite well. Maybe this is the wrong way to go about it, but felt super strong today when running (6,6 km at 4.45 - my Strava **** completely up today for some reason) without going that deep, really. Obviously it still hurts because its **** running. So thats great news. Today was meant for a recovery day anyways, but I cant handle such things...

Will update on Saturday. I expect a slow day since its on a very hilly route, so that should be exciting/extremely painfull.
Do your worst, hon, make all of us former runners proud! :cool:

Will you at least be getting a t-shirt for your effort?

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
100 DKK, which is about 14 Euros or so.
That's roughly $16.50, that's not too bad. Here in Eugene the fee is usually $30+, but that includes a t-shirt if you really want to pay extra for it. Otherwise it's more like $20. (Plus maybe some chocolate [like in the Truffle Shuffle run], or some other little trinket as a reward for your suffering.)

Well, again, good luck!

21,1 km, 5.08 average pace with 508 vertical gain. Pretty amazing race considered what I had expected, ran with my friend the whole way. My Strava has been super unstable as of late, so thats pretty annoying as I didnt get to log the race. Dno if it was because the place was pretty isolated...?

Just ran progressively faster and faster today. Was nice, especially after last year's experience which was the other way around. Still tho, I take much more pleasure in a great cycling trip (maybe because I dont feel like its this hard?), but when its done its a great feeling.

Well done, V.P., well done! How many people were at the race?

I'll try to train very hard (yeah right) for the upcoming Bark in the Park run here in May, it's actually a fun/charity 5k run for the Humane Society where people's dogs are welcome to take part. So you can't really take it too seriously, but I'm sure there will still be a few runners who will. (God bless them, they just can't help themselves.)

I went for 1.43 on a half-marathon today on a completely flat route (it was a little windy and muddy though, so not super optimal still). Im pretty happy with that time considering I haven't run for a few weeks, just focusing on the bike and going for some decent rides. And it seems to translate just fine, it was kinda of an experiment just to cycle - I cramped a bit up on the last 5 km, but still, that was very much to be expected...

Thinking of 1.35 next time, and then 1.30 at some point in 2018. Lets see if I can do that...

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I went for 1.43 on a half-marathon today on a completely flat route (it was a little windy and muddy though, so not super optimal still). Im pretty happy with that time considering I haven't run for a few weeks, just focusing on the bike and going for some decent rides. And it seems to translate just fine, it was kinda of an experiment just to cycle - I cramped a bit up on the last 5 km, but still, that was very much to be expected...

Thinking of 1.35 next time, and then 1.30 at some point in 2018. Lets see if I can do that...

How do your shins feel after not running for a few weeks? I can understand the cardio from riding helping the running, but what your shins?

Good-bye, Historical Hayward Field. :cry:

http://katu.com/news/local/west-grandstand-coming-down-at-uos-hayward-field

Wasn't ever much of a runner, but I certainly appreciated walking to Hayward Field and watching the pros strut their stuff at the annual Prefontaine Classic.

In my mind this remodeling of Hayward Field is just another way of Phil Knight flaunting his money, hopefully the new generations of track and fielders will know what to do with it.

Re:

ebandit said:
never thought I would add to this thread but new dog...new attitude

been running along with the dog and on my own up to an hour+

running philosophy....only run interesting places unpaved as much as poss

with greatest altitude change woodland/single track/open grassland

NEVER wear fitness tracker don't run further than manage comfortably without water

have zero idea of time taken/distance covered ENJOY that calm zone

breath/step.................breath/step

Mark L
I stopped racing (mountain bikes) and just ride because I enjoy it now. One of the best things beyond the actual ride, is not giving a crap about time, distance, HR, etc. Stop and watch the hawks hunt, ride, stop and watch the coyote hunt, ride, that was a cool section...turn around ride it again, listen to the tires, hear the birds... In another thread several were shocked that I don't even take my phone with me.

To keep on topic here: Running used to be a bad weather cross-training for me so even though I didn't enjoy running so much in itself, I did like the freedom from data.

Read about the multiple benefits of running over walking.. running also seems to manipulate you chemically in were the substances that make you hungry are slightly surppressed..so not only do you get the benefits but you also feel less like attending the Pizza Hut buffet..in S.Cal the go-to for places to eat your body weight in food is Soup Plantation...

When I run people stop and ask me if they can please, please, please give me a ride wherever I am going..
the police stop me after identifying that I am not a heel striker or landing on my toes first.. but instead that my whole foot makes contact at the same time..
making it uncomfortable for everyone who sees me.. possibly damaging to the surface I am running on.
.my latest New Balance @998 are still looking good from lack of use..
When I see people running..or kind of gliding effortless..I get a mix of angry and jealous.. when I go shopping or get something to drink I see those same people miles from where they started... still levitating and looking fresh..as if the last 4 or 8 miles went unnoticed and unregistered on their pain meter...
I think the should be arrested for my sake..
God bless anyone who can run..
* Side note for anybody who loves athletic competition.. if you can go to the Boston or NYC marathon and sit near a hill or @15-18 miles into the race.. you will be in absolute awe as they elite runners pass.. it's full speed..sprinting for normal people.. impressive at the very least..

Really love the photo of the late great Betty Cuthbert
https://goo.gl/images/FCGNRb from 6+ decades ago
in Sydney July 1952 years before her 100/200/4x100
triple Olympic Gold Medal performance in Melbourne
1956 and her 400m. Olympic Gold in Tokyo 1964.

It's always fun to compare and contrast the times and
performances from different eras, however, today the
girls do not compete in their school uniforms including
buttoned blouse and tie!

Never knew anything about Betty Cuthbert..read a few good bits..worked hard for MS advocacy..the old photos are fascinating.. Australia had a population of @8.5 million back then..
Grew up in Paradise Vally\Scottsdale Arizona....Jesse Owens was on TV..doing public service announcement stuff.he was pretty old..it was many years later I got exposure to what his Olympic victory meant for him and Hitler..
I am always floored by early Australian athletics...landmass is equal to the U.S. ..it's like a big pie were everyone lives along the crust..I can't get over how many awesome athletes come out of this place!!!then and now..

Chris Horner lives in Bend.. if he is not still trying to be a pro bike racer he will surely go down and pick up a beat up copy of Forrest Gump or Bettlejuice for you on VHS.. maybe some Goobers or Milk Duds... so you will know that hope exists..

On running..I am still watching running stuff on YouTube..OMG.. Donald Sutherland plays Fontaine's coach and the guy from Breaking Bad is part of the coaching staff..Hank.. there is a few awesome videos of Dave Wottle... the entire 1972 Olympic thing is epic... lots of memories of ABC wide world of sports announcers.. these guys don't look like they did anything other than run and not eat for training!!!!
I don't feel bad..or not that bad about myself eating cold pizza watching running videos..at least I am watching running.. that's a start.
I am going for Zola Budd for desert..