Ruta del Sol 2017

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:
Thats just stupid, KB. Kiriyenka obviously went all out, its not like he finished 70th or something like that. On top of that, the two GC-stages are done and dusted, so the slight possibility of Sky wanting to hold him back in order to dig in for his leaders in the mountains are gone. He might not be in 100% shape, but stop pretending like he didn't race for the win or at least as fast he possibly could. If nothing else then to gauge is form. As a TT-specialist, you only have this many opportunities every year. Using the 12 km time trial as a mere workout? Lol.

Anyways, the premis is pretty ridiculous anyways. If you don't want to call Campenaerts a specialist, well, then not many are.
I'm sorry, I did not realise you are Kiri's wife/coach.
Stop ridiculing yourself more than you need to and accept you are way off here.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Alexandre B. said:
Why is there a discussion about this? Campenaerts is renown for his TT ability.
To be honest it was just a bit of a joke as Valverde isn't really renowned for his brilliance in TT. Some people seem to take things much too personally though.
Ah, the old it was a joke explanation, after trying to defend the statement for several posts. :eek:
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Alexandre B. said:
Why is there a discussion about this? Campenaerts is renown for his TT ability.
To be honest it was just a bit of a joke as Valverde isn't really renowned for his brilliance in TT. Some people seem to take things much too personally though.
It really didn't seem like you were joking. And honestly, Im pretty sure you wasn't, but its an easy way to get out and make me look the one at fault. ;)
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Alexandre B. said:
Why is there a discussion about this? Campenaerts is renown for his TT ability.
To be honest it was just a bit of a joke as Valverde isn't really renowned for his brilliance in TT. Some people seem to take things much too personally though.
It really didn't seem like you were joking. And honestly, Im pretty sure you wasn't, but its an easy way to get out and make me look the one at fault. ;)
Yeah, after all that 164th in the Criterium prologue was awesome...
 
Valverde is a good TTer, just not a specialist that performs super well in the Tour events. The specialization within the sport - and the refinements of preparation it entails - has made even a good TT less effective against the specialists when hitting their targets. Plus Valverde reaches a very high level in the early season and carries it through the Ardennes classics. So his performance wasn't surprising and rather should have been expected. It's more surprising that Contador was nearly as fast, which means he evidently is on the right path. And with a few more races in his legs, might come through with some really good showings in later TT events.
 
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Alexandre B. said:
Why is there a discussion about this? Campenaerts is renown for his TT ability.
To be honest it was just a bit of a joke as Valverde isn't really renowned for his brilliance in TT. Some people seem to take things much too personally though.
It really didn't seem like you were joking. And honestly, Im pretty sure you wasn't, but its an easy way to get out and make me look the one at fault. ;)
Yeah, after all that 164th in the Criterium prologue was awesome...
zzzz
The TT obviously favoured climbing TT riders so in that regard he did great.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
del1962 said:
yaco said:
Pinot the diesel climber times his move to perfection - Climbs at the Giro will suit his characteristics - Its a matter of whether he can hold his form for 3 weeks.
And there is also the descents
Good point - Forgot about the descents.
Look at Pinot's descending in Lombardia when he podiumed, in Romandie last year, in the rain, or...Stage 1 of this very Ruta del Sol: he made up time. He's no Sagan, but when he's in a good place mentally, Tibopino is as good a descender as just about anyone.

Not so long ago, he also had a reputation for being a poor ITT rider. And some still believe that, despite his win over Dumoulin and Froome in Romandie last year and his bludgeoning of World silver medalist Coppel last June.

Holding his form for three weeks? Three top-10 in GTs, that should answer it. The problem last year for Pinot was that he was strong non-stop from the end of Algarve until the Dauphine, where he started feeling weak, yet beat Bardet for a MTF and a stage win. He had peaked pretty much for three months, and in between races, if you look at his training rides on Strava, it was insane. What were his Bro and Grappe thinking?

I was expecting a little more today, but like FDJ's DS Thierry Bricaud said (just posted on the FDJ website), Thibaut would have lost 30-40 secondes a few years ago. Bricaud also regretted that the choice of gear today was too conservative.

In any case, it was a good ITT for Pinot and if the GC doesn't change, that's a great week for him.

Hats off to Campenaerts. Great performance. And props to Bertie, as well of course as Don Alejandro, the male version of Jeannie Longo. How long can this dude keep going like this? He might be peaking for 330 days this year instead of his usual 300 :D . Amazing...
 
I have to say I'm a little surprised that Valverde was the fastest of the GC riders. I know he is usually strong in short TTs especially in Spain and in this time of year. But still I thought Pinot, Contador and Ion would do better than him. Sorry to hear Ion crashed. I think he would have taken the lead today if not for the crash. Hopefully he's ok.

It's kind of an anticlimax the last two stages have little to no terrain for Contador or Pinot to try to do something and take back that second (6 seconds).
 
Re:

johnymax said:
I have to say I'm a little surprised that Valverde was the fastest of the GC riders. I know he is usually strong in short TTs especially in Spain and in this time of year. But still I thought Pinot, Contador and Ion would do better than him. Sorry to hear Ion crashed. I think he would have taken the lead today if not for the crash. Hopefully he's ok.

It's kind of an anticlimax the last two stages have little to no terrain for Contador or Pinot to try to do something and take back that second (6 seconds).
I don't think so. He looked bad on the climb in the start of the TT. Clearly not at 100%.
 
Re:

johnymax said:
I have to say I'm a little surprised that Valverde was the fastest of the GC riders. I know he is usually strong in short TTs especially in Spain and in this time of year. But still I thought Pinot, Contador and Ion would do better than him. Sorry to hear Ion crashed. I think he would have taken the lead today if not for the crash. Hopefully he's ok.

It's kind of an anticlimax the last two stages have little to no terrain for Contador or Pinot to try to do something and take back that second (6 seconds).
Valverde: I leave it at that. He peaks early, all the time, what else is there to say ;) ?

The design is crap indeed. There should be a climb near or at the finish on the final stage, even if it's a murito, something. We're going to have two days of meh, I'm afraid.

Regardless, Berto at 80% looks good but needs more endurance/mileage, he hasn't lost the fire, and that's great. Of course, and I'm biased, but Pinot's performance after his good showing at La Marseillaise and a stomach flu is encouraging. Landa has some legs and he's feisty. Good edition IMO.

But yeah, the course sucks: two days of TdF week one coming up. Meh.

I hope that I'm wrong, but unless one of the Top-3 and his team falls asleep, that's it.
 
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
King Boonen said:
Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Alexandre B. said:
Why is there a discussion about this? Campenaerts is renown for his TT ability.
To be honest it was just a bit of a joke as Valverde isn't really renowned for his brilliance in TT. Some people seem to take things much too personally though.
It really didn't seem like you were joking. And honestly, Im pretty sure you wasn't, but its an easy way to get out and make me look the one at fault. ;)
Yeah, after all that 164th in the Criterium prologue was awesome...
zzzz
The TT obviously favoured climbing TT riders so in that regard he did great.
Yup. Scrolling through PCS to prove a point. Thinking he has found gold until he realises it was a 4k prologue at 10% in average. Lol. :lol:
 
Apr 22, 2012
3,570
0
0
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Cink is in some great company in top ten. A real pleasant suprise.
Yep, and it was FIRST ITT in his life! Guy looks like real talent. Bahrain are probably over the moon with him, I don't think he costs them big money :)
 
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
This wasn't discussed yesterday but Poels showed why he was the designated leader at Sky.
Not sure he did. Do you mean by finishing behind all the other big GC riders in the TT?

That hardly justifies making Rosa and Landa wait for him and work for him on the previous two hilly stages, when they could have potentially gained time on the climbs.

Poels is 4th, Rosa 5th and Landa 6th overall. I'm not sure a rider finishing one place above two domestiques who had to sacrifice their own ambitions on consecutive stages, has justified his role as leader. Especially considering he hasn't come close to winning a stage either - which Rosa or Landa may well have been able to do.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
2
0
Pinot did third in tour 2014 only because the field was garbage. He did top 10 in other editions only because sky (and other teams) left him go because he was far behind. Bar 2014 he never was able to follow his gc rivals consistently. For me he won't be able to finish in top 5 in giro
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Alexandre B. said:
This wasn't discussed yesterday but Poels showed why he was the designated leader at Sky.
Not sure he did. Do you mean by finishing behind all the other big GC riders in the TT?

That hardly justifies making Rosa and Landa wait for him and work for him on the previous two hilly stages, when they could have potentially gained time on the climbs.

Poels is 4th, Rosa 5th and Landa 6th overall. I'm not sure a rider finishing one place above two domestiques who had to sacrifice their own ambitions on consecutive stages, has justified his role as leader. Especially considering he hasn't come close to winning a stage either - which Rosa or Landa may well have been able to do.
Where did they sacrifice for Poels? I saw Rosa in the first stage chasing Alberto and Izagirre, not waiting for Poels, and also saw Rosa and Landa in pursuit of Pinot in stage 2, while Poels dropped. Didn't saw anybody sacrifice anything for Poels
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY